User Registration After Guest Checkout?
- MichaelTunnell
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Designer, Developer, Writer, Linux Enthusiast.
I am thinking of using Hikashop on one of my client's websites but I have a question that I could not find in documentation or via forum search.
My client would like customers to be able to checkout as Guests (without login) in order to remove as much effort for the customer up front to make the order but then to have some way to detect that customer after the fact for a certain amount of time. I was thinking the best way would be to automatically make an account for them to be emailed to them after purchase.
Here is the needed workflow:
1. Customer Checkouts as a Guest
2. User Account is created with email as username (password auto-generated)
3. Account Info is emailed to the user along with the receipt of the order.
4. Customer goes to the site, logins and uses the content they purchased.
Optional Workflow which would work as well:
1. Customer Checkouts as a Guest
2. System emails a custom url that only works for a certain amount of time and then deletes itself. (example: url.com/product.php?orderid=jiu1yt2f35g4h321jiqweuytf )
3. URL deletes and locks customer out of the content.
I was thinking of doing the first one since I could use Joomla ACLs to control the access pretty easily if the registration was possible like that.
Note - this is for digital media content so address and other physical goods related items are not needed.
Personal: michaeltunnell.com
Business: visuex.com
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please refer to the documentation: hikashop.com/support/support/documentati....html#checkout_login
(The screenshot might be outdated, but all description is basically true.)
You'll find that using "Simplified registration" and turning off "Ask address on registration" are two key elements in getting you what you want.
Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- MichaelTunnell
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Designer, Developer, Writer, Linux Enthusiast.
by the way, buying a commercial version is just fine and I expected to need that.
Personal: michaeltunnell.com
Business: visuex.com
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
When it is set to "simplified registration", those fields will also be removed but an account will be automatically created for the users and an email will be sent to him with his assigned username and password.
Means that registration happens during the purchase, during the checkout process. So, a user (= customer) account does exist from then on, which the customer can continue to use when coming back to the site.
Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- MichaelTunnell
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Designer, Developer, Writer, Linux Enthusiast.
I like HikaShop anyway and I do not regret the purchase but what I asked is not possible. During checkout is probably better method in the long run anyway but still.
Personal: michaeltunnell.com
Business: visuex.com
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please post screenshots of your checkout and login & registration configurations.
-> System -> Configuration -> tab Checkout, then both "Checkout" and "Login & Registration"
Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
The flow that you stated in your first message is:
The only difference is that the account info is emailed to the user in a separate email than the receipt of the order.
So I'm not sure if you were talking about something else or if you missed something in the setup but it seems that what you want is totally doable with HikaShop.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- MichaelTunnell
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Designer, Developer, Writer, Linux Enthusiast.
This is not a deal breaker for me but insisting that this is what I want is a disconnect.
I do not care that what I asked is not possible, I simply wanted to clarify on this thread that the above advice is not accurate to what I wanted just in case someone else finds this thread by searching for the same functionality.
It is a very odd request and I realize that, in fact it isn't really practical at all but I was just wondering if it was possible. I do not need to do it that way so I do not regret the purchase at all. Hikashop is freaking awesome actually so it is not an issue of being misguided or anything just that I would have preferred a response of "that is not possible at this moment" rather than what I received.
I think I just realized where the misunderstanding originated from . . .
1. Customer Checkouts as a Guest
2. User Account is created with email as username (password auto-generated)
What I meant by that:
1. to completely checkout as a Guest paying for the product and everything.
2. then come back to create an account
What I think y'all perceived it meaning:
1. Go to checkout as a Guest
2. Create an account at Checkout stage.
So, I think the issue boils down to me not being clear enough for what I was asking about.
Oh well, I've changed the checkout process on my end to accommodate the at checkout method and it works great now.
Personal: michaeltunnell.com
Business: visuex.com
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
What's practical for your specific case or not is entirely for you to decided... frankly, I'm sometimes baffled what people are asking for here, haha.
However, as far as "inaccurate" information is concerned you claim you've been given (referring to me, obviously):
I've pointed you to relevant and correct documentation, even quoted some of it and explained it further in this post: www.hikashop.com/forum/checkout/874836-u...checkout.html#190146
None of which was or is "inaccurate". Actually, please note the underlined word in the context, plus the fact that the post hasn't been modified ever since.
So, you had accurate information, with emphasis on the timely order of things in the process - since you had asked. No one claimed (automatic) registration is possible after completion of checkout without (guest) customer's action - let alone how non-practical this would be, or what technical difficulties this could mean, or that data of the completed order will likely not be accessible for the customer who is being registered after the completed guest checkout.
As always, no offence, but in the interest of everyone involved here - including all other fellow users, indeed - maybe we can limit requests to those which are actually really wanted/needed/required for whatever reason in a real-world situation. As opposed to those which are made to "just see what's all possible or not" (in my own words).
Thanks & cheers.
Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.