Change "Volume" on shipping component to individual length, breadth and width

• Thank you received: 4
  • Hikaauction Standard Hikamarket Multivendor Hikashop Business
1 week 5 days ago #360852

Hi,

Currently, the shipping component for Hikashop has a "volume" and "weight" criteria to include or exclude products, but that does not work for the majority of shippers, who have their criteria set by length, breadth and width.

If any one of those figures does not match the criteria set by the shipper, their API will automatically assign another shipping method and price.

However, since your system only has "volume," it's not possible to set those individual criteria, which means you have to do it manually.

Can you please change this so that it can be set up according to shipper criteria? As you know, volume can be the same with limitless combinations of individual dimensions, so this really doesn't work for this purpose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13102
1 week 5 days ago #360863

Hi,

Note that the min / max restrictions in shipping methods is for all the products in the cart combined.
So HikaShop calculate the volume of each product and then sum it up to get the total volume. The weight is similarly simple to calculate as it is just the sum of the weight of each product.
We provide these restrictions in the shipping methods not only because they are useful with many carrier (in Europe), but also because they are easy to implement.
Doing the same with width, length or breath won't give something as accurate because it doesn't make sense to add the width or length of the products in a cart, and I feel that it is not what you want to do since you're talking about including/excluding products.

Note also that for complex shipping cost calculations, the carrier usually provides an API so that an integration plugin can be developed with a plugin which can pass to it the information of all the products of the order, the shipping address, etc and the API can provide back a list of shipping services with their cost, like we did for UPS, USPS, Fedex, etc.
I'm feeling that you're trying to configure shipping fees with manual shipping methods for something which would actually require the development of a specific shipping plugin with the API provided by the carrier.

• Thank you received: 4
  • Hikaauction Standard Hikamarket Multivendor Hikashop Business
1 week 5 days ago #360873

Hi,

No, I understand that for heavier items. However, in Canada, where I am, items that are under 380 mm x 270 mm x 20 mm and under 500 grams can be sent as oversized letter mail, which is significantly cheaper than package mail. www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/su...ze-requirements.page

There's no way to exclude products based on those dimensions, because it's all tied into the volume parameter. I understand that that applies to large packages or packages with multiple components, but is there any way to add individual dimensions too? Setting every product manually using a warehouse workaround is not an ideal solution.

So what I am hoping is to be able to set all the individual dimensions of the items on the site (which is already on the product page) and then have then automatically excluded from the package rate on the CanadaPost shipping plugin, which is configured using their API.

Thanks.

Tamara

• Thank you received: 13102
1 week 4 days ago #360874

Hi,

Ok, so you're actually talking about CanadaPost.
If you check the content of the file plugins/hikashopshipping/canadapost/canadapost.php you can see a limit array with different limits of package for different shipping methods.
This array is mainly filled for US and international shipping:
i.imgur.com/8disGsm.png
As you can see, for Canada, there is only one limit with sizes of 2 meters and a weight of 30kg, and a length_girth of 3 meters.
The API we're using is detailed here:
www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/info/mc/b...getrates/default.jsf
For Canada, it doesn't seem that this API provides rates for oversize letters.
So I understand now that you want to exclude some products from the calculations made by the CanadaPost API because it doesn't support these items shipping fees in their API.

From what I can see from their pricing table, the price changed per 100g for oversize lettermail.
So you'll need to have the shipping cost for these small products to change based on their total weight.
This will require anyways to separate them from the other products by having them in a different warehouse than your heavier products so that the minimum price and maximum price restrictions can apply to them only, as far as I understand.

Or is there some other reason why you think that using warehouses is not adapted here ?
Is it because you don't want to have to manually set the warehouse in each product ? In that case, how about configuring mass actions to auto set the warehouse of the products based on their dimensions ? A few filters and an action "update the values" on the "product_warehouse_id" column should allow you to automate that.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds