- Posts: 43
- Thank you received: 1
Custom fields for products not categories?
13 years 11 months ago #68375
by mhunter
Custom fields for products not categories? was created by mhunter
Do custom fields just work with categories of products please? I'd like to add different custom fields to specific products (irrespective of their main category), but I can only see an option to limit what the field applies to by category.
Thanks
Thanks
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 11 months ago #68631
by mhunter
Replied by mhunter on topic Re: Custom fields for products not categories?
I think I have figured out how to do what I want, but if this looks wrong then please someone let me know I've misunderstood!
I read on another post that you can create categories but leave them unpublished (I would never have thought of that) so I have created unpublished categories for my different custom field option types. Then I've created a custom field of type Item for each different option I want customers to choose from (mostly dropdown lists) and limited those fields to the corresponding category. I've then added the relevant categories to each product.
This means that my products may have lots of different categories, depending on which customs fields apply, but I am assuming that is OK?
I read on another post that you can create categories but leave them unpublished (I would never have thought of that) so I have created unpublished categories for my different custom field option types. Then I've created a custom field of type Item for each different option I want customers to choose from (mostly dropdown lists) and limited those fields to the corresponding category. I've then added the relevant categories to each product.
This means that my products may have lots of different categories, depending on which customs fields apply, but I am assuming that is OK?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 11 months ago #68679
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Custom fields for products not categories?
Yes, that's indeed how you can do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mhunter
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Less
More
- Posts: 1
- Thank you received: 0
13 years 11 months ago #70937
by kareem_mohammed
Replied by kareem_mohammed on topic Re: Custom fields for products not categories?
Dear Nicolas,
I have the same need. I have done the described steps above. but the custom fields won't show on the front-end.
I have a product which is part of a published category "Tourism". I added a category called "Other Details" which is unpublished. I then added a custom field called Other Details to the category. And finally assigned multiple categories to the product.
Still i failed to get this to work.
Would like to hear your feedback .
I have the same need. I have done the described steps above. but the custom fields won't show on the front-end.
I have a product which is part of a published category "Tourism". I added a category called "Other Details" which is unpublished. I then added a custom field called Other Details to the category. And finally assigned multiple categories to the product.
Still i failed to get this to work.
Would like to hear your feedback .
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
13 years 11 months ago #71435
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Re: Custom fields for products not categories?
Hi,
One of the settings of the field must not be correct.
Could you do a screenshot of the field's options ?
One of the settings of the field must not be correct.
Could you do a screenshot of the field's options ?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds