- Posts: 57
- Thank you received: 0
How to stop my site making two urls for products
14 years 3 weeks ago #64971
by lukehold
How to stop my site making two urls for products was created by lukehold
Hi,
My site is notascratch.com
I am having an issue with my site generating two urls for each product. Generally throughout the site and modules I am seeing the correct and full url, formed using hika categories. For example, notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry , which would produce a product like notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry/product/16-butterfly .
However, anything on my front page is rather different. I wanted it to be a showcase page for all products and opted for a category listing (product view) of the mother category ( notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases ) and allowing for every sub category. The problem is that each product on that page leads to a much shorter url ( notascratch.com/product/16-butterfly ), which is also true for the recently viewed module on that page too.
Can you advise why my frontpage is stripping out the hika categories from the url? I had considered simply redirecting the urls but the problem is that they are already stripped and I can't redirect from notascratch.com/product/16-butterfly to notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry/product/16-butterfly as there are several categories such as cherry, so it would be impossible to know which one the user was trying to reach.
Thanks so much for your time in advance, this really is a very good component and well worth the money.
Luke
My site is notascratch.com
I am having an issue with my site generating two urls for each product. Generally throughout the site and modules I am seeing the correct and full url, formed using hika categories. For example, notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry , which would produce a product like notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry/product/16-butterfly .
However, anything on my front page is rather different. I wanted it to be a showcase page for all products and opted for a category listing (product view) of the mother category ( notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases ) and allowing for every sub category. The problem is that each product on that page leads to a much shorter url ( notascratch.com/product/16-butterfly ), which is also true for the recently viewed module on that page too.
Can you advise why my frontpage is stripping out the hika categories from the url? I had considered simply redirecting the urls but the problem is that they are already stripped and I can't redirect from notascratch.com/product/16-butterfly to notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry/product/16-butterfly as there are several categories such as cherry, so it would be impossible to know which one the user was trying to reach.
Thanks so much for your time in advance, this really is a very good component and well worth the money.
Luke
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 3 weeks ago #65165
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: How to stop my site making two urls for products
Hi,
In the hikashop options screen of each one of your products listing modules, you can select the category/product listing menu which should be used for the products in it thanks to the "menu" option.
So if in the the module which displays the URL notascratch.com/product/16-butterfly , you select the menu cherry, the system will then produce the URL notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry/product/16-butterfly instead in that module.
It's actually not HikaShop which handles that but Joomla SEF system. It uses the id of the menu to get the alias of the menu and its parents in order to add the part iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry in the URL.
In the hikashop options screen of each one of your products listing modules, you can select the category/product listing menu which should be used for the products in it thanks to the "menu" option.
So if in the the module which displays the URL notascratch.com/product/16-butterfly , you select the menu cherry, the system will then produce the URL notascratch.com/iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry/product/16-butterfly instead in that module.
It's actually not HikaShop which handles that but Joomla SEF system. It uses the id of the menu to get the alias of the menu and its parents in order to add the part iphone-4-4s-cases/cherry in the URL.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 3 weeks ago #65204
by lukehold
Replied by lukehold on topic Re: How to stop my site making two urls for products
Hi Nicholas,
The problem I have though is that there are no modules associated with that page. The page is purely a category listing page for the mother category and every sub element, showing products as type of content. I can't apply your solution.
Perhaps it would be easier just to explain what I am trying to do. I have internal pages where the products are shown under various hikashop categories but I'd like the front page to show them all. Is this possible?
Thanks,
Luke
The problem I have though is that there are no modules associated with that page. The page is purely a category listing page for the mother category and every sub element, showing products as type of content. I can't apply your solution.
Perhaps it would be easier just to explain what I am trying to do. I have internal pages where the products are shown under various hikashop categories but I'd like the front page to show them all. Is this possible?
Thanks,
Luke
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 3 weeks ago #65284
by lukehold
Replied by lukehold on topic Re: How to stop my site making two urls for products
Hey Nicholas,
I didn't solve it but I found a workaround - making a plain article page and adding in Hikashop modules for each category. They do at least point to the right places now because each can have its own menu. I was unable to show a module on a page without it taking the url characteristics of that page (I couldn't show a module for a different category (site/a) on another category page (site/b) because I would always get site/b/a.
Luke
I didn't solve it but I found a workaround - making a plain article page and adding in Hikashop modules for each category. They do at least point to the right places now because each can have its own menu. I was unable to show a module on a page without it taking the url characteristics of that page (I couldn't show a module for a different category (site/a) on another category page (site/b) because I would always get site/b/a.
Luke
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 3 weeks ago #65497
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: How to stop my site making two urls for products
Hi,
Indeed, if you want products from different categories to open on different menus, you can't have them all listed in one listing module as there is only one menu option for the whole module.
Thus, having one article with several modules, one per category is a good workaround.
Indeed, if you want products from different categories to open on different menus, you can't have them all listed in one listing module as there is only one menu option for the whole module.
Thus, having one article with several modules, one per category is a good workaround.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds