How to prepare an Excel file for import
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.3.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.3.0
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.28
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : Error_message
I am not sure the best way to proceed with this (see attached Excel Price List from Polycom)
But it would seem it would be prudent to firstly parse the existing sheet into something more palatable for HikaShop.
Any guidance here would be gratefully received.
I am no programmer but reasonably competent in Excel...
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Have you read that documentation ?
hikashop.com/support/support/documentati...hikashop-import.html
It explains how the csv import work in HikaShop, and how to format the csv file.
You can to create example products in your shop, then export them to have a real example of a valid csv file.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I see by creating an export file AFTER I make some valid Category and Product entries into HikaShop, i can make a 'template' of how to set up my source .csv for import - clever solution, thanks I'll try your suggestion now.
Although I expect the way the Categories and Sub-Categories have been formatted in the source spreadsheet may be problematic, I'll see.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Indeed, you will have to manage the csv file before importing it in order to have the correct format.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I have attached the Polycom Price list.
A main Category,
REALPRESENCE ROOM
Can be seen on Row 1
2 Sub-categories;
HDX Executive Collection Stand Systems
Service - HDX Executive Collection
Can be seen on Row 3 and Row 9;
A further nested Sub-Category of Service - HDX Executive Collection;
Installation Services
is on Row 14
As these are the Categories and Sub-Categories for all the Polycom products, we will need them to be created and ready for monthly updates from Polycom
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
You can add one category per row in the csv. They must be filled in the column "category" and "parent_category" depending on the three.
Example:
parent_category;category
;realpresence room
realpresence room;HDX Executive Collection Stand Systems
realpresence room;Service - HDX Executive Collection
HDX Executive Collection Stand Systems;Installation Services
You just have to keep this format, but the categories can be in row1, 3, 9 and 14. You just need to have the parent category before the child one.
Hope this will help you.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I have manually edited the original Polycom price list to prepare it for (monthly) export to .csv.
I am no expert at Excel, and i have assumed what has taken much manual cut and pasting, can be achieved either by VB or scripting (not sure what approach is preferable).
The original May Polycom price list and the manually modified spreadsheet are both attached here. If i have it correct, i will employ an Excel expert to created the necessary conversion code.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
This is the same price list with a page of the same list I have modified (prior to changing to .csv format)
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
just the modified version
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Trying again
to attach Source (unmodified) and Target (manually modified ) versions of the Polycom price list.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please log in or register to see it.
Please log in or register to see it.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
For the column names, you need to use the ones from HikaShop.
So Category should actually be parent_category, child category should be categories, long description should be product_description RRP should be price_value and product id should be product_code
Also, for the price, you need to remove the $.
And finally for the last product, the grandchild category should actually be in the child category column and the child category should be in the category column.
To simplify the categories, the best is to pre created your categories via the interface of HikaShop and then just specify the direct category of the product in the "categories" column. That should be simplify your script for generating the CSV file in the correct format.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I have made the recommended changes, but feel there is still an issue with what I labelled as "grandchild" category.
To explain, throughout the entire Polycom price list there are 3 levels of category.
In that price list (see attached) all categories are placed in column A
The highest level can be identified by the fact it is all in upper case. (e.g. REALPRESENCE ROOM)
The second level is identified by have a grey background (e.g. HDX Executive Collection Stand Systems)
The third level can be identified by the fact it has no formatting (e.g. Polycom Branded Services)
Please log in or register to see it.
Therefore in the Manually Modified v02 (see attached) I have labelled them;
parent_category (example REALPRESENCE ROOM)
categories (example HDX Executive Collection Stand Systems)
child_category (example Polycom Branded Services)
Please log in or register to see it.
Is this correct and ready for conversion to .csv for HikaShop?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please log in or register to see it.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I have placed it here in my Dropbox account in both .xls and zip formats.
db.tt/pTJNmyB2
db.tt/mGYrAejj
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Here is the file I would recommend:
Please log in or register to see it.
As you can see, I left only the categories column for the categories. This assumes that you already have the categories created via the menu Products>Categories.
I've also fixed the product_description column name.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Thnaks for that, it is very much appreciated.
However i am still not sure all is OK.
In the case of the category;
Polycom Branded Services
This is a subset or child category of;
Service - HDX Executive Collection
Which in turn is a subset or child category of
HDX Executive Collection Stand Systems
This pattern is repeated throughout the entire Polycom Price List
As the price list is over 2,000 line items it is important that we can by programming, automate the monthly updates as they arrive from Polycom.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.