- Posts: 35
- Thank you received: 0
Always showing categories, all products
14 years 10 months ago #30996
by austio
Always showing categories, all products was created by austio
I have a 3 questions. I am sure they are simple, but I have read the docs and try for two days but I think I am missing something.
Site: rockhartclothing . com / store (development only)
1) How do I get the category list module to always show all the categories, regardless of clicking on a parent that has children?
Right now, if you click (example) Shirts, it lists Men's/Women's, but would like it to list ALL the others as seen on the main list.
2) Children categories do not display correctly in category for LIST, showing fancy divs and ul combo? Under "Shirts" should be "Men/Womens" but they are displayed in the same ul,li(child1),li(parent1) list, but it should be a ul,li(parent1),ul(children),li(child1),li(child2)
3) How do I get the default category listing to show all products from all categories when set to the root category (as I think I read that you can)? Currently you only see a product if you click a parent category (for example) "Shirts" (the product is only in "Shirts"). Created an "all" category to work around this, but thought I would ask as other people seem to be able to do this without a separate category all the products have to be added to.
Site: rockhartclothing . com / store (development only)
1) How do I get the category list module to always show all the categories, regardless of clicking on a parent that has children?
Right now, if you click (example) Shirts, it lists Men's/Women's, but would like it to list ALL the others as seen on the main list.
2) Children categories do not display correctly in category for LIST, showing fancy divs and ul combo? Under "Shirts" should be "Men/Womens" but they are displayed in the same ul,li(child1),li(parent1) list, but it should be a ul,li(parent1),ul(children),li(child1),li(child2)
3) How do I get the default category listing to show all products from all categories when set to the root category (as I think I read that you can)? Currently you only see a product if you click a parent category (for example) "Shirts" (the product is only in "Shirts"). Created an "all" category to work around this, but thought I would ask as other people seem to be able to do this without a separate category all the products have to be added to.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 10 months ago #31022
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
1. You need to turn off the option "content synchronize" in the hikashop options of your categories listing module.
2. That's normal. If you want them displayed differently, you can edit the file "listing_list" of the view "category" in the menu Display->Views.
3. You can do that by changing the option "sub element filter" to "all sub elements" in the hikashop options of the products listing associated module of your category listing menu.
2. That's normal. If you want them displayed differently, you can edit the file "listing_list" of the view "category" in the menu Display->Views.
3. You can do that by changing the option "sub element filter" to "all sub elements" in the hikashop options of the products listing associated module of your category listing menu.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 10 months ago #31037
by austio
Replied by austio on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
Excellent. That helped a lot. I had thinks switched around, using a cat listing on the menu with associated prod mod. But once switched to a prod view for the menu with associated cat lisiting mod, I was able to get the options for #1.
#2 I'll make code changes then.
#3 Worked just as you said.
One other question that now has come up. If I click on a category, I now see a listing with its children categories, but now products. How would I go about with it just showing all products within all its children categories? That way the now constant category list would serve to provide a more of a "drill-down" filtering function.
#2 I'll make code changes then.
#3 Worked just as you said.
One other question that now has come up. If I click on a category, I now see a listing with its children categories, but now products. How would I go about with it just showing all products within all its children categories? That way the now constant category list would serve to provide a more of a "drill-down" filtering function.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 10 months ago #31061
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
Hard to say as I'm a bit lost in your explanation. Could you give a link to your page so that we can see what you did ?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 8 months ago #35101
by austio
Replied by austio on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
Sorry about this very delayed response and clarification.
The explanation above "I now see a listing with its children categories, but now products" should really read "but NO products".
Basically, I have the product categories listed, and when I click a parent category, I see its children listed. What I would like to see is all products in the parent cat, regardless of the child. Then, if you were to click on a child from the product category listing, products in that specific cat (and any of its children) would show.
Webpage is rockhartclothing (dot) com / store
Don't mind the mess, I'm trying to figure out what does what in your php code
The explanation above "I now see a listing with its children categories, but now products" should really read "but NO products".
Basically, I have the product categories listed, and when I click a parent category, I see its children listed. What I would like to see is all products in the parent cat, regardless of the child. Then, if you were to click on a child from the product category listing, products in that specific cat (and any of its children) would show.
Webpage is rockhartclothing (dot) com / store
Don't mind the mess, I'm trying to figure out what does what in your php code
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 8 months ago #35124
by austio
Replied by austio on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
After messing around, I am have problems again with my first question you answered about a month ago. The layout is now correct. I have category menu at left and content mod at right (see web address above).
However, I removed the association between the category menu and associated product module so I could achieve the desired operation where only products where ever displayed in the right module, and not the combo category/product listing BELOW the category menu.
But, not matter what I do now, I can no longer get ALL the categories to be listed on the category menu (including children) all the time. There is no "content sync" option in a category listing menu.
However, I removed the association between the category menu and associated product module so I could achieve the desired operation where only products where ever displayed in the right module, and not the combo category/product listing BELOW the category menu.
But, not matter what I do now, I can no longer get ALL the categories to be listed on the category menu (including children) all the time. There is no "content sync" option in a category listing menu.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 8 months ago #35125
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
I can see that you're almost there.
For the last point: "Then, if you were to click on a child from the product category listing, products in that specific cat (and any of its children) would show."
You will have to change the option "Content on product page" to "In the same category" in the hikashop options of your products listing module.
For the last point: "Then, if you were to click on a child from the product category listing, products in that specific cat (and any of its children) would show."
You will have to change the option "Content on product page" to "In the same category" in the hikashop options of your products listing module.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 8 months ago #35126
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
Yes, on a menu the content is always in sync with the current category.
If you want a category listing on the side to be static, you should instead create a category listing module and deactivate its synchronization.
Then, when you click on a category of that module, it would display the content in the main area and your module would stay the same.
If you want a category listing on the side to be static, you should instead create a category listing module and deactivate its synchronization.
Then, when you click on a category of that module, it would display the content in the main area and your module would stay the same.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 8 months ago #35132
by austio
Replied by austio on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
I am missing something major. I changed the menu to a prod listing and created a category listing module.
At first it looks to work correctly; products from the cats are displayed in the main area, the category list module is static.
But if I click a category, I get 404 errors by Joomla. I added the "/store" bit in front and the "/##-category" and that accesses a valid page at least, with the category module still static (good), but the main area does not display sub products, and now just shows sub categories...
At first it looks to work correctly; products from the cats are displayed in the main area, the category list module is static.
But if I click a category, I get 404 errors by Joomla. I added the "/store" bit in front and the "/##-category" and that accesses a valid page at least, with the category module still static (good), but the main area does not display sub products, and now just shows sub categories...
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 8 months ago #35133
by austio
Replied by austio on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
... and the category menu has returned below the main product area.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 8 months ago #35160
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Always showing categories, all products
When you create category listing module, it has to be associated with a category listing menu with the "menu" option of the module. If that's not the case, you will see 404errors. Normally, when you create a category listing module by following our tutorial, that is created automatically.
If you don't see the products on the main area, that's because the products listing module which is also created automatically for the category listing menu is not configured properly in the options of the menu.
The category listing menu is always displayed in the main area. You must be talking about a category listing module which is displayed below your main content. It can be caused by two things:
1. The module was added as associated module to your menu.
2. That module was added vi the module manager to a position below the main area of your template.
If you don't see the products on the main area, that's because the products listing module which is also created automatically for the category listing menu is not configured properly in the options of the menu.
The category listing menu is always displayed in the main area. You must be talking about a category listing module which is displayed below your main content. It can be caused by two things:
1. The module was added as associated module to your menu.
2. That module was added vi the module manager to a position below the main area of your template.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds