Setting Up Tax in Australia
14 years 9 months ago #32021
by eng
Setting Up Tax in Australia was created by eng
I'm setting up a site that only sells within Australia, and the tax rate is a 10% GST tax.
1) What are the step-by-step procedure for setting up the default tax rate so that 10% is calculated for item sold?
2) Do I need to calculate 10% for every product that I create on the price I charge?
Thanks
1) What are the step-by-step procedure for setting up the default tax rate so that 10% is calculated for item sold?
2) Do I need to calculate 10% for every product that I create on the price I charge?
Thanks
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 9 months ago #32048
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Setting Up Tax in Australia
Hi,
1.
Go in System->Taxation, click on "manage rates" and create a new rate at 10%. Then, go back to System->Taxation and create a new tax rule and select your country, the tax rate, the tax category and save. Then, in your configuration make sure that the default tax zone is your country and then in each products, you need to select the default tax category.
Then the tax should be applied automatically to products prices on your front end.
2. No. That will be calculated automatically based on your taxes settings.
1.
Go in System->Taxation, click on "manage rates" and create a new rate at 10%. Then, go back to System->Taxation and create a new tax rule and select your country, the tax rate, the tax category and save. Then, in your configuration make sure that the default tax zone is your country and then in each products, you need to select the default tax category.
Then the tax should be applied automatically to products prices on your front end.
2. No. That will be calculated automatically based on your taxes settings.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 9 months ago #32117
by eng
Replied by eng on topic Re: Setting Up Tax in Australia
Hi,
Thanks for the steps below. I just wanted a few clarifications:
1. Go in System->Taxation, click on "manage rates" and create a new rate at 10%.Go in System->Taxation, click on "manage rates" and create a new rate at 10%.
OK
Then, go back to System->Taxation and create a new tax rule and select your country, the tax rate, the tax category and save.
In Tax Category, there is only None & Default Tax category which was already setup by the system. Do I need to set one up i.e "GST" or use the Default Tax category?
In my case I used the Default Tax Category, is this correct?
What is the default tax category anyway?
Then, in your configuration make sure that the default tax zone is your country and then in each products, you need to select the default tax category. Then the tax should be applied automatically to products prices on your front end.
Great!
Thanks
Thanks for the steps below. I just wanted a few clarifications:
1. Go in System->Taxation, click on "manage rates" and create a new rate at 10%.Go in System->Taxation, click on "manage rates" and create a new rate at 10%.
OK
Then, go back to System->Taxation and create a new tax rule and select your country, the tax rate, the tax category and save.
In Tax Category, there is only None & Default Tax category which was already setup by the system. Do I need to set one up i.e "GST" or use the Default Tax category?
In my case I used the Default Tax Category, is this correct?
What is the default tax category anyway?
Then, in your configuration make sure that the default tax zone is your country and then in each products, you need to select the default tax category. Then the tax should be applied automatically to products prices on your front end.
Great!
Thanks
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 9 months ago #32150
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Setting Up Tax in Australia
Hi,
You can use the default one yes.
Tax categories can be used if you sell for example wine and books about wine on your website and that the former would have a tax rate at 40% and the later a tax at 5%. That enables you to differentiate them in your tax rules.
You can use the default one yes.
Tax categories can be used if you sell for example wine and books about wine on your website and that the former would have a tax rate at 40% and the later a tax at 5%. That enables you to differentiate them in your tax rules.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds