- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 2
Duplicated pages with odd URLs
- jberry210490
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
12 years 5 months ago #154310
by jberry210490
Duplicated pages with odd URLs was created by jberry210490
Hi there,
I've got some pages that appear to be duplicated on my site with really odd URL's - I can't see the rationale in them or track down the duplicate in the back end.
For instance:
www.claycellar.co.uk/raw-materials/liqui...-sodium-dispex-500ml
www.claycellar.co.uk/tools/product/2439-sodium-dispex-500ml
This was something google webmaster pointed out to me. This product is stored in the raw materials/liquids category. I can't for the life of me figure out where theres another page under tools pointing to the same product. Theres a couple of other similar examples.
I'm using Joomla 2.5.14 and Hikashop 2.3.0.
Best wishes,
Jonathan
I've got some pages that appear to be duplicated on my site with really odd URL's - I can't see the rationale in them or track down the duplicate in the back end.
For instance:
www.claycellar.co.uk/raw-materials/liqui...-sodium-dispex-500ml
www.claycellar.co.uk/tools/product/2439-sodium-dispex-500ml
This was something google webmaster pointed out to me. This product is stored in the raw materials/liquids category. I can't for the life of me figure out where theres another page under tools pointing to the same product. Theres a couple of other similar examples.
I'm using Joomla 2.5.14 and Hikashop 2.3.0.
Best wishes,
Jonathan
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
12 years 5 months ago #154326
by condorazul
Replied by condorazul on topic Duplicated pages with odd URLs
You have the product assigned to two categories?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
12 years 5 months ago #154313
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Duplicated pages with odd URLs
Hi,
If Google tells you that there is a tools menu item with a link to that product, there must be one, or at least there was one before and Google didn't reindex the pages since then.
To avoid duplicates, the best is to enter the main URL of the product in the "Canonical URL" option of your products. That way, Google will know the know URL, will keep only this one and won't penalize your pages.
If Google tells you that there is a tools menu item with a link to that product, there must be one, or at least there was one before and Google didn't reindex the pages since then.
To avoid duplicates, the best is to enter the main URL of the product in the "Canonical URL" option of your products. That way, Google will know the know URL, will keep only this one and won't penalize your pages.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- jberry210490
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 2
12 years 4 months ago #154748
by jberry210490
Replied by jberry210490 on topic Duplicated pages with odd URLs
Hi Nicolas,
Thanks for this. Just to be clear: I was never doubting that the duplicate page exists/ed. It definately exists as you can click on both the above links and they take you to the same page. I was asking how to make sure that the duplicates don't exist. As far as I am aware the product is only assigned to a single category.
I didn't know about the canonical URL option. We will try this to see if it solves the problem.
Best wishes,
Jonathan
Thanks for this. Just to be clear: I was never doubting that the duplicate page exists/ed. It definately exists as you can click on both the above links and they take you to the same page. I was asking how to make sure that the duplicates don't exist. As far as I am aware the product is only assigned to a single category.
I didn't know about the canonical URL option. We will try this to see if it solves the problem.
Best wishes,
Jonathan
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- jberry210490
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 2
12 years 4 months ago #154893
by jberry210490
Replied by jberry210490 on topic Duplicated pages with odd URLs
Hi Nicolas,
So we've have been through and added canonical urls. By my understanding, I would expect this to add a tag to the page with the rel field set to canonical. I ca't see this anywhere in the page source - should i be able to?
Best wishes,
Jonathan
So we've have been through and added canonical urls. By my understanding, I would expect this to add a tag to the page with the rel field set to canonical. I ca't see this anywhere in the page source - should i be able to?
Best wishes,
Jonathan
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
12 years 4 months ago #154895
by Xavier
Replied by Xavier on topic Duplicated pages with odd URLs
Hi,
Yes you should see the canonical url in the page source. (Ctrl + U), then if you search for "canonical" you should see the meta tag (in the head part of the code).
If you don't have it, that's maybe because you had edited the view "product / show". In that view, you should see the code for the canonical meta tag, if you don't, thanks to reset the view (don't forget to save your modifications in an external view) and try again.
Yes you should see the canonical url in the page source. (Ctrl + U), then if you search for "canonical" you should see the meta tag (in the head part of the code).
If you don't have it, that's maybe because you had edited the view "product / show". In that view, you should see the code for the canonical meta tag, if you don't, thanks to reset the view (don't forget to save your modifications in an external view) and try again.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds