HikaShop not on the JED, why ?

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 8 months ago #22207

Hello,
This whole GPL and non-GPL issue is confusing to me. Clearly, there are several extensions in the JED that, strictly speaking, are not complying. Just in the eCommerce realm, there's redShop. Why is redShop still listed, even though they really are selling a commercial product with a very light free version?

Why does the Joomla team remove some extensions and not others? Doesn't make sense.

This kind of confusing rule structure along with the new and much more convoluted release schedule will cause havoc in the JED.

I would suggest that all customers of HikaShop write to the editors of the JED to raise this issue. We should state first that we think Hikashop should be listed, and second that if one is removed then the rules should apply to everyone equally.

Thanks,
Matthew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #22370

What's the status with this?

It goes without saying that it's going to be crucial for you guys to get back on the JED.

In my optinion, Hikashop is the best e-commerce solution (I've also worked with virtuemart, magento, prestashop and others). However, without Hikashop being on the JED it is surely doomed to slowly decline, reducing plugin uptake and development. The majority of people must have initially found you on th JED? I know I did, and decided to go with Hikashop because of the positive reviews there (which I now agree with). The whole reason Virtuemart is so popular is because of the huge amount of third party plugins.

Create your own style of luxury bespoke furniture online

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 8 months ago #22371

From what I understand, we've been banned for 3 months from the JED. So we should hopefully be back in two months...
We didn't get a reply from them to our emails so far.

12 years 8 months ago #22832

Best shopping cart, best support, WTF!? NOT COOL...

12 years 8 months ago #22843

What rules did HS actually break?

12 years 8 months ago #22845

The reason invoke on the JED is:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/e-commerce/shopping-cart/14275

UR13-Bait & Switch/Fraudulent Practices

End Users: This extension developer promotes their extensions in a way that is incompatible with the JED Guidelines and/or the GPL License. We recommend you review the actual extension you purchased or downloaded to ensure your rights are protected. Often, when this error is displayed, the listing owner has intentionally provided "promotional information" for a version of the extension that is not compliant with the JED Terms of Service. This is considered a "Bait and Switch". Additionally, the JED listing may be for an approved version, but the developer attempts to mislead the end-users into downloading/purchasing an encrypted or non-compliant version, or attempts to charge for a non-commercial version.

Developers: If you receive this Unpublish Reason you should immediately enter a support ticket after solving the bait and switch issues. As an additional note, any listing that links to a site that includes non-GPL Joomla extensions will not be published and/or de-listed.

However, as explained in the first post of this thread, we did not had one line of non GLP features on the JED listing description. We made sure that it was the case since the first time we were notified about that problem. No more precise explanation was given by the JED team.

12 years 8 months ago #22849

Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Bugger101.

12 years 8 months ago #22850

Um, I just stormed off to donate and now I can't find where to donate... haha :)

12 years 8 months ago #22852

Thank you for your kind words.

The donate button is located at the bottom of the main documentation page:
www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentation.html

12 years 8 months ago #22863

nicolas wrote:

The reason invoke on the JED is:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/e-commerce/shopping-cart/14275

UR13-Bait & Switch/Fraudulent Practices

End Users: This extension developer promotes their extensions in a way that is incompatible with the JED Guidelines and/or the GPL License. We recommend you review the actual extension you purchased or downloaded to ensure your rights are protected. Often, when this error is displayed, the listing owner has intentionally provided "promotional information" for a version of the extension that is not compliant with the JED Terms of Service. This is considered a "Bait and Switch". Additionally, the JED listing may be for an approved version, but the developer attempts to mislead the end-users into downloading/purchasing an encrypted or non-compliant version, or attempts to charge for a non-commercial version.

Developers: If you receive this Unpublish Reason you should immediately enter a support ticket after solving the bait and switch issues. As an additional note, any listing that links to a site that includes non-GPL Joomla extensions will not be published and/or de-listed.

Thanks for posting that information. Seems there is no real rhyme or reason to their decision to ban extensions. There are loads of extensions on the JED that have an "introductory" version of something, and could be interpreted as "bait & switch." There are several extensions, like yours, where the free version is great and the paid version just offers a little more.

Within the e-commerce realm, I can definitely name at least two extensions whose free version is essentially useless and definitely just a "bait." But they continue to be listed in the JED.

Anyway, not sure if protest could help resolve this.

Thanks,
Matthew

• Thank you received: 11
  • Hikashop Business
12 years 8 months ago #22872

I read the reason why you were taken off the JED on Joomla.org and it's as clear as mud. I just don't get it!!

Anyway, hopefully you'll be back on soon so that you don't miss out on potential customers - because you are doing a fantastic job.

• Thank you received: 13
  • Hikashop Business Hikashop Essential
12 years 8 months ago #22898

Maybe just some bad boys reported the extension, some jealous extension owner...

12 years 8 months ago #23117

yeah, I think the same.. somebody does nto want HS there fore some reason... I am not sure if it helps or not but I did not find Hika Shop on JED, I read on Joomla forum some people saying it was the best extension so far so I looked on google and found you, if you've baned for 3 months you should concentrate on going to Joomla forums and letting people know about how good HS is and they will look in google for you. best of luck, you doing a great job.

12 years 8 months ago #23131

Hello,
Well, I mention HikaShop whenever the topic of e-commerce comes up in conversations or forums. That word-of-mouth work can help overcome the removal from the JED. Eventually, I'm sure HikaShop will be back there again.
Thanks,
Matthew

12 years 8 months ago #23656

the guys running the JED are a joke .. plenty of other extensions selling non-gpl and ioncoded apps,
take community builder and their "CB Subs" just to name a few, but guess what, they're not banning CB
as it's too popular to be booted out !

i'll be using Hikashop in one of my next projects and i wish you good luck.

12 years 8 months ago #23657

Thank you for your support.

12 years 8 months ago #23659

Hello,
I have a lot of respect for Joomla, and it is my main CMS for almost all of my Web projects. But I agree that the JED is in need of some improvement. Besides the ridiculous banning of HikaShop, they also seem to be biased in how they accept or reject reviews.

I try not to write negative reviews, and usually give the benefit of the doubt to developers! However, there were two extensions that to me had real problems. One of them was the biggest e-commerce extension in the JED. My review was removed for strange reasons (something about how I should not be commenting on bugs). When I looked at other extensions, they were accepted even though the reviewers made the same exact points, just about different extensions. I had the same situation for the biggest gallery extension. So it seems they allow negative reviews of certain extensions more than others. This kind of bias makes some extensions look better than they really are, and makes others look worse than they really are.

if the JED keeps this up, it will lose all credibility.

As I said, Joomla is crucial to me, and I support it fully. However, the managers of the JED should look at how MODx does its extension directory. I only use MODx for a small number of projects, but the Jommla JED could learn a lesson from MODx. Developers have far greater freedom in MODx, and MODx has a terrific link right inside the CMS control panel CMS to all registered extensions in the directory library, which makes installation so easy. I don't want to get into a "Joomla vs other CMS" discussion, but when there is a lesson to be learned I think it's helpful to point it out.

I plan to use HikaShop professional on some new sites soon.

Thanks,
Matthew

12 years 8 months ago #23679

if the "free" version is encoded that would probably be the cause. Because then it is NOT open source anymore. And thats a position J! won't budge on.

12 years 8 months ago #23683

The free version of HikaShop is not encoded. And the other versions too.

Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by nicolas.

12 years 8 months ago #23704

I think hikashop is fantastic! It has the best support of any forum I have ever been on.
I have seen many sites, including JA purity, which have commercial editions, or, you have to pay a subscription.
I am a huge supporter of open source, but if people cannot promote commercial editions then how are they meant to be able to support all their free work!!
I will post a message on the joomla forums saying I think it unfair.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds