Skip to main content

Categories on front page

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #157332 by MadMan
-- url of the page with the problem -- : madman.co.za
-- HikaShop version -- : Business 2.3.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.2.3
-- PHP version -- :5.?
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Firefox

With reference to Chinooktec.com, I would like to create the same sort of category listing with images, where a mouse over results in a display of the sub categories under the main category.

I can place a (std or maximenu ?) on the homepage article with loadposition,
but how do I display the category images with the mouseover to sub categories ? I cannot get my head around the basic layering of hika modules, menus and or maximenus to get this to work

I tried the carosel with slider images but mouseover only gives me description. Should I create separate hika category menu module for each category item ?

Additional to this, I would also like to add the menu on the left that appears once you have clicked on a sub category, but I assume this is a simple hika category menu in the left position, vertical etc etc ?

EDIT-- After looking at the Parameters for DIV section, the problem would be solved if there where an option "Display sub category" under the effect dropdown or similar. Currently the effect is customisable, but the displayed information is pre-set to description, if this could have an option of "description" OR "sub category" that would be a great feature.
Thanks alot
Regards
Brian

Engine Monitoring and Performance Systems
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by MadMan. Reason: nore info and fix typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #157373 by Mohamed Thelji
Hello Brian,

EDIT-- After looking at the Parameters for DIV section, the problem would be solved if there where an option "Display sub category" under the effect dropdown or similar. Currently the effect is customisable, but the displayed information is pre-set to description, if this could have an option of "description" OR "sub category" that would be a great feature.

To do what you want the solution will be to directly edit the code of the "listing_slider_vertical" file of the "category" view, of your front-end template and change these lines :
Code:
<!-- CATEGORY DESCRIPTION --> <div class="hikashop_category_desc" style="height=<?php echo $height; ?>px; text-align:<?php echo $this->align; ?>; overflow:hidden"> <?php echo preg_replace('#<hr *id="system-readmore" */>.*#is','',$this->row->category_description); ?> </div> <!-- EO CATEGORY DESCRIPTION -->
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadMan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #157583 by MadMan
Replied by MadMan on topic Categories on front page
Hi Mohamed,
Thank you, I figured it would be there.

If I change this listing view file's content, is it changed for all instances where the vertical slider is used ? I still use the vertical slider elsewhere so I would need to make an additional listing file.

Unfortunately I have not had time yet to get to understand php so I cannot do any mods here, if you have some code that will work I will be greatefull, otherwise I will have to find another way to achieve this or change my layout plans.

Thank you for your help
Regards
Brian

Engine Monitoring and Performance Systems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #157584 by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Categories on front page
Hi,

When you change it, it will change for all the menus/modules using it. But there is the possibility to change its name and if you do that you can get a new view file that you will be able to select in your menus/modules.

The code modifications will depend on what you want exactly. The best would be to find a developer via our commercial jobs forum, joomlancers.com or resources.joomla.org to help you with that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadMan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #157657 by MadMan
Replied by MadMan on topic Categories on front page
Thanks to Mohammed and Nicolas.

I will pay with it a bit. I have decided to start reading up about xHTML, CSS and PHP and get to grips with it...save us all some time :cheer:

Regards
Brian

Engine Monitoring and Performance Systems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum