Lack of integrations is a real issue

• Thank you received: 2
  • Hikashop Business
2 years 2 months ago #339702

This is a bit of a ramble, so please bear with me!

I've been using Hikashop on various stores for the better part of a decade now. It's been wonderful... it's straight-forward, easy to use, and reliable. Support has been fast and effective. No complaints.

Despite this, as my business expands I'm faced with a dilemma. HIkashop has almost no available 3rd party integrations. (I do use the ShipStation integration and it works well.) There is simply no support for things like print-on-demand services (Printful/Printify, etc.), no support for various social management platforms (Buffer or simlar), CRM (Salesforce, Infusionsoft), marketplaces (Etsy or Ebay), etc. Competitors like Shopify, Woocommerce and others have readily available plugins for all of these services.

I know the answer I'll hear is "you could pay someone to make these". And that's great, but paying a developer (even a good one) to build/support/update a plugin is a far cry from having official versions of these things ready to roll.

I'd love to stick with Hikashop, but it's beginning to limit my potential and I'm probably going to have no choice but to migrate. I just wanted to let you know about these issues in the hope you can continue to expand support for this otherwise wonderful product.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13082
2 years 2 months ago #339705

Hi,

Thank you for sticking with us so far and thank you for your feedback.

The issue is both about demand and capacity.
We have a smaller share of the market than these other solutions.
In many cases, the integrations for these other ecommerce solutions are built by third party developers or even directly the target plateform itself. So they have more money than us, and more people are building integrations for their solutions without them doing it.
So of course it leads to a lot more solutions available.
Basically, they have the momentum we don't have.
To be able to match them, we would have to get bigger. Bring in investors, hire many developers, and invest a lot hoping we would be able to recoup that invested money over the years.

Because even if there is an integration built for a solution, if we don't have enough merchants interested, it's not worth putting in the effort, especially if no one wants to pay first for the development.
For example, we've been working recently on a Swiss QR-Bill payment plugin. It's only useful for Swiss users so not useful to you, but it's really important for them. Someone interested paid us to work on it for them and then release it on our marketplace.
And that's often the case with integrations. a really small share of the users need a particular integration so it's hard to see if it makes sense or not. We've developed many plugins with almost no one using them in the end. For example, I've worked on the Google address Auto fill integration plugin and the address geocoding shipping plugin 2 years ago. So far, sales have not been what I expected for them despite them being really useful for the people needing this.
We're adding integrations every year, but as a small team we can't integrate with everything out there. The list of integrations requested over the years is hundreds of lines long so it grows faster than we can make them. And when you make one you need to maintain it, and when the plateform decides to remove the API for a new one, you have to redo it from scratch all over again especially since you now have users using the old integration.

By the way, a salesforce integration is available here: extensions.joomla.org/extension/js-sf-we...ikashop-integration/
For marketplaces, an integration is available for Amazon here: extensions.joomla.org/extension/amamplace/ but there is indeed no solution for Etsy or Ebay so far.

• Thank you received: 2
  • Hikashop Business
2 years 2 months ago #339726

Thank you for the thoughtful response. That makes total sense.

I can imagine it must be frustrating to be pitted against larger, well-funded competitors.

I will stick with you as long as I am able! Keep up the good work.

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds