- Posts: 6
- Thank you received: 1
Shipping Costs Too High and Error
- kitstrauss
-
Topic Author
- Offline
-- Joomla version -- : 3.4.1
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.43
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Opera 31.0.1889.99
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : Message
USPS error: -2147219385 The entered dimensions result in the mail piece being oversized and cannot be mailed with the requested mail service.
Failed to obtain shipping quotes.
Hi,
I'm using HikaShop Business and have the USPS plugin active. It's been working fine.
A customer placed an order and the shipping for a DVD and workbook was $26.90 -- way too high. I received an error about the dimensions. However, I checked the dimensions and they are correct and should not result in an oversized package at all.
However, that shipping cost and error was only for a newly registered user. When I shopped for the exact same items under an existing user (just a login instead of a registration) the shipping was at an expected level of $10.15. I tried the same address of the existing user as a new user and the error and high shipping occurred.
Thank you for your assistance with this shipping issue.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Would it be possible to know more about your product configuration (for his dimensions) ; and your USPS configuration (without the credentials, for sure).
So we could perform some tests in our side.
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- kitstrauss
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Posts: 6
- Thank you received: 1
First, the dimensions for the two products were 5x7x1 inches with a weight of 1 pound (DVD). The second was 8x12x2 inches with a weight of 1 pound (workbook).
Second, the shipping is set to Priority, Express, and First Class. Weight and dimension approximation are 90% and the First Class mail type is parcel with the container being variable.
Thanks.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Can you try it without the dimension approximation ?
Because in your case you'll have your dimension equals to : your current dimension + (90 * your current dimension) / 100
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- kitstrauss
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- Posts: 6
- Thank you received: 1
Thank you.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Hikashop Business 2.6.0
Was there a resolution to this issue? I noticed the last post here mentions the shipping costs being too low when the weight and dimensions approx are left blank.
We're having a similar issue - the shipping costs are way too low and our client is losing money on shipping charges. We even have a 1.50 price to cover handling, but the shipping charge is still about $6 short. This issue began after a recent Hikashop update.
3by400, Inc.
3by400.com
Websites that Work, Marketing that Matters
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I tested an order with a product with the following dimensions:
weight - 1.8 lbs
volume - 10.5, 7, 1.5 in
The shipping was calculated at Priority Mail - $10.50, including a $1.50 handling fee. This is exactly the price reported by my client's postage meter.
But the problem arises when a second, smaller product is added to the cart.
I added to the same order above a product with the following dimensions:
weight - 3 oz
volume - 5, .010, 2 in
Now on this order, which included the first product and the second product the shipping charge was calculated at First Class - $4.04 - and Priority Mail - $7.65. First class should only be offered for orders at or below 13 oz.
When I remove the first, larger product from the cart the shipping charge remains at First Class - $4.04 - and Priority Mail - $7.65.
So, it seems that the USPS shipping plugin is only calculating the shipping charge on the smallest product in the cart, rather than adding the products.
3by400, Inc.
3by400.com
Websites that Work, Marketing that Matters
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
3by400, Inc.
3by400.com
Websites that Work, Marketing that Matters
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
If in the mean time you could provide all the necessary information in order to study the problem, that would be great:
- screenshot of the settings of your shipping method
- weight and dimensions of your test product(s)
- shipping address you're using
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I've provided weights and dimensions of test products in my original post. I'm attaching a screenshot of the plugin settings. My client is very eager to get this resolved.
Also, you can use this fake address to test:
123 Main St
Haslet, TX 76052
3by400, Inc.
3by400.com
Websites that Work, Marketing that Matters
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Sorry for the late reply, I tried to reproduce it on my end but it worked fine. Note that if your rates are too low, it can be coming from the fact that USPS is automatically grouping the product on packages until it reach the package dimension/weight limit. A solution can be to only use one package per product and edit the file "plugins\hikashopshipping\usps\usps.php" and change this line :
You can send it through our contact form : www.hikashop.com/support/contact-us.html
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I don't think that would answer the question as to why shipping is cheaper when both test products are in the cart, vs just the first test product.
Its only calculating shipping on the smaller of the two products, when more than one product is in the cart.
3by400, Inc.
3by400.com
Websites that Work, Marketing that Matters
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Which file should this change be made in? Looks like your post omitted that.
3by400, Inc.
3by400.com
Websites that Work, Marketing that Matters
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
I just added the modification that I previously gave you but I can't directly test it on your website, I'm facing that error message :
Your activity has triggered a malicious activity response on this server. If you are a legitimate user of this site, please contact your server administrator. If you are not an authorized user, please cease and desist.
By default, the USPS shipping plugin is grouping your products on 1 packages regarding USPS limits, so in your case, even if you have 2 products, the USPS plugin will tell to USPS that only "one package will be sent" and then it will display the price returned by USPS. That's why I wanted you to add that customization to prevent your products to be grouped.I don't think that would answer the question as to why shipping is cheaper when both test products are in the cart, vs just the first test product.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Unfortunately, this change didn't resolve the issue. As I said before, the issue is that the shipping charge is lower when both products are in the cart. If the issue was due to combined packages, the weights would still be combined and the rate would be higher for heavier packages.
In our case, the rate is only being calculated on the smaller of the two products in the cart.
See screenshot -
-- When both products are in the cart shipping is $4.04 for first class and $7.65 for priority. There shouldn't be a first class option offered because the combined weights of the products is greater than 13 oz.
-- But when only the sweatshirt is in the cart, shipping is only offered at priority $7.65.
The product weights should be combined to retrieve the rate, but that isn't happening. Also, USPS doesn't require volume to calculate a rate, but Hikashop is requiring volume to retrieve a correct rate. If volume is left empty, the rate is wrong even for a single product.
Also, I've unblocked your IP address from admin tools.
3by400, Inc.
3by400.com
Websites that Work, Marketing that Matters
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
I successfully reproduced your issue through your website (it's working fine on my end) so I'll also absolutely need a temporary back-end access, so that I can check your configuration. You can send it through our contact form : www.hikashop.com/support/contact-us.html
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I sent you that information earlier this week, along with FTP access, and noted in my previous post that I unblocked your IP address in Admin Tools, which was generating the message you received.
3by400, Inc.
3by400.com
Websites that Work, Marketing that Matters
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
When I try to login through your front-end with the account that you gave me, I'm having the following error message :
Also, when I try to go to YourWebSite/administrator, I'm directly redirected to YourWebSite, that's why I asked you again about a temporary back-end access.Your registration process is not yet complete! Please check again your email for further instructions that have just been resent. If you don't find the email, check your spam-box. Make sure that your email account options are not set to immediately delete spam. If that was the case, just try logging in again to receive a new instructions email.
Login
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I've confirmed your account and I've just emailed you the correct admin URL.
3by400, Inc.
3by400.com
Websites that Work, Marketing that Matters
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.