- Posts: 11
- Thank you received: 0
[SOLVED] How to shorten the product part of URLs?
- Ludwig von Mises
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
14 years 2 months ago - 14 years 2 months ago #58248
by Ludwig von Mises
My products have the following URL structure:
domain.com/nfl/buy/6-pittsburgh-steelers-cornhole-bags
where:
nfl is the category (I successfully shortened this url in the config. It used to be nfl-cornhole-bags)
buy is what I replaced product with in the config
6-pittsburgh-steelers-cornhole-bags is the product's url, which matches the product title.
I entered pittsburgh-steelers into the URL field in the product options but it doesn't do anything.
Is there any way to shorten the product part of the URL? Did I miss something somewhere in the configuration?
domain.com/nfl/buy/6-pittsburgh-steelers-cornhole-bags
where:
nfl is the category (I successfully shortened this url in the config. It used to be nfl-cornhole-bags)
buy is what I replaced product with in the config
6-pittsburgh-steelers-cornhole-bags is the product's url, which matches the product title.
I entered pittsburgh-steelers into the URL field in the product options but it doesn't do anything.
Is there any way to shorten the product part of the URL? Did I miss something somewhere in the configuration?
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Ludwig von Mises. Reason: solved
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 2 months ago #58330
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: How to shorten the product part of URLs?
The URL field of the product allows you to enter an external URL to the manufacturer website which will be displayed on the product page.
The product name is automatically taken for the URL alias. There is actually no option to set a different alias.
The product name is automatically taken for the URL alias. There is actually no option to set a different alias.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Ludwig von Mises
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 11
- Thank you received: 0
14 years 2 months ago #58349
by Ludwig von Mises
Replied by Ludwig von Mises on topic Re: How to shorten the product part of URLs?
Great! Thanks for the clarifiaction. I thought that URL was for the product itself.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
14 years 2 months ago #58410
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: How to shorten the product part of URLs?
No, that's the role of the SEF systems.
You will find some SEF extensions for Joomla which allow you to modify URLs on the fly in order to do that.
Here is a list of SEF related extensions for Joomla:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-management/sef
You will find some SEF extensions for Joomla which allow you to modify URLs on the fly in order to do that.
Here is a list of SEF related extensions for Joomla:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-management/sef
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Ludwig von Mises
-
Topic Author
- Offline
Less
More
- Posts: 11
- Thank you received: 0
14 years 2 months ago #59050
by Ludwig von Mises
Thanks for the tips. I prefer not to use URL rewrite extensions as they can be heavy on the SQL queries, not to mention that they can be problematic and frequently break on Joomla! and extension upgrades. My motto is to use as few extensions as possible on sites. Since HikaShop products do not use the core Joomla! article content component I guess you guys probably had to code all the SEO stuff yourselves, and we are pretty happy with it. This must be due to the complexity of shopping cart scripts. Page speed is a huge issue with my client and we want to keep the site as "no-frills" as possible.
Replied by Ludwig von Mises on topic Re: How to shorten the product part of URLs?
nicolas wrote: No, that's the role of the SEF systems.
You will find some SEF extensions for Joomla which allow you to modify URLs on the fly in order to do that.
Here is a list of SEF related extensions for Joomla:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/site-management/sef
Thanks for the tips. I prefer not to use URL rewrite extensions as they can be heavy on the SQL queries, not to mention that they can be problematic and frequently break on Joomla! and extension upgrades. My motto is to use as few extensions as possible on sites. Since HikaShop products do not use the core Joomla! article content component I guess you guys probably had to code all the SEO stuff yourselves, and we are pretty happy with it. This must be due to the complexity of shopping cart scripts. Page speed is a huge issue with my client and we want to keep the site as "no-frills" as possible.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds