- Posts: 4
- Thank you received: 0
Characteristics Limitation
- patriciaclee
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
11 years 11 months ago #177870
by patriciaclee
Characteristics Limitation was created by patriciaclee
-- url of the page with the problem -- :
cherryrig.com/index.php/hikashop-menu-fo...latex-womens-catsuit
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.3.4
-- Joomla version -- : 3.3.6
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.26
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : FF 33.02
No product will display a page properly if the product requires selection of more than two characteristics. Example above of a product with a third characteristic added.
Below is a link to a page, same store, same category but just two characteristics added and it works fine. I have experimented with this and find that anytime I added a third the above error link is the result.
cherryrig.com/index.php/hikashop-menu-fo...le-catsuit-for-women
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.3.4
-- Joomla version -- : 3.3.6
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.26
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : FF 33.02
No product will display a page properly if the product requires selection of more than two characteristics. Example above of a product with a third characteristic added.
Below is a link to a page, same store, same category but just two characteristics added and it works fine. I have experimented with this and find that anytime I added a third the above error link is the result.
cherryrig.com/index.php/hikashop-menu-fo...le-catsuit-for-women
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- patriciaclee
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 4
- Thank you received: 0
11 years 11 months ago #177893
by patriciaclee
Replied by patriciaclee on topic Characteristics Limitation
After adding a fourth Set of characteristics it seems I can use all but the third set.. so this is what I am doing to work around the issue. No need for immediate help.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
11 years 11 months ago #177922
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Characteristics Limitation
Hi,
HikaShop has no characteristic limitation. However, for each characteristic you add, the number of variants of the product is multiplied by the amount of values of the characteristic.
If you have 3 characteristics with 10 values each, it means 1000 variants. That's too much to handle for a normal server on a single page (that's why there is a pagination on listings).
But that also means that you probably don't need variants for your product (I suppose that you don't need to set a different quantity/price/description/etc for each combination of values of the characteristics of each product. And in that case, it's not characteristics that you want to use but options ( www.hikashop.com/support/support/documen...ct-form.html#options ), or custom fields ( www.hikashop.com/support/support/documen...shop-field-form.html ) of the table "item" (or maybe a combination of these different types of attributes).
HikaShop has no characteristic limitation. However, for each characteristic you add, the number of variants of the product is multiplied by the amount of values of the characteristic.
If you have 3 characteristics with 10 values each, it means 1000 variants. That's too much to handle for a normal server on a single page (that's why there is a pagination on listings).
But that also means that you probably don't need variants for your product (I suppose that you don't need to set a different quantity/price/description/etc for each combination of values of the characteristics of each product. And in that case, it's not characteristics that you want to use but options ( www.hikashop.com/support/support/documen...ct-form.html#options ), or custom fields ( www.hikashop.com/support/support/documen...shop-field-form.html ) of the table "item" (or maybe a combination of these different types of attributes).
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- patriciaclee
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 4
- Thank you received: 0
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #178014
by patriciaclee
Replied by patriciaclee on topic Characteristics Limitation
Hello
Thank you for this,
The products have up to 40 different color choices. The idea certainly is not to add 40 choices each time I enter a product as I have over 1200 products to add to this store and some will have that color choice (of 40) as well as size and also with or without certain features. For that reason a central selector I can add to every new product is necessary for each choice (having to add even three choices to each product when there are 1200 needs to be efficient).
I have run this identical set of products in a Miva store on the same server for several years (and am a Linux / Unix Certified admin of more than 40 of them) so I know the server is not an issue. The idea is to migrate out of Miva.
So my question is, will this software be sufficient for this kind of store. If so, what is my best bet for having 40 color choices to add as options to over 500 of the products.
Is that an Option or is that a Characteristic (given I want to set that choice up once and then add with ease to each product I input).
Thank you for this,
The products have up to 40 different color choices. The idea certainly is not to add 40 choices each time I enter a product as I have over 1200 products to add to this store and some will have that color choice (of 40) as well as size and also with or without certain features. For that reason a central selector I can add to every new product is necessary for each choice (having to add even three choices to each product when there are 1200 needs to be efficient).
I have run this identical set of products in a Miva store on the same server for several years (and am a Linux / Unix Certified admin of more than 40 of them) so I know the server is not an issue. The idea is to migrate out of Miva.
So my question is, will this software be sufficient for this kind of store. If so, what is my best bet for having 40 color choices to add as options to over 500 of the products.
Is that an Option or is that a Characteristic (given I want to set that choice up once and then add with ease to each product I input).
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by patriciaclee.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
11 years 11 months ago #178039
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Characteristics Limitation
Hi,
As I said, when you use a characteristic, the system automatically generate one variant for each choice and so you can quickly get hundred of entries in the database for one product. That has the advantage to be able to have different choices for different products and to customize the product for each choice.
What you want, as I said in my previous answer, is to use an option instead of a characteristic, or even better, a custom field of the table "item". That way, the system won't generate a variant for each choice and you won't have such resource limitation.
So yes, that software is sufficient for such store, provided that you use the correct tool for the job
As I said, when you use a characteristic, the system automatically generate one variant for each choice and so you can quickly get hundred of entries in the database for one product. That has the advantage to be able to have different choices for different products and to customize the product for each choice.
What you want, as I said in my previous answer, is to use an option instead of a characteristic, or even better, a custom field of the table "item". That way, the system won't generate a variant for each choice and you won't have such resource limitation.
So yes, that software is sufficient for such store, provided that you use the correct tool for the job
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- patriciaclee
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 4
- Thank you received: 0
11 years 11 months ago #178116
by patriciaclee
Replied by patriciaclee on topic Characteristics Limitation
That sounds great.
I looked for where I can add one option (a choice of 40 colors) and save it so that i can assign it to all 500 products that will offer it but ths was not as obvious. If you can point me there, I am on my way
Otherwise loving the software!
I looked for where I can add one option (a choice of 40 colors) and save it so that i can assign it to all 500 products that will offer it but ths was not as obvious. If you can point me there, I am on my way
Otherwise loving the software!
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
11 years 11 months ago #178118
by Mohamed Thelji
Replied by Mohamed Thelji on topic Characteristics Limitation
Hello,
If the price of your product won't be affected by its color, the solution will probably be to use an "Item" custom field via "Hikashop->Display->Custom Fields".
If the price of your product won't be affected by its color, the solution will probably be to use an "Item" custom field via "Hikashop->Display->Custom Fields".
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds