- Posts: 63
- Thank you received: 3
CSV Import - text and custom fields
14 years 3 months ago - 14 years 3 months ago #56514
by ians
CSV Import - text and custom fields was created by ians
Hi all,
Getting on very well with the business edition. Astonishingly good and generally very simple and logical.
There are 2 things I can't get right at the moment on CSV file imports
1. The text in the description loses it's formatting - if I could get it to show paragraphs rather that just one long string of text that would be really helpful. Otherwise I'll have to go in and edit afterwards, but I have thousands of products.......
at the moment I'm importing everying into an excel spreadsheet and saving as a csv file
2. I would like to put in a custom field "Author" as some of the products are books. I can see how to add a custom field the the customer registration, but not the product. I would like the field "author to show on the new product form. I think I'm missing something simple here.....
Thanks for your help,
ian
Getting on very well with the business edition. Astonishingly good and generally very simple and logical.
There are 2 things I can't get right at the moment on CSV file imports
1. The text in the description loses it's formatting - if I could get it to show paragraphs rather that just one long string of text that would be really helpful. Otherwise I'll have to go in and edit afterwards, but I have thousands of products.......
at the moment I'm importing everying into an excel spreadsheet and saving as a csv file
2. I would like to put in a custom field "Author" as some of the products are books. I can see how to add a custom field the the customer registration, but not the product. I would like the field "author to show on the new product form. I think I'm missing something simple here.....
Thanks for your help,
ian
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by ians.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 3 months ago #56559
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: CSV Import - text and custom fields
Hi,
1. No one reported such problem. Could you give an example of description that you have ?
2. You can create custom fields of the table "product" via the menu Display->Custom fields in the Essential and the Business editions.
You will then be able to use the "column name" of the custom field as column of your CSV file.
1. No one reported such problem. Could you give an example of description that you have ?
2. You can create custom fields of the table "product" via the menu Display->Custom fields in the Essential and the Business editions.
You will then be able to use the "column name" of the custom field as column of your CSV file.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 3 months ago #56563
by ians
Replied by ians on topic Re: CSV Import - text and custom fields
Hi Nicolas,
thanks for the quick reply again.
1. I've attached a csv file from excel. you will see the description has a number of lines. when imported it all becomes one paragraph - please see the product listing page www.wslr.co.uk/index.php/wslr-shop/products-listing
2. Thank you - i didn't see the drop down list for product
thanks for the quick reply again.
1. I've attached a csv file from excel. you will see the description has a number of lines. when imported it all becomes one paragraph - please see the product listing page www.wslr.co.uk/index.php/wslr-shop/products-listing
2. Thank you - i didn't see the drop down list for product
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 3 months ago #56564
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: CSV Import - text and custom fields
Hi,
The product description is in HTML.
If you want line returns in it, you need to use the HTML tag <br/>, like it would be if you had written the text directly in the edition screen with your HTML editor.
The product description is in HTML.
If you want line returns in it, you need to use the HTML tag <br/>, like it would be if you had written the text directly in the edition screen with your HTML editor.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds