Skip to main content

City Taxes

More
15 years 1 month ago #22542 by Rollerskate
City Taxes was created by Rollerskate
I live in Minnesota and have the Minnesota tax rate turned on (though I'm not sure if I did that right). But I also know that the city of Duluth itself has a sales tax as well. How would I be able to turn on a city tax as well as a state tax?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #22557 by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: City Taxes
HikaShop does not handle taxes based on the city by default. Here is a thread which gives a solution and discuss about county/zip code based taxes:
www.hikashop.com/fr/support/forum/4-how-...ipping-location.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #22701 by Rollerskate
Replied by Rollerskate on topic Re: City Taxes
Ok, after reading up on the link provided above, I think I understand it a bit.

In my case, because I'm in Duluth, the only city I need to charge tax is Duluth itself. Then, just for Minnesota if its a Minnesota order.

Outside of that, no taxes.

SO, I would need to make a new category, call it "city", with two options, Duluth, and "Other". If Duluth is picked, then they would be charged the 7.875% rate, but if "other" is chosen, and the state is Minnesota, then their only charged the 6.875% rate.

Does that sound like it would work? It's a bit fuzzy in my head.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #22703 by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: City Taxes
You need to create two state zones:
duluth and other.
Then, unpublish all the country zones you have and change all the USA state zones to become country zones.
Then, set the two state zones you created as subzones of the minnesota country zone.

Then, you can create 2 tax rules, one restricted to the minnesota country zone and one restricted to the Duluth state zone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #22750 by Rollerskate
Replied by Rollerskate on topic Re: City Taxes
I'll give this a shot (though I think my brain imploded a little bit).

But here's a question. On the other line of questioning, it was mentioned that a project may be in the works to do taxes via zip code, how close are you guys on that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #22751 by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: City Taxes
That's an idea which was brought to us recently so we added to the todo list but we have other things to do before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #22777 by Rollerskate
Replied by Rollerskate on topic Re: City Taxes
I am hopelessly lost and can't figure this out. Can someone help me do at least one state correctly, and then I'll do the rest? My brain is now leaking out me ear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum