- Posts: 21
- Thank you received: 0
wrong urls in google
- davidmayne
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
10 years 4 months ago #239653
by davidmayne
wrong urls in google was created by davidmayne
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.6.3
Hi,
I have a problem with urls being generated and referenced by google that are not the same as through the menu which works fine. I have set use canonical url and generate if missing.
Thus through main menu www.stepsandstillages.co.uk/second-hand is fine. But I can also reference it by www.stepsandstillages.co.uk/products/sti...egory/19-second-hand , this happens to display fine but sometimes the generated urls dont.
Its been a while since I last looked at hikashop and I cant work out what is going on and how to stop it! I tried setting canonical url on categories to the same as the menu but this gets overwritten so that it looks like the above. I have rewritten some urls in htaccess but this would work only for a few urls. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
David.
Hi,
I have a problem with urls being generated and referenced by google that are not the same as through the menu which works fine. I have set use canonical url and generate if missing.
Thus through main menu www.stepsandstillages.co.uk/second-hand is fine. But I can also reference it by www.stepsandstillages.co.uk/products/sti...egory/19-second-hand , this happens to display fine but sometimes the generated urls dont.
Its been a while since I last looked at hikashop and I cant work out what is going on and how to stop it! I tried setting canonical url on categories to the same as the menu but this gets overwritten so that it looks like the above. I have rewritten some urls in htaccess but this would work only for a few urls. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
David.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 4 months ago #239713
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic wrong urls in google
Hi,
The system seems to be working fine:
take.ms/iYiC5
The correct URL is placed as canonical URL in the page regardless of the link used to access it.
So when google will reindex the page, it should only use the URL of the canonical URL and remove the other from its index.
Note that the reindexing can take a while but you can ask google to check it:
support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6065812?hl=en
The system seems to be working fine:
take.ms/iYiC5
The correct URL is placed as canonical URL in the page regardless of the link used to access it.
So when google will reindex the page, it should only use the URL of the canonical URL and remove the other from its index.
Note that the reindexing can take a while but you can ask google to check it:
support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6065812?hl=en
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- davidmayne
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 21
- Thank you received: 0
10 years 4 months ago #239806
by davidmayne
Replied by davidmayne on topic wrong urls in google
Hi,
Yes the correct canonical is showing now as I set the canonical within the category and set hikashop sef configuration to use canonical url if specified. If I set it to use canonical and generate if missing the catagory canonical is overwritten by the link used to access it and this becomes the new canonical. This happens when I generate a new site map using the old xmap sitemap plugin. Maybe this is the problem.
Thanks.
Yes the correct canonical is showing now as I set the canonical within the category and set hikashop sef configuration to use canonical url if specified. If I set it to use canonical and generate if missing the catagory canonical is overwritten by the link used to access it and this becomes the new canonical. This happens when I generate a new site map using the old xmap sitemap plugin. Maybe this is the problem.
Thanks.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds