New J4 Media Manager & HikaShop

• Thank you received: 35
10 months 1 week ago #352443

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.7.3
-- Joomla version -- : 4.3.2
-- PHP version -- : 7.4.33
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome

Hi guys,
Joomla 4 introduced a new Media Manager: magazine.joomla.org/all-issues/july-2020...a-manager?format=amp

Is HikaShop using the standard Joomla 4 Media Manager ?

If not, considering that:

- Each 3rd party Extension can use it. The easiest way is to use the standard core media field to let user select media data in your extension: docs.joomla.org/Media_form_field_type

- There are yet some Developers that are adding fantastic features on top of the standard J4 Media Manager, like the best one DPMedia, here a perfect resuming: joomla.digital-peak.com/documentation/dp...duction/introduction

- Hika Development Team energies are so precious

- Hika efforts should be always concentrated on special / specific HikaShop features, while leave the others features to the standard Joomla 4 and it's integrations

Please, just let use the standard Joomla 4 Media Manager for HikaShop (this is a "must have" for us, for our survival)

Or, if you want to keep also an internal HikaShop Media Manager, Please, let add a Configuration > Media option to permit us to choose if to use the internal Media Manager or the standard Joomla 4 Media Manager by using the standard core media field to let user select media data in HikaShop / HikaMarket.

This will permit us to add a lot of must have Media features for our HikaShop / HikaMarket user's/partners, without complicating your life and just keeping, as always, HS more integrated with the standard Joomla workflow...

As always, I remain available...

The following user(s) said Thank You: ssnobben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
10 months 1 week ago #352444

Hi,

HikaShop is not using the media manager.

A standard core media field can't be used. We would need a way to trigger in javascript the media manager selection popup with a callback when the selection is made. I searched for a few hours, but I couldn't find any example of this or enough information to do that. Also, the media manager is done in a way that it can only work in its designated folder (under the images folder). So if you configure an upload folder in HikaShop outside of that folder, then it won't be usable.
Most people just want to upload their images / files and select them. So the upload and gallery system in HikaShop works fine for this. Having the possibility to modify the files from the media manager selector can be interesting, but I don't see what's fantastic besides this.
Also, while it can save some time to use Joomla's manager when starting a new project, you then need to maintain the integration with it. It can be tricky when Joomla decides to change things up. See for example how J2Store has troubles running on Joomla 4 and has yet to release a stable version for it 2 years after the first release of Joomla 4, because the developer used as much of the features of Joomla 3 as possible (in order to speed up the initial development and use the full power of Joomla).
With our upload / gallery system, we barely needed any modifications in years.
I feel supporting the media manager of Joomla might eat up a lot of our energy for not much added benefits. Especially since it's already there and working.
But I'm willing to look into it, if only I could find enough information on what would be needed to implement it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ssnobben

• Thank you received: 35
10 months 1 week ago #352466

Hi Nicolas,
as always, thank you very much for your detailed answer.
I understand what you mean.
I'm going to report this with a proactive attitude to the J4 Media Manager developer team to see if there are answers/solutions and I'll be back here asap...

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas, ssnobben

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds