9 years 6 months ago #177087

-- url of the page with the problem -- : local
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.3.4
-- Joomla version -- : 3.3.6
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.19
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : any
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : none

Hi again,

I have an unpublished product category to hide certain products from showing in frontend listing menus and modules. After solving some mystery months ago here it works fine, indeed: products in this category do not show in typical listings.

Except, I just noticed that they still do show in brand listings. I have a brand listing where, if you click on the brand name/image, the products of the respective brands show. Unfortunately also those which are in the unpublished category are listed, though.

I've even moved the unpublished category under "Root" (so it's not under "Product category" anymore), but it doesn't help.

My brand listing settings and associated module here attached. I hope I didn't overlook anything in the configuration, but since the content in the unpublished category doesn't show up elsewhere, I'm positive that all is cool at my end. And then I hope we agree that brand listings shouldn't pull from unpublished categories, either... ;)

Please help...

P.S.: Yes, the products in the unpublished category are only in this one category, not in any other one.

Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by lousyfool. Reason: P.S. added

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13083
9 years 6 months ago #177114

Hi,

The goal of a brand, like for a category is to be an entry point to access to the product page.
There is no reason to set a brand for a product that you never want to be listed on a products listing since the only goal of the brand is to be used to create a listing of brands leading to the product.
So no, I don't agree with you.
If you set a brand for a product and that you only put the product in unpublished/no used categories, it's still normal for the product to display on the brand listing.

• Thank you received: 747
9 years 6 months ago #177134

Hi Nicolas,

Hmm, that's not the response I expected. I'm somehow trying to understand your statement, but it doesn't want to sink in. Why, in a branded world, is the brand less important than other product details (description, price, images, etc)? Why then offering the brand/manufacturer 'layer' and not make it a custom field? Why does selecting a brand (of all product details) cause the product to display, even though a 'higher priority' condition should result in it not showing? Why different rules for brand listings than for (other) product listings (after all, under brands it is also a product listing module showing what should typically be hidden)?

See, it's not about using unpublished categories "for a product that you never want to be listed on a products listing", as you're assuming. If I wanted to do this, the product would never get entered in the first place, or remain itself unpublished. (Oh well, following your argument, even an unpublished product should probably be listed under its brand, if it has one selected... :cheer: )

Instead, let's look at this from a practical angle, please, instead of philosophies and assumptions: Unpublished categories are required and indispensably necessary for temporary storage of products.

Proof? Here you go, and please correct me if I'm wrong:

In HikaMarket (HM), I let vendors add products, but want to approve them before they are getting published. Because, for obvious reasons, I need to allow a vendor unpublishing a product (but not publishing it), but the ACL in HM allows only both unpublishing and publishing, I already need a workaround for product categories, can not make the regular tree of published categories accessible for vendors, but have to 'route' them to a special unpublished category when they add a product - the unpublished category I call 'stand-by' for this reason. Thankfully, this can be configured easily in HM's backend. Still, 'approval' means moving the new product to the final, published category and making sure the product itself is published, too.

Approval is not a single click only (blame Jerome? :whistle: ), now I also have to make up a workaround for brands?! I.e. use a custom field only for vendor frontend and admin backend, where vendor enters the brand, then I have to assign the 'real' brand again when approving = moving/publishing? Because HikaShop claims brand listings make only sense if all products are displayed, category unpublished or not

While the workaround via custom field is possible (and presently the only way out), of course, it causes an extra step in the process, promptly requires an extra paragraph in the client's manual (unnecessarily), obviously bears risks for errors/oversights (if nothing else, potentially leading to products not showing up in brand listings even if published), plus I can think of many more throats that your argument won't go down easily, if at all.

So... sorry, but not happy. Long story short, if my lines didn't convince you to come up with something benefitting the masses, what code do I change/amend/delete to hide products with brand not only in regular listings but also in brand listings under the condition that the product category is unpublished?

Again, both sorry and thanks... ;)

Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by lousyfool.

• Thank you received: 13083
9 years 6 months ago #177202

Hi,

Sorry but that still doesn't convince me.

The point you're raising with HikaMarket is correct but the real solution, as you point out, is not to go through unpublished categories but to have an approval system so that you can remove all your manual process and have only one click to do.
And in that case, having brands listing displaying products of unpublished categories is not a problem.
Regarding a solution on that point, I assigned this thread to Jerome so that he can comment on it. I talked to him and he said that he might have a not too complex solution which could go in the next version of HikaMarket for your issue.

I'm still interested tough to hear about other use cases regarding the display of products of unpublished categories on brands listings.
I'm sorry but I don't see a reason why it should be the case for now. And you're actually the first one that I know raising that question so I don't see how it would "benefit the masses". But I'm not per se against it if someone has a convincing argument :)

• Thank you received: 4005
9 years 6 months ago #177245

Hi,

lousyfool wrote: Approval is not a single click only (blame Jerome? :whistle: )

Yes you can blame me if you want ; the product approval feature is not yet available in HikaMarket but it's not because I do not know how to do it, it's just that I didn't have to time to do it right (like I want to do it).

If you want an approval system, the best is to not let HikaMarket creates product with a "main" product type.
Using a different product type will hide the product from almost all HikaShop listings (like for the "product templates").

So the vendor can create the product but he won't be able to edit it until the store owner valid it (by changing his product_type to "main").

I am finishing HIkaMarket 1.5.0 with the characteristic/variants edition and I wanted to make the release before the end of the month ; I'll see if I could implement a fast "product approval" system in HikaMarket ; it won't be the full feature like I imagined it (with also a approval feature for product modifications) but it could be a good start.

The trick you are currently using is an idea but I really recommend you to "play" with the product_type if you want to hide something in the HikaShop front-end.
The good thing with the HikaShop backend is that, in the product listing, if you want to display "all" (all / products / variants) it will display all : product templates (or other product_type) included.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

9 years 6 months ago #177263

@Nicolas:

With Jerome on the case and HM possibly not causing dependency on hidden categories much longer, there's one argument remaining - IMHO a big one:

In the convention of Joomla and all extensions I can think of, "publish/unpublish" is unmistakeably defined.

So, no matter what the reason or intention for unpublishing a category or whatever, if I say "unpublish", then that must rule and be true. Whatever is unpublished must not appear anywhere. It must be highest priority condition in the system, and I must be able to 100% rely on it without needing to fear that something unpublished is still showing up in some area of the website.
No other condition, such as the presence of a brand name, must be able to overrule unpublishing. If that were the case (as is now), how could I trust the system? If I must fear that unpublished content does get published somewhere still, things become unreliable and, worst case, useless.

If you see reason for a (lower priority) conditions to override unpublishing, then there must be at least a big warning that can't be overlooked ("Selecting a brand name will display the product in brand listings, no matter the publishing state of its category!") right there along with both the publishing switch and the lower priority condition.
Since that's not a very practical solution, better do not use the terms "published/unpublished" for what is indeed a different function.

However, best stick with the convention: Something being not published results in exactly that. All the time. Everywhere.

Thank you!

9 years 6 months ago #177266

@Jerome:

Thanks for jumping in!

I don't think you'd want to take this any further here in the HikaShop forum, so if you don't mind, I'll make it a thread in the HikaMarket section. See you over there! B)

9 years 6 months ago #177278

Hi,

No other condition, such as the presence of a brand name, must be able to overrule unpublishing. If that were the case (as is now), how could I trust the system? If I must fear that unpublished content does get published somewhere still, things become unreliable and, worst case, useless.

The simple fact that a product is multiple category make that the "publish/unpublish" state is read from the product, not from the category.
Otherwise, it means that we should check all categories of all products and display them when... I don't know !
But it will add two more table inclusions in SQL queries and for some queries which are already quite charged, it could become too much. We load the product categories but not when loading all products in a listing ; there are differences for the optimizations.

So there are several points which make that I totally agree with Nicolas and the "publish/unpublish" state can't be applied from the categories to the products.
We are not in the "Joomla way" because Joomla does not have a multi-category system for the articles.
And for the precision, you will have the same kind of problem with Joomla tags.

Let's continue in the HikaMarket forum for the HikaMarket part.

Jerome - Obsidev.com

9 years 6 months ago #177338

Jerome wrote: The simple fact that a product is multiple category make that the "publish/unpublish" state is read from the product, not from the category.

I appreciate you pointing this out, and I totally understand.

However, as I had already stated, the products in question are in one single category only. Which happens to be unpublished. But is in fact not. Still not happy... ;)

9 years 6 months ago #177347

Hi,

At this moment, I think you have to use a category which is not under the "product category" category.
The product listing you are using display all products under the "product category" category and HikaShop is using the product publish state in order to know if it has to display or not the product.
If you change the "root" category for the listing or you are using a "unpublish" category which is not under the "product category" ; the product won't be displayed.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

9 years 6 months ago #177382

Dear Jerome,

I really appreciate you trying here, but in my initial post here I also said

I've even moved the unpublished category under "Root" (so it's not under "Product category" anymore), but it doesn't help.

Not that it should make a difference - 'regular' product listings other than "brand" do not display products in an unpublished category, no matter where the category is located - and promptly it does not make a difference here, either. So, even with the unpublished category under "root" the products show in brand listings - not in other listings.

Not happy... :side:

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds