- Posts: 10
- Thank you received: 0
Sorting of Shipping Methods and Default Selection
13 years 1 month ago #119960
by esses
Sorting of Shipping Methods and Default Selection was created by esses
Hello,
Is there a method to sort the shipping options presented to the end customer? if we were to use a mixture of USPS and UPS and FedEx, I'd like to sort all of the options by cost when presenting them to the customer.
In lieu of that, is there a way to automatically default to the cheapest option? By default in the USPS module, the "first" option is auto selcted... and that is priority mail. At a minimum I'd like the chaper "First Class Mail' to be default
Is there a method to sort the shipping options presented to the end customer? if we were to use a mixture of USPS and UPS and FedEx, I'd like to sort all of the options by cost when presenting them to the customer.
In lieu of that, is there a way to automatically default to the cheapest option? By default in the USPS module, the "first" option is auto selcted... and that is priority mail. At a minimum I'd like the chaper "First Class Mail' to be default
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 1 month ago #119988
by Eliot
Replied by Eliot on topic Sorting of Shipping Methods and Default Selection
Hi there,
In the shipping method listing page of the backend (System>shipping method), you have the possibility to set an order for your methods. Just order them thanks to the "order" field of the listing". Once, this is done, the first method will automatically be selected, so if you put the cheaper first, it should work as you want
In the shipping method listing page of the backend (System>shipping method), you have the possibility to set an order for your methods. Just order them thanks to the "order" field of the listing". Once, this is done, the first method will automatically be selected, so if you put the cheaper first, it should work as you want
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 1 month ago #120141
by esses
Replied by esses on topic Sorting of Shipping Methods and Default Selection
Oh, i meant within each shipping method. There's 2 scenarios I'm primarily interested in.
1) If I use only 1 shipping method (say USPS) and have 5 shipping options. Can I somehow manually reorder those options so the one that _tends_ to be cheapest shows up first, regardless of it actually being cheaper or not, and ideally automatically select it by default.
2) USPS returns 5 applicable shipping methods... UPS returns 4, Fedex returns 3. Is there a way to arrange those by price (and default to the absolute cheapest) between the various shipping methods?
1) If I use only 1 shipping method (say USPS) and have 5 shipping options. Can I somehow manually reorder those options so the one that _tends_ to be cheapest shows up first, regardless of it actually being cheaper or not, and ideally automatically select it by default.
2) USPS returns 5 applicable shipping methods... UPS returns 4, Fedex returns 3. Is there a way to arrange those by price (and default to the absolute cheapest) between the various shipping methods?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #120156
by esses
Replied by esses on topic Sorting of Shipping Methods and Default Selection
I believe i've figured this out. The key is to make multiple instances of the same shipping method, each one with it's own selection of shipping options.
So for example, I made 3 USPS shipping methods. One called first class mail. The 2nd called Priority mail. The 3rd called Express mail. Each with it's own set of restrictions, add-on-fees, notes, and relevant options selected.
Repeat for FedEx and UPS. And of course re-order in the "Shipping Methods" menu as you'd mentioned to set the default and relative order... mixing and matching FedEx, UPS, and USPS as you wish.
In hind sight, this seems so obvious but I couldn't find any tips on this anywhere, so I thought I'd document my learning for future users.
Hopefully this is the right way to accomplish this.
So for example, I made 3 USPS shipping methods. One called first class mail. The 2nd called Priority mail. The 3rd called Express mail. Each with it's own set of restrictions, add-on-fees, notes, and relevant options selected.
Repeat for FedEx and UPS. And of course re-order in the "Shipping Methods" menu as you'd mentioned to set the default and relative order... mixing and matching FedEx, UPS, and USPS as you wish.
In hind sight, this seems so obvious but I couldn't find any tips on this anywhere, so I thought I'd document my learning for future users.
Hopefully this is the right way to accomplish this.
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by esses.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds