- Posts: 131
- Thank you received: 7
Product thumbnails and Retina displays
- bonzomedia
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
13 years 2 weeks ago #124119
by bonzomedia
Product thumbnails and Retina displays was created by bonzomedia
As Retina and high DPI displays are becoming more common, I am seeing a requirement for Hikashop to be able to adapt and present higher resolution thumbnails on these devices.
Are there any plans to implement this?, it's becoming an important requirement...
Are there any plans to implement this?, it's becoming an important requirement...
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 2 weeks ago #124141
by Jerome
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Replied by Jerome on topic Product thumbnails and Retina displays
Hi,
I don't see what HikaShop could or should do.
We don't have any plan for such implementation, personally (and it's my opinion) I don't think that it is not an important requirement. And I am sure that there are Joomla plugins for that. I don't think that is the HikaShop goal or job.
Regards,
I don't see what HikaShop could or should do.
We don't have any plan for such implementation, personally (and it's my opinion) I don't think that it is not an important requirement. And I am sure that there are Joomla plugins for that. I don't think that is the HikaShop goal or job.
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- bonzomedia
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 131
- Thank you received: 7
13 years 2 weeks ago #124147
by bonzomedia
Replied by bonzomedia on topic Product thumbnails and Retina displays
The demand for higher resolution images on websites is a growing requirement - if I'm displaying product photography in my store I want the quality to be as high as possible, who wouldn't?
So when I prepare my image content with high definition displays in mind and I add the images through the product management the thumbnail generation degrades the image to 72dpi. Unless I'm mistaken, the thumbnail generator is supplied as part of Hikashop.
Incidentally, your personal opinion seems to be the opposite of Nicholas's, who, over a year ago suggested that this was something that was being considered. A year ago the uptake of high density displays was MUCH lower than it is today...
www.hikashop.com/forum/2-general-talk-ab...-about-hikashop.html
So when I prepare my image content with high definition displays in mind and I add the images through the product management the thumbnail generation degrades the image to 72dpi. Unless I'm mistaken, the thumbnail generator is supplied as part of Hikashop.
Incidentally, your personal opinion seems to be the opposite of Nicholas's, who, over a year ago suggested that this was something that was being considered. A year ago the uptake of high density displays was MUCH lower than it is today...
www.hikashop.com/forum/2-general-talk-ab...-about-hikashop.html
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 2 weeks ago #124151
by Jerome
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Replied by Jerome on topic Product thumbnails and Retina displays
Hi,
We will see how generate images with PHP GD in a different resolution than 72dpi.
Regards,
We will see how generate images with PHP GD in a different resolution than 72dpi.
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- bonzomedia
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 131
- Thank you received: 7
13 years 2 weeks ago #124152
by bonzomedia
Replied by bonzomedia on topic Product thumbnails and Retina displays
Jerome, OK - thanks - I do know that imagemagick have done work in this area...
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 2 weeks ago #124156
by Jerome
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Replied by Jerome on topic Product thumbnails and Retina displays
Hi,
HikaShop uses by default GD. Using imagemagick will add a module restriction. This module is great but is less used than GD.
www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagejpeg.php#78523
You an use a 72dpi image and scale down it using CSS rules in order to increase his resolution for Retina screens.
DPI Resolution is just an indication, the number of pixels is the real information.
Regards,
PS: The Nicolas' message was 11 months ago, right.
HikaShop uses by default GD. Using imagemagick will add a module restriction. This module is great but is less used than GD.
www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagejpeg.php#78523
You an use a 72dpi image and scale down it using CSS rules in order to increase his resolution for Retina screens.
DPI Resolution is just an indication, the number of pixels is the real information.
Regards,
PS: The Nicolas' message was 11 months ago, right.
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- bonzomedia
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 131
- Thank you received: 7
13 years 2 weeks ago #124159
by bonzomedia
Replied by bonzomedia on topic Product thumbnails and Retina displays
So, the strategy should be to define the image size for the product to be let's say 3 times larger than you'd normally use (72 dpi x 3 = 216 dpi which is approximately a Retina display density) and then force the size of the image display in the CSS to be 33% of the size defined for the product?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 2 weeks ago #124212
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Product thumbnails and Retina displays
Yes, that's it. The browser will then scale down the image to the size you specify in the CSS and the retina display enabled device will be able to use that 'artificially' increased DPI of the image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bonzomedia
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
12 years 10 months ago #131494
by arnask
Replied by arnask on topic Product thumbnails and Retina displays
is there today any simple way to make thumbnails higher resolution? apart from manual resizing and ftp'ing
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
12 years 10 months ago #131519
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Product thumbnails and Retina displays
You should enter a big size for them in the configuration. Then, add CSS to force their size down to fit in properly (example below). And the browser will do the rest.
.hikashop_product img{ width: 100px !important; height: 100px !important; }
.hikashop_product img{ width: 100px !important; height: 100px !important; }
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds