HikaShop not on the JED, why ?

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 8 months ago #23708

Nicolas, I looked @ u8r license and it was NOT clear to me that it IS "GPL" . THIS will always get you kicked off JED. This has been enforced STRONGLY for a long time.
here's a excerpt from the SMF / Joomla licensing battle...

As a result of this change of direction, only GPL-licensed software can legally be distributed and used inside the Joomla! software. While we regret and are saddened by this development, we respect Joomla!'s position on their software license. As neither SMF nor the SMF bridge for Joomla! are licensed under GPL or a compatible license, we have had to cease distribution of our bridge. Please note that running the software as separate standalone pieces is perfectly fine, the issue is in the integration/bridge.

I remember this battle very clearly.

I'm not advocating either position I don't know enough bout what is going on to do so. I"m trying to reasonably speculate so that it can be resolved should u desire.

as for my encoding statement someone mentioned ion-cube encodement and I thought it applied to hika as well, glad its not... I hate closed source software on my servers.

Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by N6REJ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago #23709

sarsells wrote:

I think hikashop is fantastic! It has the best support of any forum I have ever been on.
I have seen many sites, including JA purity, which have commercial editions, or, you have to pay a subscription.
I am a huge supporter of open source, but if people cannot promote commercial editions then how are they meant to be able to support all their free work!!
I will post a message on the joomla forums saying I think it unfair.

Absolutely. There are thousands of commercial apps in JED. There are at least a few dozen i know of that are free ( lite ) versions and commercial paid versions. ALL however that I know of are GPL. I am 99% sure thats where the rub comes in.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 8 months ago #23711

HikaShop Starter IS 100% GPL. It is written clearly on the download page: www.hikashop.com/en/download.html

The license we put on our website is only for HikaShop Business and Essential. The first line of the license agreement page clearly says that the license doesn't apply to the Starter edition:

Some of our free products, like HikaShop Starter, the CB plugin or the ReCaptcha plugin, are released under the GNU General Public License, version 2.

www.hikashop.com/en/license-agreement.html

HikaShop Essential, or Business are not on the JED since they are not GPL. However, they are not encoded.

12 years 8 months ago #23713

Makes sense. I think the commercial versions of CB et al are GPL but now we're getting far outside my realm of experience :P
I hope you get this figured out :D

12 years 8 months ago #23715

i just filed a report against Community Builder for selling CB Subs in their site (non-GPL and ioncubed), let's see what happens... i guess the same could be done for JomSocial and its plethora of addons as well, i'm sure they're not all GPL.

12 years 8 months ago #23718

N6REJ wrote:

Nicolas, I looked @ u8r license and it was NOT clear to me that it IS "GPL" . THIS will always get you kicked off JED. This has been enforced STRONGLY for a long time.
here's a excerpt from the SMF / Joomla licensing battle...

As a result of this change of direction, only GPL-licensed software can legally be distributed and used inside the Joomla! software. While we regret and are saddened by this development, we respect Joomla!'s position on their software license. As neither SMF nor the SMF bridge for Joomla! are licensed under GPL or a compatible license, we have had to cease distribution of our bridge. Please note that running the software as separate standalone pieces is perfectly fine, the issue is in the integration/bridge.

I remember this battle very clearly.

I'm not advocating either position I don't know enough bout what is going on to do so. I"m trying to reasonably speculate so that it can be resolved should u desire.

as for my encoding statement someone mentioned ion-cube encodement and I thought it applied to hika as well, glad its not... I hate closed source software on my servers.

it's all rubbish actually, the clash with SMF started because of the many zealots in the joomla elite at the time, most of them aren't in joomla anymore or have been booted out for political reasons, ironically some of the most fervent, sectarian and indoctrinated GPL supporters recently left joomla in disgust to launch their fork called "molajo" ...

and going back in time, the whole early success of Mambo started because the free alternatives like PHP-Nuke were so awful that Mambo looked so good in comparison and there was no Wordpress around.

but times are changing fast, and yet the communist zealots are still flaming rage about GPL and licences and bla bla bla.

actually the GPL licence has absolutely nothing to do with this, the diatribe was not even really about so called "derivate" products, it was as usual just all about money and power and they can't stand to see commercial devs making money on the shoulders of their half baked CMS which is now a fork of mambo and a fork of the original Jframework (now rewritten from scratch in Nooku framework, another interesting project).

and they're so envious of the success of Drupal, they're foaming from their mouth watching drupal getting backed by IBM and other VCs and earning millions for their Aquia offspring while joomla is starving and the donations are barely enough to pay full time a couple of the lead coders.

it's a mess and frankly i don't know where all this is heading.
the Nooku guys are excited about reinventing the wheel once again and adding multisite and caching, hmmm ... if that's their roadmap i can't see how it can become a game changer, what this project need to change is its vision and its commercial strategy.

12 years 8 months ago #24102

Today I informed Free Software Foundation regarding latest violations of GPL v3 by Joomla! and JED Moderators. Will post they're reply as soon it arrives.

i just filed a report against Community Builder for selling CB Subs in their site (non-GPL and ioncubed), let's see what happens... i guess the same could be done for JomSocial and its plethora of addons as well, i'm sure they're not all GPL.

Nothing, one of the CB developers is JED moderator, same as Soeren (VM, Extplorer). They're applications are non-MVC, GPL violators, but who cares. JED is made for us by us (as us I mean, selected developers), who cares about users rights or developers rights, JED ? No way, the only instance here which can react is FSF. JED GPL v3 violators supports removal of copyright links and give advices to users how to do that, wondering if someone removes the back links from they're lovely Joomla! core, how they will react.

Latest update on removal is:

Unpublished Comments From Editors
Promotes features that are not part of the GPL version.

Wondering which feature, they're not have time to run and verify every extension.

@N6REJ

As a result of this change of direction, only GPL-licensed software can legally be distributed and used inside the Joomla! software. While we regret and are saddened by this development, we respect Joomla!'s position on their software license

Does anyone there reads the damn License ? I don't think so. It's written in simple English to be understand by every level user. Even monkey will understand it, but not and Joomla! bureaucrats, what you can do, talking, talking, crap chat... that's all I can found on Joomla.org forums. As result of distorted or even reading like blind man, General Public License v3 is violated for years, this no longer will be tolerated! Every step by JED and/or Joomla! will be monitored and FSF will be informed in no time.

12 years 8 months ago #24105

Hello,
I agree that a protest is in order!

I am a strong supporter of Joomla. I think those of wanting to protest the policies of the JED are doing a service to the Joomla community. Banning some extensions for violations, while allowing other extensions to appear in the JED even though they are guilty of the same violations, will only harm Joomla's reputation. In the long-run, Joomla's reputation will be enhanced if they apply the same rules to every extension.

As it stands now, there appears to be inconsistency and perhaps even favoritism.

And as I said, the same issue seems to pop up regarding reviews. Negative reviews are removed for some extensions but not others.

I'll bet there are other extensions suffering the same fate as HikaShop. We should band together with those people and create a real petition to the Joomla hierarchy.

Thanks,
Matthew

12 years 8 months ago #24117

yeah, absolutely nothing is being done against CB ... on top of this i got another warning from moderators
in a thread i was discussing about Foobla's and RSjoomla's shady business ethics.

12 years 8 months ago #24118

dobois,
I've been happy with RSJoomla generally, although I have some small gripes about their system.

However, I agree that they are an example of an extension developer that should be removed if a strict interpretation of GPL is followed.

Thanks,
Matthew

12 years 8 months ago #24123

This thread is actually hilarious in a sad way. Here you are trying to make money on a JOOMLA REQUIRED product and your bashing and even trying to injure the very product you REQUIRE to make your money.
Talk about audacity. Reminds me of a bunch of spoiled kids cause billy got ice cream and you didn't. Well, I can vote with my feet. While Hika does provide a function I wanted, I won't support a product / company that is doing what you guys are doing. I'd love to see where you think J! is violating the GPL but I don't have time for this petty bickering. Go join majolo and support a product create by the rest of the malcontents, that oh yes, REQUIRE JOOMLA LOL... you guys totally amaze me.

Sorry I contributed to Hika now.
Goodbye.

12 years 8 months ago #24124

N6REJ,
I think you may have misunderstood a lot of this discussion. It's not at all about bashing Joomla. In fact, I stated quite clearly that I strongly support Joomla.

This is about fairness and being consistent in applying the rules. Joomla is a major CMS, and its JED is a crucial part of its success. I believe they should be treating all extensions equally. So it's more about a particular policy within the Joomla world, not about Joomla in general.

Just to make it clear: I really like Joomla and fully support it and its development.

Thanks,
Matthew

12 years 8 months ago #24125

I'm happy with both, stupid enough to follow blind wrong JED understanding about GPL and they're paid extensions are publicly available :)
Thanks to GPL v3, thanks to JED.

I was thinking about making another JED, where every extension developer can publish they're extension, no forcing of stupid licenses which support piracy and warez sites, no limitations of who how will encode and distribute they're programs. Just need to find some people with some free time like me, and to end with this shit Joomla! bureaucrats ones and forever. There was tons of crap chat on they're forum about MVC and non-mvc extensions, non-MVC should be removed already by 25, August 2006.... this means from 7,000 extensions to remain only 100 with banned such as HikaShop. Old Legacy extensions should be removed already by July 2005. Few people on JED makes dividends from this site. by false registrations and user review submissions. By pointing users to the useless, non-mvc extensions full of security holes with the Editor's pick logo. No one answers why the stupid out of date Community builder is a Editor Pick, but not and JomSocial ? Community Builder is not native 1.7 and never will be, it's a ported application from Mambo and still supports Mambo.

If you check (bcz Hika is temporary removed) Phoca Gallery reviews, u will see tons negative with rating 1 star and full of crap, but they're there with a reason. Ian Pavelka is not one of us and he don't deserve to be on the top of the category listings. Same as for jDownloads and Arno Betz.... ARTIO JoomDOC was out of JED for over 3 years, now is there and is the highest rated... how come, bcz he is one of us now, JoomDOC is separated on 2 versions, the GPL version supports 1 category with unlimited downloads, if u need rest features from 2.0.2 u have to pay a lot, so Artio can pay his fee to JED moderators.

That's the reason for existing sites like joomlaos.de , where u can download for free, not forced to registering every Joomla! extension released on this planet for every released Joomla! core, and sites like www.something.ltd full of stolen paid extensions and templates.

JED is not the only one site for making extensions available. Most of the Joomla! users don't know English, that's why exists localized local support sites, such as Joomla Germany, Italy, Bulgaria, Macedonia etc. Those users reads about the new extensions and recieves help for them from the local sites. Joomla.org is used only by maintainers of such sites to get the latest info about core releases, new/updated extensions etc. Not recommending every such site to build local JED, but just to gather some ppl and to build it from scratch and without limits, for sure will be more popular then existing JED.

12 years 8 months ago #24126

MatthewSchenker wrote:

N6REJ,
I think you may have misunderstood a lot of this discussion. It's not at all about bashing Joomla. In fact, I stated quite clearly that I strongly support Joomla.

This is about fairness and being consistent in applying the rules. Joomla is a major CMS, and its JED is a crucial part of its success. I believe they should be treating all extensions equally. So it's more about a particular policy within the Joomla world, not about Joomla in general.

Just to make it clear: I really like Joomla and fully support it and its development.

Thanks,
Matthew

This kind of discussion is why I joined in on this thread. that statement not only do I agree with I can assure you at least 90% of JBS feels the same way. I spoke up trying to HELP hika get back into JED if it desired by pointing out what things I thought MIGHT be causing the problem. As a JBS member I have no input into JED nor know its workings. I've got plenty to do just with JBS :D
its remarks like ep98 that I find offensive. Perhaps I was / am being unfair to Hika. I'll leave that for my subconscious to work out.

12 years 8 months ago #24130

@N6REJ :

Here you are trying to make money on a JOOMLA REQUIRED product and your bashing and even trying to injure the very product you REQUIRE to make your money.

The Hikari Software team never made such statement. We never bashed or injured joomla. In fact, it's the opposite ! If we decided to make an ecommerce extension for it, it's because we believe in it and respect the work everyone is making to make it move forward.
Some users on this thread have stated strong positions on the matter, but that's their point of view, not ours. Everyone is free to say what they want on our forum.

We're glad we got input from you all.

• Thank you received: 2
12 years 7 months ago #25974

Hello,

nicolas wrote:

From what I understand, we've been banned for 3 months from the JED. So we should hopefully be back in two months...
We didn't get a reply from them to our emails so far.

I think that the three months should be over by now. Do you have any news from JED?

12 years 7 months ago #25975

It's been 3 months and 3 days since we got the email from the JED. We didn't get any reply yet.

We are currently finalizing next release of HikaShop and we'll try to recontact them just after we do it.

• Thank you received: 2
12 years 7 months ago #25976

Good to hear this. I whish you all the best.

12 years 7 months ago #25981

Hikashop is one of the best designed, best built and best supported applications I've ever used (in 30+ years!) and it's commercial versions are undoubtedly the best value for money. JED are doing the user-community a great disservice by this 'ban'.

12 years 7 months ago #26007

Thank you very much for Hikashop by far the best built extension I've ever used, with fantastic support. well done!!
I know it's not a voting session but I'd gladly add my vote for Hikashop to be on the JED!

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds