- Posts: 7
- Thank you received: 0
Akeeba subscriptions is going to be discontinued.
Will Hikashop include an own mechanism of subscriptions?
Thanks,
Best regards,
Jose A.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
We are thinking about it yes.
We don't know exactly how we will provide the feature, if we will build something "from scratch" of if we will do a fork of Akeeba Sub (if they agree with).
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Please, when you know you're going to do, tell me something to buy the Business version.
Thanks,
Best regards,
Jose a.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
You can follow our Twitter feed to be notified when we will launch " hikasubscription ".
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Jerome wrote: ...We don't know exactly how we will provide the feature, if we will build something "from scratch" of if we will do a fork of Akeeba Sub (if they agree with)...
I think Akeeba Subscriptions is an excellent starting point and very good integreted with HikaShop...
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
You can read a little more here - www.akeebabackup.com/home/news/1534-the-...e-of-akeebasubs.html
Github page - github.com/akeeba/akeebasubs
I have a couple of extensions using Akeeba subs and have been wondering whether to release them. Without Akeeba subs there is no alternative in the marketplace. It really is a shame that it is not being supported.
FYI Akeeba Subs is released under the GPL so derivative works are okay.
I too have considered cloning / branching the repo and releasing my own version, but to fit in with my business model this would be a paid download.
Other alternatives are for a couple of us to contribute to the existing GIT and help maintain the existing repo.
From your (hikashops) perspective it is a good opportunity to provide a feature that is now not available elsewhere.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Whilst we are on the subject of akeeba - I personally would like to see integration for the Akeeba release system into hikashop.
Have considered doing this myself but have not got around to looking into it.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
We want to provide something which fits nicely in HikaShop, like we did for the multivendor and Hikserial. So branching out is not possible for us. But if you do it on your end, we'll be happy to promote the integration with your fork since the plugins will still work with the forked version. And if any change should be necessary, we would be happy to work with you to have a working integration.
Regarding the release system, I'm not sure what you're referring to ? HikaShop already is integrated with the Joomla update system and you get notified by Joomla when we activate it. And you have a one click update.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
More info on the Akeeba site - www.akeebabackup.com/products/akeeba-release-system.html
You can see an example of it here - www.akeebabackup.com/downloads/akeeba-backup.html
Also on the old downloads section of my own site - deeemm.com/dolphin-7
Integration would require access to all releases per product or perhaps only to a specific release - perfect for allowing unlimited access to purchased versions after a subscription expiration.
It could be that Akeeba Subs is the key here as I believe that it also integrates with ARS.
I will take a look into Akeeba Subs and ARS over the coming weekend and decide if I want to take it on
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Thank you for the information about ARS. Looking at it, I also think that having an integration between akeeba subs or our future subscriptions system (we won't do one in the short or mid term) is probably the way to go. Then you can have HikaShop integrated with akeeba subs but not directly to ARS. I think it's more logical to tie the downloads to the subscriptions than to product sales. That way you can potentially have an end period for the downloads, etc
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
For when you will have the first version of your subscriptions system?
Best regards,
Jose a.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Currently we can't give a date. As Nicolas said:
we won't do one in the short or mid term
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
DeeEmm wrote: ...Other alternatives are for a couple of us to contribute to the existing GIT and help maintain the existing repo...
Hi DeeEmm,
I think that would be a very good solution.
WIth the HikaShop - Akeeba Subscriptions plugin the two components are working very well and you can take advantage of all HikaShop power leaving to Akeeba Subscriptions just the subscription feature "As it was originally intended, the only integration we will include will be the Joomla! user groups one."... that's all !
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I think that to both justify the price and ensure that these issues were addressed would therefore require a fairly major rewrite. which is something that I cannot commit to at this point. I also think that given my business model is low priced paid downloads (and not paid support as per the existing Akeeba Subs) the price would be too high to fit in with my existing products. It also pushes the product into the price bracket where piracy is more prevalent which was my original reason for keeping my products low priced.
At this stage I think that helping maintain the existing GIT repository is a much better idea.
I do have a project on the table that requires using Akeeba subs, if I get a chance I will see if I can rewrite it and absorb the costs as part of the project so that I could launch a cheaper version but at this stage I cannot commit.
DM
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Akeeba subs now isn't even available as a Joomla installable package (you have to build it, etc.). It's quickly becoming an issue for those of us who built sites on it.
It should be easy for a basic subscription system to be added to HS - just the ability to track a purchase date, calculate an expire date, create actions (add/remove from ACL group), batch process expirations (run those actions).
The other alternative would be to just create some integrations with some other subscription systems (PayPlans, Membership Pro, etc.); however, for the instances where I integrate HS and AkeebaSubs (and probably others) we don't need all those 'fancy features' (or we would already be using them without HS).
Any progress on this topic from anyone?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
The development of a subscription system is still not in our short term schedule and it won't change this year for sure ; we have other big projects to do before thinking about this kind of development.
Joomla have several subscription system and now we have the compatibility with Emerald subscription. I think that the integration with other subscription system will be better for HikaShop.
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Emerald is nice, but over-kill (esp. if we just want to let HS handle all the 'selling' of the subscription).
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
I successfully used the couple Hikashop and Akeeba Subscription with the plugin "First Akeeba Subscriptions Plugin" developed by HikaShop team.
I created a subscription and articles about HikaShop Akeeba manages subscription end dates, reminders, permits for download with Akeeba Release System.
The payments are made on Hikashop.
Akeeba Subscription is on Github and I think it will continue.
Akeeba Subscription is a good basis for managing subscriptions and downloads.
Akeeba Subscription is not a good basis for management baskets, invoices and payments.
Here is my feedback
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Teophile wrote: ...Akeeba Subscription is not a good basis for management baskets, invoices and payments...
just use the "Second Akeeba Subscriptions Plugin" and you can fully manage subscriptions with HikaShop baskets, invoices and payments features
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.