Skip to main content

Setting up taxes

More
15 years 11 months ago #273 by rexthedog
Setting up taxes was created by rexthedog
I'm setting up a store that only sells cookies. I only want sales tax added if the customer lives in NJ (USA). There should be no tax charged if ordering from any other USA state.

Is this possible? I read through the documentation and also looked at the tax section of your demo site but still cannot figure out how this should be done.


Many thanks!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #276 by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Setting up taxes
Hi,

First, you need to go to System->taxes. Click on "manage tax categories", then "new" and create a new tax category.
Then, go back to System->taxes and click on the "manage tax rates" button, then the "new" button to create a new tax rate with the tax in your state.
Then, go back to System->taxes and click on "new" to create a new tax rule. You will limit it to your state, select your tax category and your tax rate and save.

Then for your products, you need to select the taxation category you created earlier and then their prices will be taxed based on your customers address.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #280 by rexthedog
Replied by rexthedog on topic Re: Setting up taxes
Thanks again nicolas, fixed.

Where is the option to show the price in the cart WITHOUT tax? At some point I believe I set the option to include tax, but I don't want that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #287 by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Setting up taxes
You can set this option in the cart module options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #308 by rexthedog
Replied by rexthedog on topic Re: Setting up taxes
Got it.
Thanks again for all the help Nicolas, really loving HikaShop over all the others I've tried.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3537 by PaulG
Replied by PaulG on topic Re: Setting up taxes
I am thoroughly confused. Following the above instructions, I tried to set up a rule where customers in my state (Washington) will be charged a sales tax. No taxes are charged to anyone outside of Washington. In my testing I discovered that taxes were either applied to everyone, or to no one at all. I just can't figure out how to make it work.

But I'm unable to proceed with my experiments because I've run into another problem. While trying to create a fictitious customer, I discover first that the email address of the previously deleted customer is remains in the email field. It won't go away. Second, after filling in the address fields and clicking "submit" the system returns an empty address form with the message: "Please fill in contact information." The email field, however, is not empty. I have deleted the hikashop cookies, purged my browser cache, and purged the Joomla caches, to no avail. This is very frustrating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3545 by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Setting up taxes
For the taxes: First, make sure you use hikashop 1.4.0 as old versions of Hikashop were a bit clunky on taxes calculation.

The email field is not field by hikashop. It's probably your browser which stored it and put it back automatically. You could easily check that by trying with another browser.

Are you sure that it's the correct message ? Nowhere in joomla nor hikashop can we locate such error message.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3567 by PaulG
Replied by PaulG on topic Re: Setting up taxes
You're right, the problem with the email field and address form was browser related and has resolved itself. However, after creating two test orders - one within Washington and another in Oregon (no tax) - sales tax was applied in both instances.


I did exactly this:

First, you need to go to System->taxes. Click on "manage tax categories", then "new" and create a new tax category.
Then, go back to System->taxes and click on the "manage tax rates" button, then the "new" button to create a new tax rate with the tax in your state.
Then, go back to System->taxes and click on "new" to create a new tax rule. You will limit it to your state, select your tax category and your tax rate and save.

Then for your products, you need to select the taxation category you created earlier and then their prices will be taxed based on your customers address.


Surely I am missing something, but I can't figure out what.


Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3572 by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Setting up taxes
Could you post a screenshot of your tax listing and the URL to your website so that we can test your configuration on your website ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3573 by PaulG
Replied by PaulG on topic Re: Setting up taxes
Here is the link. Screen shot of tax rule attached.

paramipress.com/books/mapping-the-dharma/mtd


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3574 by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Setting up taxes
In your screenshot I see that you didn't set the limit on the washington state ( the zone column value is empty ). So, it's normal that the tax is applied whatever the address. You should edit your tax and select your zone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3582 by PaulG
Replied by PaulG on topic Re: Setting up taxes
I'm still not getting it. After trying again with a Washington address, now no taxes are applied. Here is a recent screen shot of the tax rule.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #3586 by afonic
Replied by afonic on topic Re: Setting up taxes
In Zones you have to enter Washington as the default zone and type as State.

The way you have entered it I guess the system does not point this zone to the state "Washington"

Edit: Meaning when you add the zone again click in the little icon in the Zone, find Washington in states and add it.
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by afonic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #8801 by dontflinch
Replied by dontflinch on topic Re: Setting up taxes
another helpful thread, thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum