- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
RESOLVED: Understanding Variants - Product Ids
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
Less
More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #50943
by scottshort
RESOLVED: Understanding Variants - Product Ids was created by scottshort
I was hoping to use variant product ids as part of my inventory control [placed on product in inventory] in order to avoid shipping the wrong product. If I use Hikashop to create variants for my product inventory each variant is given a unique product id number. If in the future I need to edit my characteristics [lets say delete a color because it is no longer being produced, and add a new color that has just arrived in stock] am I able to make these changes from the characteristics page and see the new changes without having to generate a completely new variants table? Or must I always delete all of the characteristic from the product and then re-add them in again in order to regenerate a new table including the changes? Aside from extra steps involved, I am concerned that each time I do this, it is likely that my product id numbers will change: for example, Product shoe5_1_2_3_4 which used to be brown size 36 will now be orange size 40. This would certainly mess me up if all the shoes in inventory have product id labels. Is this an issue? Is there a way to avoid product ids from changing even when specific characteristics are added or deleted? How is everyone dealing with this?
Thanks
Scott
Thanks
Scott
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by scottshort. Reason: RESOLVED
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 4 months ago #51072
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Understanding Variants - Product Ids
Hi,
You will have to change the variants for each product for now (we have in the todo list to possibility to do that automatically in the future). The product ids will indeed change, but the product code (which is what you're talking about actually) won't change as they are generated automatically from the characteristics values ids.
You will have to change the variants for each product for now (we have in the todo list to possibility to do that automatically in the future). The product ids will indeed change, but the product code (which is what you're talking about actually) won't change as they are generated automatically from the characteristics values ids.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
Less
More
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
14 years 4 months ago #51132
by scottshort
Replied by scottshort on topic Re: Understanding Variants - Product Ids
Hi Nicolas
Your right I meant Product Code, and now I understand how the code is produced. As long as I make sure that the ID numbers for the Values [i.e: color, size] do not change, my Product Codes will remain the same, no matter how many Values I add or delete. And every time I make a change to the values I will need to delete all the Characteristics from the Product, save, and then re-add the Characteristics again in order to regenerate the updated Variants. Correct?
Thanks
Scott
Your right I meant Product Code, and now I understand how the code is produced. As long as I make sure that the ID numbers for the Values [i.e: color, size] do not change, my Product Codes will remain the same, no matter how many Values I add or delete. And every time I make a change to the values I will need to delete all the Characteristics from the Product, save, and then re-add the Characteristics again in order to regenerate the updated Variants. Correct?
Thanks
Scott
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 4 months ago #51210
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Understanding Variants - Product Ids
That's correct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scottshort
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds