Facebook debug - The 'og:image' property should be explicitly provided

• Thank you received: 5
  • Hikashop Business
3 months 5 days ago #358599

-- HikaShop version -- : 5.0.3
-- Joomla version -- : 4.4.2
-- PHP version -- : 8.2.14
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : The 'og:image' property should be explicitly provided, even if a value can be inferred from other tags.

Hi,
on my site og:image is correctly filled for products pages but not for categories pages.

Facebook debug shows the message "The 'og:image' property should be explicitly provided" and no image is inserted when sharing category link on Facebook.

I've also tried to add an image to category settings but it doesn't work.

What am I missing?

Thank you
Kind regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13077
3 months 3 days ago #358623

Hi,

HikaShop doesn't add any OpenGraph tags on listings. It only add the tags on the product pages if you've activated the corresponding setting of the HikaShop social networks plugin via the Joomla plugins manager.
On listings, HikaShop doesn't have the capability to add share buttons and thus OpenGraph tags would not usually be needed there.

Now, I can see that you have a SP Page Builder share area at the top of all the pages of your website.
So I suppose it is normal that Facebook complains that the OG tags are missing on all the other pages (and not only HikaShop listing pages) besides the product pages.
So either SP Page Builder has some mechanism to be able to provide OG tags on the pages, or you need to install a separate extension in order to do that:
extensions.joomla.org/tags/open-graph/

The following user(s) said Thank You: bellaidea

• Hikashop Business
3 months 1 day ago #358699

Thank you for your reply, Nicolas.

nicolas wrote: Hi,
... On listings, HikaShop doesn't have the capability to add share buttons and thus OpenGraph tags would not usually be needed there.

I don't agree. IMHO, even if HikaShop insn't able to add share buttons (I use my own anyway), visitors can share content using the browser's share functions (mobile) or via copy/paste of the URL. That's why OpenGraph should be inserted in every page at least with basic tags such as og:url, og:site_name, og:title, og:description and og:image (at least a default generic one or, better, HikaShop category's one).

nicolas wrote: ...it is normal that Facebook complains that the OG tags are missing on all the other pages (and not only HikaShop listing pages) besides the product pages.

I tried to use Phoca Open Graph Content Plugin but HikaShop doesn't override it so I've disabled it to allow you to see HikaShop's problem without any interference. That's why you havent seen OG tags on the other pages.
Also, I have full control on other pages and can even set tags on them manually. So I'm not worried about other pages but only about HikaShop pages.[/quote]

nicolas wrote: So either SP Page Builder has some mechanism to be able to provide OG tags on the pages

It has it. For now only 2 pages (home and contacts) are done using SP Page Builder and both have OG tags.

Only "Servizi" (Services) page and sub menus do not have OG set because, as I told, I've disabled Phoca plugin.

So, could I hope that OG tags will soon be implemented also for HikaShop listings?

Thank you very much
Kind regards

Last edit: 3 months 1 day ago by bellaidea.

• Thank you received: 13077
3 months 1 day ago #358702

Hi,

That's why OpenGraph should be inserted in every page at least with basic tags such as og:url, og:site_name, og:title, og:description and og:image

I don't agree with you that it is useful to have OpenGraph tags on any page of a website. But even if you think this is necessary, that's not something HikaShop should be supposed to provide, especially for pages which are not HikaShop pages. As I said, there are already many extensions that does this for Joomla and which will allow you to add these OG tags on all the pages where they are missing, including the category pages.

Also, I have full control on other pages and can even set tags on them manually. So I'm not worried about other pages but
only about HikaShop pages

Then, if you can already add OG tags with Phoca Open Graph Content Plugin on any page of your website, I don't see why you can't also do it for the category pages of HikaShop ?

So, could I hope that OG tags will soon be implemented also for HikaShop listings?

That's something we can add on our todo list. It could be an interesting thing to add in the future, even though the benefits are quite limited, IMHO.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bellaidea

• Hikashop Business
2 months 4 weeks ago #358830

nicolas wrote: Hi,
I don't agree with you that it is useful to have OpenGraph tags on any page of a website. But even if you think this is necessary, that's not something HikaShop should be supposed to provide, especially for pages which are not HikaShop pages. As I said, there are already many extensions that does this for Joomla and which will allow you to add these OG tags on all the pages where they are missing, including the category pages.

I think I've not been clear. The page I refer is a HikaShop page, a HikaShop Products listing page.

nicolas wrote: Then, if you can already add OG tags with Phoca Open Graph Content Plugin on any page of your website, I don't see why you can't also do it for the category pages of HikaShop?

Because it interferes with HikaShop pages. It seems they are not compatible. Also, og:image should be automatically taken from HikaShop main category's image and Phoca can't do it while HikaShop can.
I think it should be great if HikaShop could generate OG tags on ALL its pages, including product listings. Than I could think about all the others, even by setting tags by hand.

nicolas wrote: That's something we can add on our todo list. It could be an interesting thing to add in the future, even though the benefits are quite limited, IMHO.

Thank you!
Regards

Last edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by bellaidea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds