Filters not showing on the frontend

• Thank you received: 4
  • Hikaauction Standard Hikamarket Multivendor Hikashop Business
6 months 1 week ago #356062

Hi,

On the store I am building, I don't need to have brands as an option, but I do need to have locations for the vendor or product.

So I've changed all the Brands language to Locations, and it works well.

However, I also need to have a search filter on the frontend that allows users to search by Location (Brand) and by category.

As you can see in this video, I've set them both up, but they're not showing up on the frontend.

How do I fix this?

Also, as soon as I add a product, there's automatically a filter at the top of the page. I only want one on the sidebar, as you can see on my site. How do I hide the one that appears at the top of the page?

Here's a video: 1drv.ms/v/s!ApCULpUUmrCAjfcC6dlf9XWpRakGKw?e=dHtS6l

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13081
6 months 1 week ago #356070

Hi,

From what I can see, the problem is with the settings of your brand filter.
Unforuantely, you didn't display the settings of the filter in your video.
Could you provide a screenshot of the settings of the filter ?

Regarding the filters appearing at the top of the products listing, you want to edit your products listing menu item via the joomla menu manager and turn off the filters display setting under the products options tab.

6 months 1 week ago #356100

Hi,

Here are screenshots of the filter setup in the component and the module settings.

Thanks!

Attachments:

6 months 1 week ago #356102

Hi,

The "category" setting below the "type" setting is for you to select where you want your filter to be displayed.
So with the brands filter, you've configured it to only appear when the current category is the main brand "location".
I would recommend leaving that setting empty.

5 months 3 weeks ago #356520

Thanks for this.

Is there any way to do a "nested" filter, where there's a main category and then a subcategory based on that?
I have several different levels, so I want to make it granular if possible.

Thanks!

5 months 3 weeks ago #356536

Hi,

A category filter can only be on one level of categories.

Note however that if you create a categories listing module with the HikaShop Content Module, via the Joomla modules manager, you can configure it to display 2 levels of categories, like the "Categories" module on our demo website:
demo.hikashop.com/index.php/en/
And when you click on a category of that module, it will display the products of that category, acting in a similar way as a filter.

Now, there are also third party extensions which supports more than two levels of categories:
extensions.joomla.org/extension/extensio...n-menu-for-hikashop/
extensions.joomla.org/extension/extensio...a-menu-for-hikashop/

5 months 3 weeks ago #356537

Hi,

Actually, I'm not trying to create a filter for product categories. It's for brands, but I've renamed brands as locations since I don't need brands, but I do need to have location-specific search abilities. So, I'm just setting up locations there.

However, I do also need not to have EVERY location in the world in one drop-down menu, so I was initially trying to create a dynamic filter of some kind that filters by country and then by state or province and then by city, but I can't quite make out how that works from your documentation.

I think a text search might work, but it seems like that returns results for EVERYTHING, and I only want it to return results for brands/locations. See video.

1drv.ms/v/s!ApCULpUUmrCAjf4aH4qM-6Dhp9bqSw?e=dGMRJ6

If I can make that specific to the locations/brands parameter only, that would work.

5 months 3 weeks ago #356539

Hi,

I think that you didn't create yet any product on your website, and the "apply on" setting will load one product randomly from the database to look at the available columns of the hikashop_product table in order to fill this setting.
However, the brand name is not in the hikashop_product table, so even if you create a product and get the list of columns in the "apply on" setting, you won't be able to have the filter work on the name of the brands. You can only select the product_manufacturer_id column in there, which contains the id of the brand linked to the product, so that won't help you.

There are three ways to go about it I think:
- instead of using brands as locations, you could use a custom field of the table "product" and of the type "single dropdown". With this, the custom field column name will be available in the "apply on" setting (you still need to create one product to be able to select the columns) and you'll be able to make it work like you want.

- you could create several product custom fields. For example, one for the country selection, one for the state selection and one for the city selection. In each custom field of the type "single dropdown", you would enter the list of possible values (like the different countries where you have locations, the different states where you have locations, and the different cities where you have locations).
Then, in each product, you would select the country, state and city in these fields.
Then, you would create three filters, one for each field, with the "dynamic display" setting turned on and the type "single dropdown".
That way, on the frontend, the customer would be able to select the country/state/city and it would filter the products based on his selection.
What that "dynamic display" setting does is that instead of taking all the possible values configured in the custom field, the filter will only display the values actually selected in the products of the current listing. So when a customer doesn't have any filter selected yet and see all the products, the city filter will contain all the possible cities. However, once the customer selects a country, the system will:
1. refresh the products listing with only the products where that country is selected
2. refresh the filters so that they display only the values selected in the products that are currently listed. So for example, the state filter will only display the states of the current country which are selected in the products of the current country.
That way, the customer can then select the state, and the same thing will happen. The system will :
1. refresh the products listing with only the products where that country is selected and where the state is selected.
2. refresh the filters so that they display only the values selected in the products that are currently listed. So the city filter will only display the cities of the current country and state which are selected in the products of the current country and current state.
And the the customer only has to select the city among the cities of the current state in order to get a listing of the products in his city.

- the third way to go about it could be to use My Maps location:
www.joomunited.com/products/my-maps-location
With it, you could associate products with locations and allow for easy searches for your customers with maps, etc.

While the first solution is way simpler to setup, it is less accurate for customers. For example, you might have the location called "Italy Texas USA" ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy,_Texas ) and the location "Roma Italy" available. And if you search for "Italy" in the search field, products with both locations will show up while you likely only want products from the country named Italy.
Also, the customer can make a typo when writing the name of what he is searching. For example, the city Villeurbanne in France ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villeurbanne ) where someone might wrongly write it vileurbanne or villeurbane or vileurbane which wouldn't yield any result.
Also, composed names would also be a problem. For example, if you search for "baton rouge" ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_Rouge,_Louisiana ) in the filter, you might get results with "baton" or "rouge" in them and not only results with "baton rouge".

With My Maps, you rely on a third party extension, but it should be the best solution for simplifying the search for your customers.

5 months 3 weeks ago #356557

I already have MyMaps, but I don't want a map search. It doesn't really work for e-commerce.

How do I create custom product fields?

5 months 3 weeks ago #356559

Hi again,

I found the custom fields page, and I set one up. Is this what you mean? Should I do one for the country, one for region, state or province and one for city?

If I can do that and then create filters based on that, that should solve the problem.

5 months 3 weeks ago #356558

Hi,

You can do so via the menu Display>Custom fields. Here is the documentation:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/4...shop-field-form.html

Indeed, as I said, you should create one field for each. One for country, one for state and one for city.

Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by nicolas.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds