Question about sh404sef and HikaShop

• Thank you received: 2
11 years 6 months ago #74923

I'm working on the SEO portion of my site and thought that something like sh404sef might be worth trying out. I ran it to see how it works. I've read a ton of reports from users that say sh404sef was a mess or messed up their sites, etc. Of course, I backed up my site and DB before trying this and good thing I did. Anyway, when installed it showed anywhere from 2 - 4 instances of each product. I tried testing the URL manager in sh404sef to basically point all instances of a product to one clean SEF url. At first, this seemed to work great. I then tried it on a few other products thinking that I was good to go. I wasn't! I started getting Redirect Loop errors and then the page not loading at all. I then tried turning off the security of the site because I read that the mod rewrite was looking through too many related links. I trouble shot this for 2 hours and then restored my back up.

Question for HikaShop Staff: What component or extension would you recommend using?

Question for anyone out there: Can you post some of your experiences using HikaShop and sh404sef, good and bad. Also post your solutions. Thanks.

P.S. I like HikaShop a lot and works great for what I'm doing very well. I would recommend it to others. I also like the support response times and solutions. Very commendable. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1778
11 years 6 months ago #74988

Hi,

I don't have a lot of experience with sh404sef but I'll recommend you to use the " HikaShop Microdata on Product Page " plugin :).

Hope this will help you.

• Thank you received: 13102
11 years 6 months ago #75390

SEF is not THAT important for SEO. Just activating the default SEF system of Joomla already goes a long way for that and avoids all the potential issues with sh404sef.

Setting up xmap, the microdata plugin, meta data on your products/categories would already be a really good SEO.

• Thank you received: 2
11 years 6 months ago #75865

Cool. I ended up just manually setting up my 301 redirects in my .htaccess file myself and adding my own unique description, etc. for the products page. I thought that sh404sef might help, but my site isn't that big. Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds