USPS International Rates Too Low
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.4.0
-- Joomla version -- : 2.5.27
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.39
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Safari 7.1.4
We just discovered that our USPS API is apparently returning shipping rate quotes for international orders that are way too low. For example, an order placed on Friday charged $6.55 to ship from the west coast of the US to Iceland. The actual cost was over $60. In fact, another international order a week or so earlier was also charged $6.55, as though this has become some sort of default amount. I suspect this problem may be related to USPS's API update from earlier this year when their rates changed, but can't figure out how to test this theory. International orders placed last year charged shipping at various rates, all of which seem pretty reasonable. Domestic shipments are fine then and now.
At this point, I've disabled international orders to keep from losing money on shipping problems. However, we NEED to be able to ship internationally and I don't know what to do to remedy this problem.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I'm panicking!
The Gold Standard in Direct Instruction.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
I suspect this problem may be related to USPS's API update from earlier this year when their rates changed, but can't figure out how to test this theory. International orders placed last year charged shipping at various rates, all of which seem pretty reasonable. Domestic shipments are fine then and now.
Note that our USPS shipping plugin only display the rates that are returned from the USPS platform so the best solution will probably be to ask it to USPS.
You can also tell them that the USPS plugin is doing its request through the "IntlRateV2" API through that link : production.shippingapis.com/ShippingAPI.dll
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Nifdi...have you gotten anywhere with USPS Tech Support yet?
Thanks
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
@Dragon41673 -- I'm attempting the USPS Tech Support, too...this wait is crazy! I'll post if/as soon as I get through or resolution. Would you be willing to do the same?
The Gold Standard in Direct Instruction.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I'm on the list for call back on the "over an hour wait"...which is insane!
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
The Gold Standard in Direct Instruction.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Can you please apply the patch I gave in that thread ?
www.hikashop.com/forum/install-update/87...-upgrade.html#198519
It should fix an issue during the package processing and it is possible that it will also fix your rating issue.
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
That worked! It's fixed with that solution...the only thing I need to verify is that I placed several things in to my cart, and only after deleting 3 of them, did First Class International Shipping option come back. I'm going to go check the weight totals now on those items...but any thoughts on this?
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
The fix is in fact proper. The items I added to the cart came out at 7 pounds, which is over the 4 pound limit for First Class International Packages.
As always...you guys are the best.
Nifdi...hopefully you can edit your file & apply the fix as well.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I'll post back as soon as I'm done testing.
THANK YOU, JEROME!
The Gold Standard in Direct Instruction.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
An error cropped up, though. It said "Failed to obtain shipping quotes". This ONLY happened when I increased the pounds for the shipment (by adding more products) to 10 points and up. I assume this is related to the fact we offered first class international mail and the 10 pounds would exceed the maximum weight we can send First Class. Is there a way to make this error not show up when this happens?
The Gold Standard in Direct Instruction.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Thanks Dragon41673
Good to know that the patch fix the issue.
@Nifdi
The message is display when USPS return a message from the webservice call but where the is no "Package / Postage" or "Package / Service" available.
Maybe the message is not appropriate due to your current context ; having more details about your website and how reproduce the issue could help us to understand what USPS webservice returned you and what the plugin should display.
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
The problem only arises when an order (these are all books) exceeds the First Class international shipments maximums (at this point, I don't know if it is weight or, more likely, dimensions). I haven't seen it in any other context or situation.
For domestic shipments, we only offer media mail and priority shipping, neither one of which has a weight limit or dimension problem at this point.
To recreate it, simply visit our store at www.nifdi.org/resources/store , add several items to the cart and proceed to checkout, shipping to anywhere outside of the US (I've been using Iceland as my example because that is where this problem arose) and I expect you to see this problem.
In the screenshots below, you can see where I was in excess of some maximum (again, I don't know if it is weight or size -- I THINK it is weight and the 10# mark seems to be the cutoff for this problem; at least when using an Iceland shipping address) and got the error. By removing the second item (which was multiples, creating a lot of weight), removed the error.
The Gold Standard in Direct Instruction.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Thanks for the pretty complete details to reproduce the message in your website.
But if we want to see what USPS returned you ; we have to reproduce that configuration in our local website (similar USPS configuration, products with same weight/dimension) or we need an FTP access to your website in order to add some debug trace and see what USPS really return you during the webservice call.
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Thanks!
The Gold Standard in Direct Instruction.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
You can use the "contact us" form (with a link to that forum thread so we will know what to do with the credentials).
www.hikashop.com/support/contact-us.html
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
The Gold Standard in Direct Instruction.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
The FTP you gave us point to an empty folder and we are "chroot" in that directory ; we can't see anything else.
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.