- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
RESOLVED: Delete Categories to Start shop over
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
I need to delete categories I created at root so I can re-enter them correctly in Products Category. I am getting an error message when I try to do this: "You cannot delete a default category". Is there a way around this in Hikashop, or a way to delete these categories in cPanel? How do I delete them?
Thanks
Scott
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
I think that you can't delete the default categories because Hikashop uses them.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
Thanks
scott
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
So where can I find this Hikashop_category table? Can I just delete the file in cPanel? Will I lose all of my Hikashop settings that Nicholas had helped me with? Thanks again for your help.
Regards
Scott
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Normally, you should create your categories under the "product categories" category. That's actually what happens when you go in the categories listing, click on new, enter a name and save. The category is automatically added under the "product categories" category.
If you delete the hikashop_category table and reinstall, that will remove your categories and put the default categories. However, that also mean that you will loose the links to the products, you so won't be able to see the products anymore...
If you have only a handful of products, you can recreate them. But if you have a lot of them that's really not a practical solution.
If you want to move the categories without destroying the link between products and categories, you can edit the categories in the hikashop_category table and change the category_parent_id to the new parent id you would like. Then, you will have to edit a product category via the interface, and change the category parent category (so it must one a category which was not a main category before, otherwise you can't edit it. That will make hikashop reprocess the category tree so that it is inconsistent. If you don't do that second step, you will get strange results in the listings.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
I have really messed things up and I haven't even started yet! :blush:
I had only created a few practice products and categories... but the categories are all in wrong place so I need to star over. I have already deleted all of my products [except for one test option that keeps showing up somehow ] so there is no concern about saving any categories-products relationships.......and now I need to delete all the categories and start over. The original category "Product Categories" I renamed and then I added a bunch more in the root as you can see from my first post.
Can you give me the step by step instructions I need to follow to delete all of these categories [and any remaining products like the option I can not find] and reset so I can start over? If it would help the situation, I could re-re- name the one category folder back to "Product Categories" if there is a way to selectively delete the rest of the category folders. If this is not possible, then I need to delete them all and reset the database.
One question: Will I loose all of my HikaShop settings like the timing fix you gave me for the translations windows, and the changes to my cart module in my product view, etc?
Thanks again for your help. Just found out that Hikari means "light".... I like that.
Regards
Scott
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Just delete the table hikashop_category via phpmyadmin. Once that's done, install again HikaShop. If you did your modifications via the interface (no hacks in files via FTP) you won't loose anything and it will add back the default categories.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
Can you tell me the command I must use to delete this Category table? I have never used phpMyAdmin. I found the following in the documentation but I want to be sure so I do not make a mistake.
This error is apparently due to the fact HikaShop could not be installed properly and there are probably still some instances of HikaShop on your Extensions Manager.
Please go on your Extensions Manager (click on the menu "Manage"), select HikaShop (the component) and uninstall it.
If it can't be uninstalled from there, please access your phpMyAdmin and execute this query:
• DELETE FROM `jos_menu` WHERE link LIKE '%com_hikashop%';
• DELETE FROM jos_extensions WHERE element = 'com_hikashop';
• DELETE FROM jos_assets WHERE name='com_hikashop';
Then install HikaShop again... it should work.
Also, will this get rid of ghost product option that I still see now when I do a categories listing? see pic below:
If the above command will not get rid of this product option, can you give me the steps to do this as well?
Thanks again
Regards
Scott
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the instructions. I deleted the hikashop_categories table and reinstalled HS. I want to avoid same error as before, but now on the add categories page, i do not see the original folders that I saw before like product categories, and I think, zones and a few others. I was hoping to see them so I could be sure to create my categories in this folder. From my attached pic, you can see that these folders are no where. I do not want to create another category under the root, but from the picture you can't see the product categories file.
Can you see anything wrong here? Where is default product categories folder? Do I need to create it now in the location on this page: please let me know, thanks.
scott
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Go in your database, then in the SQL menu and copy/paste that query and run it:
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
Regards
Scott
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
I now have product category folder. See first pic:
But what about the other category folders that I had access to before [see first post]?
I can still reach the Brand Category folder via the Brand Manager page, and the Tax Category folder via the Tax Category Manager page, but I see no way to reach the order status category folder.
Do you suggest that I need to do something further regarding these category folders?
Regards
Scott
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
That's the normal behavior. There is nothing else to do.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- scottshort
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Respect the Stash
- Posts: 76
- Thank you received: 1
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.