Email history displays question marks instead of special characters

• Thank you received: 2
10 months 6 days ago #352834

My e-mail notifications are set with UTF8 and base64 encoding. I use gmail smtp server for sending emails and customers get correct emails with correct special characters like āēļ etc. But when I look at email history I see question marks instead of these characters. It seems that email history is only place where these question marks appear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13083
10 months 6 days ago #352841

Hi,

UTF8 and base64 encoding are the defaults. I have the same setup and the email don't have question marks in the history on my end, even though they also have special characters.
I think that this issue is either:
- you're using an old version of HikaShop where there is a bug on this
- there is a problem with the hikashop_email_history table in your database. Maybe the tables were migrated at some point, or something, and the charset or collation of the table where the emails are stored for the history is not what it should be for some reason.
In any cases, the email history area is usually not used much besides for debugging email issues. So it shouldn't matter that the preview of the emails sent has question marks there. I would just ignore the problem if I were you.

• Thank you received: 2
10 months 5 days ago #352924

I checked hikashop_email_history table and there is latin1_swedish_ci collation set. If I try to change collation to utf8mb3_general_ci I get error (I really dont know much about how SQL works).
How can I solve this? Maybe deleting whole hikashop_email_history table will help?

• Thank you received: 13083
10 months 5 days ago #352929

Hi,

Yes. You can delete the whole table and click on the "check database" button of the HikaShop configuration. It should create it back with the correct collation.

Best regards,
Nicolas

The following user(s) said Thank You: drop

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds