Skip to main content

Affiliate link only works if pointed to root dir

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #41147 by seoweb
Hello,

For some reason the affiliation ID link only works if pointed to the root derectory of the website:
Code:
http://www.xyz.com/?promo_id=877
.

If I want to use the Affiliate ID link for a product page, for example, it does not work any more:
Code:
http://www.xyz.com/mobile-broadband/product/23-3g-xx-yy-zz/?promo_id=877
. But the Click is being registered at the back end of the website!

My question is how can I make the Affiliate ID link to work for any page or any product page within the website?

Thanx for your help!
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by seoweb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #41271 by seoweb
Hello again,

I have got it working using this kind of link:
Code:
http://www.xyz.com/index.php/mobile-broadband/product/25-3g-xx-yy-zz/?promo_id=877

So the difference is /index.php within the url.

But this solution is not beautiful, you know, so still the same question. Can I make it working using a built in SEO logic of Joomla?

Ideally it should look something like this:
Code:
http://www.xyz.com/any-subfolder/more-sub/even-more-sub/?promo_id=877
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by seoweb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #41334 by nicolas
So it seems to be related to the SEF.

What if you try that:
Code:
http://www.xyz.com/mobile-broadband/product/23-3g-xx-yy-zz/promo_id-877

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #41368 by seoweb
I have run the test today again and looks like my previous tests were not good enough.
The first link I have tested yesterday was www.xyz.com/?promo_id=877 which works anyway, so the cookie was created. Obviusly any other link I have tested after that was working fine, because I did not clear the cache and cookies before I was testing another link.

The problem is that none of the links actually work together with Affiliate ID prefix apart of root folder link (i.e. www.xyz.com/?promo_id=877 )!

I really need to make it working with any product page URL within the website.

Please advice.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by seoweb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #41539 by seoweb
Ok, Looks like this was solved in version 1.5.5 as it says in a description:
'The cookie for the affiliate system was not working properly when the banner URLs were SEFed'

Since I am using 1.5.4 the problem is still there... Sorry I did not mention about this!

May I have the names of files which were actually changed to fix the issue and I will try to transfer the fix to my version?

Or if it is just 'a few lines of code here and there' solution, please provide me with some pieces of code and instructions where to copy/paste?

Thanx a lot!
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by seoweb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #41541 by nicolas
Ah yes, that could well be the problem !

It's the file plugins/system/hikashopaffiliate.php that you should update.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seoweb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #41672 by seoweb
Solved by updating the file to latest (1.5.6) version.

Thanx a lot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum