URL & breadcrumb confusing

• Thank you received: 1
5 years 6 months ago #299095

-- url of the page with the problem -- : www.ijscomanvenlo.nl/hikashop-menu-for-c...g/category_pathway-2

My webshop page has a url ( www.ijscomanvenlo.nl/webwinkel ) and a breadcrumb ( Home/Webwinkel) that I would expect.

But with a product page I get a much too long url. e.g. :
www.ijscomanvenlo.nl/hikashop-menu-for-c...g/category_pathway-2
I would expect:
www.ijscomanvenlo.nl/webwinkel/houtopslag .

Same with breadcrumbs. I get:
Home/Categories listing/Houtopslag
I woudl expect:
Home/producuts listing/Houtopslag.

What am I doing wrong?

Kind regards,

Hubert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
5 years 6 months ago #299106

Hi,

The part "hikashop-menu-for-categories-listing" is the alias of your menu item. You can change it as you want by editing the menu item with that alias via the Joomla menu manager.
The part "product" is the "product SEF name" of your HikaShop configuration. You can empty that setting if you don't want that part in the URL.
The part "category_pathway-2" is there because you've deactivated the setting "simplified breadcrumb" of the HikaShop configuration. Activate it back and it will remove that part.
Doing all this will get you exactly the URL you want.

Regarding the breadcrumb, the part "Categories listing" comes from the name of your menu item. So change that menu item's name and you'll get what you want.

5 years 6 months ago #299170

Hi,

This only is a partial solution:

The part "hikashop-menu-for-categories-listing" is the alias of your menu item. You can change it as you want by editing the menu item with that alias via the Joomla menu manager.

• I do not understand this. This alias belongs to a menu item in the Hikashop default menus called "Categories listing". I am not using this menu!

• And I cannot change the alias to "webwinkel", as this name is already used in my main menu!

The part "product" is the "product SEF name" of your HikaShop configuration. You can empty that setting if you don't want that part in the URL.

If I empty this setting, "product" is still part of my url and I am not getting a product page anumore but the error mesage "ERROR: access forbidden"!

The part "category_pathway-2" is there because you've deactivated the setting "simplified breadcrumb" of the HikaShop configuration. Activate it back and it will remove that part.

This works.

Regarding the breadcrumb, the part "Categories listing" comes from the name of your menu item. So change that menu item's name and you'll get what you want

See my first remark.

Kind regards,

Hubert

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by hmd.

5 years 6 months ago #299172

Hi,

1. If the URL has that menu item it means that you are using that menu item. I don't know where you get that link from so I can't say anything precise. But for example, if that link is displayed by a HikaShop content module, then in the module settings, you have a "menu" setting where you can select the menu item that will be used by the module for the links of the products in it. Maybe you have that menu item selected there.

2. Then it means that you want to select your "webwinkel" main menu item instead of that "categories listing" menu item where that menu item is selected.

3. if you still have that "product" part in the URL even though you emptied that "product sef name" setting, it means that either the page or the module displaying the link is cached by some caching system, or you're using a SEF extension which caches the SEF URLs like sh404SEF, or you have the old URL as "canonical URL" of your product and you have the "force canonical URLs on listings" setting activated and thus the canonical URL is not valid anymore and you need to remove it or update it.

5 years 6 months ago #299249

Sorry, I'm still missing it:

1. If the URL has that menu item it means that you are using that menu item. I don't know where you get that link from so I can't say anything precise. But for example, if that link is displayed by a HikaShop content module, then in the module settings, you have a "menu" setting where you can select the menu item that will be used by the module for the links of the products in it. Maybe you have that menu item selected there.

As far as I know I am not using a content module! I have a "webwinkel" menu item of type "product listing".This shows a page with all products, with the correct bread crumb and a correct url ( www.ijscomanvenlo.nl/webwinkel ). But when I click on one of the products, a product content page opens that I have not associated with any menu! As far as I understand, this page is automatically generated by Hikashop!
As you can see on the attached screendump of such a product page, the "webwinkel1"in both url and breadcrumbs, comes from the name I gave to the categoreis listing menu item in the Hikashop default menu.

3. if you still have that "product" part in the URL even though you emptied that "product sef name" setting, it means that either the page or the module displaying the link is cached by some caching system, or you're using a SEF extension which caches the SEF URLs like sh404SEF, or you have the old URL as "canonical URL" of your product and you have the "force canonical URLs on listings" setting activated and thus the canonical URL is not valid anymore and you need to remove it or update it.

I am not using a SEF extension, so that cannot be the problem. So it must be your last explanation! But I do nut understand what you mean with " you have the old URL as "canonical URL" of your product".

If it is easier, I can give you access to the backend.

Kind regards,

Hubert

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by hmd.

5 years 6 months ago #299265

Hi,

1. On a menu item products listing page, HikaShop has two ways to give the URL to the product page:
- it generates the URL dynamically and in that case, it uses the current menu item, and thus the alias of the menu item in the URL is the alias of the current menu item.
- it uses the canonical URL you entered in the product, but that's only if you have the "force canonical URLs on listings" setting activated in the HikaShop configuration. But in that case, you shouldn't see the alias change in the URLs if you change the menu item alias as the canonical URL wouldn't automatically change.
There is no third case so I don't see how what you have would be possible with a menu item.

3. When you edit a product via the Products menu of the backend of HikaShop, you have a setting called "canonical URL" under the "SEO" section of the product settings.

If that still doesn't help you, then yes, we'll need a backend access because I don't see how that would be possible to have a different menu item used than the current one if you don't have a canonical URL entered.
In that case, please provide that along with a link to this thread via our contact form here:
www.hikashop.com/support/contact-us.html

5 years 6 months ago #299304

Canonical URL's were part of the issue. I now gave all products the correct canonical url. And I set SEF URL options to "Use canonical URL when specified".

I now get the correct url and breadcrumbs but not the product pages that I had!

Some of them (e.g. teh product page for product "stalen kandelaar", I am getting some kind of category listing! For other products (e.g. "haan") I get an error message: Warning: page nof found "haan".

I am completely lost still.

I sent you my login information for www.ijscomanvenlo.nl . If you could please take a look?

Kind regards,

Hubert

5 years 6 months ago #299306

Hi,

You can only enter valid URLs in the canonical URL setting. The goal of that setting is first and formost to tell search engines what is the URL you want to be indexed for a product page. It's not to have whatever URL you want for your product page (it is not a SEF alias system like you can have in SEF extensions like sh404sef).
That's where your problem is.
I told you that to get the URLs you wanted, you had to empty the "product sef name" setting.
But you didn't do it and entered a canonical URL as if it was empty.
So the SEF system is expecting a URL liek this: www.ijscomanvenlo.nl/webwinkel/product/stalen-kandelaar but you're giving it a URL like this: www.ijscomanvenlo.nl/webwinkel/stalen-kandelaar
So it's missing a piece and it is not able to understand what the URL is supposed to display.
The best is to first have your canonical URLs empty. Then, configure HikaShop your HikaShop to generate the URLs dynamically like you want, and once you're satisfied, you can add these URLs in the "canonical URL" setting.

5 years 6 months ago #299313

Hi,

I removed the canonical URL's.
"Force canonical URL's on listings "is now set to "No, generate the URls'"
ProductSEF name is now empty

Result:
Error messages are gone
"product" is removed from URL and breandcrumbs.

But:
I still have "webwinkel1" as part of URL and breadcrumb, which is the name of a categories listing menu item in the Hikashop default menu.
And if go one level up in the breadcrumbs (on a product page) en click :"webwinkel1" in the breadcrumbs, I end up on some kind of categories listing page. While I expect to go back to the products listing where I came from. Which is still the original problem from a few messages ago!

Kind regards,

Hubert

5 years 6 months ago #299315

Hi,

Yes, that's the problem from before, which I was saying that I didn't understand how that could be possible.
However, there is a simple solution to circumvent the issue.
You can now enter the canonical URL of the products, but instead of using the alias of the webwinkel1 menu item, enter the alias of the webwinkel menu item. Once you activate back the "force canonical URLs on listings" setting, these canonical URLs will be used on the listings and you'll get exactly what you want.

5 years 6 months ago #299357

Dear Nicolas,

I appreciate your help, but am a bit disappointed that Hikashop propsoes a workaround instead of trying to find out what the problem is and fix it.

I'll stick to the current situation and will look into it later.\

Kind regards,

Hubert

5 years 6 months ago #299402

Hi,

I did offer to look into that specific problem in a previous message:

If that still doesn't help you, then yes, we'll need a backend access because I don't see how that would be possible to have a different menu item used than the current one if you don't have a canonical URL entered.
In that case, please provide that along with a link to this thread via our contact form here:
www.hikashop.com/support/contact-us.html

But you didn't go through with that. Which is why I proposed an alternative workaround in my previous message.
I'm sorry if that wasn't clear but my offer to look into it still stands if you can provide the access I had requested before.

5 years 6 months ago #299507

Nicols,

Then something went wrong! I sent you my login info already 5 days ago for this reason via your contact form. Did you not receive them?

Kind regards,

Hubert

5 years 6 months ago #299534

Hi,

Indeed, there was a miscommunication in the team on our end.
I got the accesses and had a look.
The issue is the language of your menu item.
It is set to the language "nl-NL", but the current language of the website is en-GB.
So the menu item webwinkel is not even supposed to display in your main menu. It's a mistery why you have it there.
And regarding the problem with the links, since the current language is en-GB and the system tries to generate the links with a menu item restricted to the nl-NL language, it automatically correct the menu item in the generated links to use a menu item which can be used for en-GB and thus it switchs to the webwinkel1 menu item which doesn't has that language restriction.
So basically, the issue is not in HikaShop but in how the menu items have been set up.
Also, it seems that your website is only for the nl-NL language, so you should change the default language to nl-NL in the Joomla languages manager. Otherwise, all the interface on the frontend (which comes from translation files and not text that you entered yourself), like the "add to cart" button, the "proceed to checkout" button in the cart module etc are in Engilsh even though the text you entered yourself is in Dutch. That would also automatically fix the problem with the menu item in the links since the current language would match with the current language.

5 years 6 months ago #299655

Dear Nicolas,

It seems to work!!

Thanx for the help and the patience.

Regards,

Hubertr

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds