Brands

• Thank you received: 1
8 years 11 months ago #202469

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.3.6
-- Joomla version -- : 3.3.6

Hello,

I've been updating the menus of my website recently and decided to bring my brands under a new sub category.

I already had two sub categories "mens" and "womens" within the "Brands" parent category, so I just moved them into their new corresponding parent categories.

It all looked fine, but as I've tried to add a new product today, I have realised that I can't assign a brand to the product pages. I believe that this is because they are no longer under the "Brands" parent category.

I've added some screenshots to try and explain. The reason that I think this is important is because I would like to maintain the navigation link on the front end, at the page /womens-shoes

I also realise the importance of being able to filter by brand, which I'm not going to be able to do...

I hope that you can help :).

Thanks,
Hal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
8 years 11 months ago #202507

Hi,

Because a brand is not really a category, what you're trying to do can't work like that.
Even if both are stored in the "category" table ; they have a different "category_type".
That's why the brands are stored under the "brand" category and the product categories are stored under the "product category" category.
So if you want to have brands under the "product category" category, you have to change their category_type in the database so they will be displayed in the product page.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

8 years 11 months ago #202542

Thanks for your quick response.

So will this is possible then? Would you be kind enough to explain in a little more detail?

I think that the ideal solution here, would be to automatically show the hikashop "category" page every time a Joomla menu points to it. I wouldn't therefore have to move any of the categories in the first place. At the moment you can have as many menus as you like pointing at a certain category, but if you click on a parent category, the sub categories won't be displayed.

Thanks,
Hal

Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Holmes-Pierce. Reason: clarification

• Thank you received: 13069
8 years 11 months ago #202563

Hi,

If you created a brand it's a brand. You should not move it outside of the main brand element of the tree. If you want to create new categories with the same name as your brands and delete your brands then do so, but don't "move" them by changing their parent category. That's what Jerome was saying.

I don't understand what you meant with your "ideal solution".
When a Joomla menu points to HikaShop, you usually select its menu item type. If you select a category listing, you'll get a category listing. So I don't understand what you mean, and what is the parent category you're talking about, etc.

8 years 11 months ago #202618

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't had a problem moving the brand categories, thats worked fine.

The problem is that I now find myself unable to associate a product with a brand (please see screenshots).

I can point a Joomla menu to a category under the "Brands" tree and it works fine, if you navigate using the menu. However, if you navigate through the category pages it wont be available. It only shows the "product" sub-categories that I've assigned in Hikashop.

Thanks,
Hal

Attachments:

8 years 11 months ago #202621

Hi,

That's normal. You moved the element from being a brand to being a category. So it is not listed anymore as a brand and thus you don't see it in the brands selector or as brand on the product page.
If you want the element to work as a brand, it needs to be a brand inside the main "brands" element.

8 years 10 months ago #203057

Are you saying there isn't a way to fix the problem then?

If I were to place it back under brands, they wouldn't appear in my category pages.

Thanks,
Hal

8 years 10 months ago #203058

I have attached two screenshots to show the problem on the front end. The Joomla menu works in each case, but the category page doesn't reflect this.

This is why I think the ideal solution would be to automatically show this category if it's used within the Joomla menu. It wouldn't then matter where the category was located within the hikashop category trees.

Thanks,
Hal

Attachments:

8 years 10 months ago #203086

Hi,

Brands are brands. They are not supposed to be listed in categories listings.
It's like if you were asking me if there is a fix to display HikaShop products in joomla article listings.
They are two different entities and like Joomla article listings are not meant to display HikaShop products, categories listings are not meant to display brands. So there is nothing to "fix" here. The issue is conceptual, not code or settings.

One you could do is actually not use a categories listing page to display that first page.
Instead, you should create a Joomla article with four links, each one linking to its category listing menu item or brands listing menu item and then have that article display on a page instead of that categories listing where you're trying to add the brands listing.

Actually, a much simpler solution would be to create a fake "shop by brands" category, and in the "canonical URL" of that category, enter the link of a brands listing menu item, and then make sure that the "force canonical URLs on listings" setting is activated on your HikaShop configuration. That way, you would have a categories listing like you want with the four elements, and the shop by brands would work like you want.

8 years 10 months ago #203224

Thank you for your considered response.

I'm not keen on the idea of 'force canonical URL's on all listing', as I don't think it's good for SEO. I will definitely look into the other idea, as I think I could make that work.

Would it be possible to have the link on the product page pointing to my new "brand category" instead of the old one? I think that this would also solve my problem.

Thanks,
Hal

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 4004
8 years 10 months ago #203276

Hi,

Forcing canonical URL not good for the SEO ?
It does not change nothing for the SEO, the canonical url is there to optimize the SEO, if you force it or not will does not change that the search engines will only reference one single page and does not create duplicate content (which is not good for SEO).

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

8 years 10 months ago #203389

I've found that not using the option to "Force canonical URL's" works better for me.

Would it be possible to have the link on the product page pointing to my new brand category?

Thanks,
Hal

• Thank you received: 1778
8 years 10 months ago #203764

Hello Hal,
Sure but you'll have to edit the code of the "Show_default" file of the "Product" view of your front-end template via "Hikashop->Display->Views".

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds