Sales tax for one state only

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 4 months ago #4206

Shipping is crazy complicated for my store ( Miro Cellars ) because I'm selling wine--an alcoholic beverage which is highly regulated in the US. Because of various prohibitions and licenses, we can only ship wine directly to customers in very few states. Shipping rates are different for different sets of states.

When I originally set up HikaStore for our site, I tried to account for the different shipping rates. I have since abandoned that idea since it was so complicated and I could not get it to work. I decided to start by working with only a few states that share a rate instead.

However, now I can't get the sales tax working. I think I destroyed some settings when I was goofing around with shipping zones. I only need to charge tax for shipments within California.

Here are my settings:

System->Taxes
Tax Rules
Zone: CA; Rate: CA(9%); Customer type: blank (I set this to all customer types when I set it up); Published: check

Manage tax categories
Explorer shows
* Root
--Tax category
---California Tax Category

Manage rates
Tax namekey: CA; Rate: 9%

Zones
I have listed all the states to which we can ship wine (for now). The only one where the shipping address must pay sales tax is California.
Name in english: California; Name: California; Code 2 letters: CA; Code 3 letters: CA; Type: state; Published: check

Configuration->Main
Type of address used for tax: Shipping
Apply discounts: Before taxts
Default address type: All customer types
Main tax zone: 4511 California

Display->Custom Fields
Table: address; Column name: address_state; Label: State; Field type: Single Dropdown; Required: check; Order: 8; Front-end: check; Back-end Form: check; Back-end Listing: --; Published: check; Core: check; ID: 12

I will also provide a screen shot of the various settings for the state custom field.

Thanks in advance.

Molly

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13082
13 years 4 months ago #4210

The problem is the custom field.
The default address state doesn't have the zone codes as value but the zone namekeys. That's why it doesn't work.

You should try to set the type of your custom field to "zone". If you want to remove states from it, you should just unpublish the zones via the menu System->Zones

13 years 4 months ago #4212

Hm. So now the State field in the front end checkout disappears so the customer can't enter anything. How do I set the Zone information so that the choices appear here? (I deleted all of the bazillion states that came with the HikaShop plugin and added back only the few states to which I can ship. Sorry! I thought I was simplifying, not complicating.)

Attachments:

13 years 4 months ago #4214

Instead of deleting them, you should just have unpublished the ones you didn't need. It can be done with a few clicks.
Instead of trying to fix all that, you could just remove all your zones and reinstall hikashop. That will put back all the zones back.

13 years 4 months ago #4215

Okay, will do.

13 years 4 months ago #4224

Nope, still not getting tax for an address in California.

I didn't drop the HikaShop tables from the database in PHPMyAdmin, so the settings that are stored in the database are still there. Is there something else I can look at?

13 years 4 months ago #4226

In System->Zones, do you have all the zones as default ?
Otherwise, delete all the zones there and reinstall. That should put back all of them.
Also, make sure that the state custom field has the default options (you can look at our demo website for the default options).

Also, did you apply the tax category "California Tax Category" to your products ?

13 years 4 months ago #4392

Your quick response time is amazing. Thank you so much for providing the best support for any Joomla! component I've seen so far.

The Zone info for the few Zones I'm using did not change with the reinstall because I didn't delete them before. I will clear the entire list and install again.

Is there a quick way to delete all the zones in phpMyAdmin with a MySQL query? I set the Joomla control panel default to display 100 items per page, but it's still very clicky and tedious selecting and deleting (and unpublishing, for that matter, especially if I get to do this whole process again from a reinstall) the list of 4458 Zones.

13 years 4 months ago #4393

You can just delete the whole content of the tables hikashop_zone and hikashop_zone_link and then reinstall HikaShop. That will put back everything.
In order to empty a table, you can use such query for that:
TRUNCATE TABLE `TABBLE_NAME`
where TABBLE_NAME should be replaced by the name of your table.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds