• Thank you received: 3
  • Hikashop Business
2 years 9 months ago #333901

-- url of the page with the problem -- : www.zoecamper.com
-- HikaShop version -- : 4.4.3
-- Joomla version -- : 3.9.27
-- PHP version -- : 7.x
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Firefox
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : Shop in USA but VAT showing instead of Sales TAX on order page and emails.

Shop in USA but VAT showing instead of Sales TAX on order page and emails. Need to change VAT to Say Sales Tax. I am using Tax cloud to generate the amount, I would like the field name to change.

I am not very technical so would appreciate some advice.

Thank you

Zoe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
2 years 9 months ago #333912

Hi,

That's strange. If you're using the TaxCloud plugin by default in HikaShop to calculate the taxes automatically, the text you should see should be "Tax (%s)" where %s is replaced by the actual tax rate.
This comes from the translation key TAXCLOUD_TAX which is on line 2139 of the English translation file of HikaShop:
TAXCLOUD_TAX="Tax (%s)"
You can check your translation file via the Languages tab of the HikaShop configuration page:
www.hikashop.com/download/languages.html#modify
Also, you can use a translation override there to change any text of the interface, including that one.
But maybe you have the "detailed tax display" setting turned off in the HikaShop configuration ? In that case, it would use the translation key VAT, which is indeed VAT in the en-GB translation file of HikaShop, but it "taxes" in the en-US translation file of HikaShop for US-based websites. So maybe you have that setting turned off and you're using the en-GB translation file ? In that case, you could either turn that setting on, or use the en-US language, but you could also just do a translation override as explained in the link above.

• Hikashop Business
2 years 9 months ago #333955

Hi, thanks very much for your help. I had English-GB as the only language installed. I installed English-US and set is as the default and it all looks good.

Thank you

Zoe

• Hikashop Business
2 years 7 months ago #335456

Hi,

I hope you are well.

I had an issue with VAT showing on forms, I had not installed the Eng US language (see previous tickets above). I installed Eng-US language and had an order where US Tax was detailed correctly.

I had three orders today and VAT was again displaying. The amount is correct but it is being listed as VAT in the order, order emails and invoices.

I have added the overrides to the Eng-GB language file to change the references to VAT to be just 'TAX' but I don't understand why it reappeared as I have the Eng-US language set to default. I understand that when Hika upgrades it overrides the language files.

I just don't want VAT to appear anywhere. Do you have ant advice?

Thank you in advance.

Zoe

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by zoe@slink.net. Reason: Adding a screen shot

2 years 7 months ago #335459

Hi,

These texts with "VAT" indeed come from the en-GB language file, not the en-US language file.
So that means the current language is set to en-GB when the email is sent.
Note that when an order is created the current language is stored along with it. So if a customer created an order previously with the en-GB language as current language, even if you change the default language of the website to en-US, the emails that will be sent for that order will still be with the en-GB language.
So when you test, make sure that you try with new orders.
The last resort is indee to use translation overrides on the en-GB language file to use tax instead of VAT. That's not really a problem in itself. However, I don't see why that would be necessary.

• Hikashop Business
2 years 7 months ago #335484

Thanks for your reply.
Could I uninstall Eng-UK language from Joomla/Hika completely?

Thanks again.

Zoe

2 years 7 months ago #335486

Hi,

Removing the en-GB language from HikaShop is just about deleting the file languages/en-GB/en-GB.com_hikashop.ini from your website.
However, for Joomla, I'm not sure but I don't think you can.

• Hikashop Business
2 years 7 months ago #335492

I need to be careful when logging in to Joomla and always remember to select Eng-US. I will also delete the Eng-UK from Hika. It's funny because Taxcloud does not apply tax on UK orders, so it isn't a problem. I wish I hadn't messed up in the first place and installed Eng-UK when I installed Joomla.
Thanks again,

Zoe

• Hikashop Business
2 years 3 months ago #338831

Hi,

I hope you are well.

I am still having an issue with VAT text in order emails on orders placed in the USA.

A customer paid me offline so I put their order through the site. I setup a new email (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) address, placed a new order and the emails sent when the order was placed shows VAT.

I have been careful about language, my laptop in all set to US English, my browser is set to US and I still get emails showing VAT.

I have also added overrides to the Eng - GB language file in the configuration.

I do not want VAT to appear ever, my shop is in the USA.

Is it is driving me mad.

Thanks

Zoe

2 years 3 months ago #338845

Hi,

There are two ways the text VAT can appear in the emails:
- with the translation texts. If you have overrides for them for your different languages, then it won't come from that.
- with the name of the tax rates. You can check them via the "manage tax rates" button of the System>Taxes menu.

• Hikashop Business
2 years 3 months ago #338897

Hi,

Thanks again for getting back to me. I put the overrides in the Eng GB and Not the Eng US language files. I just wasn't expecting to see mention of VAT in the Eng US language file so didn't look for it.

FIXED.

Thanks!!!

Zoe

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds