- Posts: 146
- Thank you received: 2
Priority Shipping USPS is only shipping option
-- HikaShop version -- : 2.3.5
<Continuation of this thread>
My USPS shipping will only provide Priority shipping. I will not give me the option of First Class, even if the backend has First Class checked as an option.
Originally, I was told it was because there were no dimensions and weights on the product, but that is no longer true. My products have dimensions and weights.
If the value goes above $45, then my promo kicks in and offers First Class for free, but a paid First Class for orders below $45 is not showing.
Am I missing a setting somewhere?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
I already tested it on your website, and it only worked for smaller and lighter products, for example if you test it with a 0.5 lb product, you should directly contact USPS about that issue, because the Hikashop USPS shipping plugin is only displaying what the USPS platform is returning.Originally, I was told it was because there were no dimensions and weights on the product, but that is no longer true. My products have dimensions and weights.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
First Class USPS is only available for packages under 13 oz (~.8lbs). IF over 13oz, then must by Priority Mail.
Are the dimensions listed on the product page supposed to be when packaged for shipping or before being put into a box for shipping?
If when packaged for shipping, how does that affect the "Container" choice on the Specific Configuration for USPS?
What I am trying to figure out is how to properly configure for Priority Flat Rate Shipping. I would like Hikashop to use Priority USPS Flat Rate Shipping when possible, but the flat rate boxes are sized (Small, Medium, Large) and I am unsure how the Container choice is affected with product dimensions.
Thanks
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Ok but the Hikashop USPS shipping plugin is sending to the USPS platform the good dimension/weight so the USPS platform is supposed to send us information about first class rates.First Class USPS is only available for packages under 13 oz (~.8lbs). IF over 13oz, then must by Priority Mail.
I didn't totally understood your questions.Are the dimensions listed on the product page supposed to be when packaged for shipping or before being put into a box for shipping?
If when packaged for shipping, how does that affect the "Container" choice on the Specific Configuration for USPS?
Setting it to "Variable" will do the job.What I am trying to figure out is how to properly configure for Priority Flat Rate Shipping. I would like Hikashop to use Priority USPS Flat Rate Shipping when possible, but the flat rate boxes are sized (Small, Medium, Large) and I am unsure how the Container choice is affected with product dimensions.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Priority USPS Flat rate is based on pre-determined box size. We would like to minimize the shipping cost charged the customer by putting as much as possible into the pre-determined box size. These boxes I am assuming are what is referred to in in the "Container" field in the shipping options (Small Flat Rate box, Medium Flat Rate Box, and Large Flat Rate Box).
The dimensions listed on the product page. Is that the actual dimensions of the product before we wrap it for shipping or after we wrap for shipping? How does the product dimensions affect the "Container" choice? Example, if I put the product dimensions as 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet, but I put the "Container" setting as Small Flat Rate box, what happens?
What does Hikashop do with the product dimensions when multiple products are in the same order? Does it add all the dimensions together? Ideally, what I am hoping for is you will tell me that based on the Product Dimensions, Hikashop can determine if a Flat Rate Box can be used. Example (dimensions are made up):
Quantity 1 Product with 2" x 2" x 1" dimensions fits in a Small Flat Rate Box
Quantity 3 Products with 2" x 2" x 1" dimensions fits in a Medium Flat Rate Box
Quantity 10 Products with 2" x 2" x 1" dimensions fits in a Large Flat Rate Box
Quantity 100 Products with 2" x 2" x 1" dimensions is calculated using a variable Container and weight
Does my question make sense now?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
On the USPS shipping plugin, the dimension won't affect the value of the "Container" because that value will be automatically set through the "Container" option of your shipping method configuration page.The dimensions listed on the product page. Is that the actual dimensions of the product before we wrap it for shipping or after we wrap for shipping? How does the product dimensions affect the "Container" choice? Example, if I put the product dimensions as 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet, but I put the "Container" setting as Small Flat Rate box, what happens?
To do that a solution can be to create 4 USPS shipping method (1 per case) with different values for the following options :Quantity 1 Product with 2" x 2" x 1" dimensions fits in a Small Flat Rate Box
Quantity 3 Products with 2" x 2" x 1" dimensions fits in a Medium Flat Rate Box
Quantity 10 Products with 2" x 2" x 1" dimensions fits in a Large Flat Rate Box
Quantity 100 Products with 2" x 2" x 1" dimensions is calculated using a variable Container and weight
- "Container"
- "Minimum/Maximum quantity" OR "Minimum/Maximum volume"
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Example, if I put the product dimensions as 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet, but I put the "Container" setting as Small Flat Rate box, what happens?
The dimensions listed on the product page. Is that the actual dimensions of the product before we wrap it for shipping or after we wrap for shipping? I am assuming given that dimension has no affect on container, then this is the dimension when wrapped to ship.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Yes, the "Container" is only a parameter that you can choose through your shipping configuration page, and that will be sent to the USPS platform.Example, if I put the product dimensions as 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet, but I put the "Container" setting as Small Flat Rate box, what happens?
There is no algorithm which will calculate which container to use.
This is the dimension which will be sent to the USPS platform.The dimensions listed on the product page. Is that the actual dimensions of the product before we wrap it for shipping or after we wrap for shipping? I am assuming given that dimension has no affect on container, then this is the dimension when wrapped to ship.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Example, if I put the product dimensions as 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet, but I put the "Container" setting as Small Flat Rate box, what happens?
What happens if there are multiple products? Are the dimensions added together? Are they considered as separate packages?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
Yes, they are both passed to the USPS platform.Container or Dimension a parameter that gets passed to the USPS platform?
Then we'll send information of the dimension : 10 x 10 x10Example, if I put the product dimensions as 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet, but I put the "Container" setting as Small Flat Rate box, what happens?
The type of container : Small Flat rate box
And then the USPS platform will return the price of available services.
Through the last version of Hikashop the USPS shipping method, Product are automatically grouped on ONE package by using a special algorithm.What happens if there are multiple products?
Are the dimensions added together?
Are they considered as separate packages?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Then we'll send information of the dimension : 10 x 10 x10
The type of container : Small Flat rate box
And then the USPS platform will return the price of available services.
If both dimension and container get passed, how does it resolve inconsistencies? In the example, a 10' x 10' x 10' container does not fit in a small flat rate box.
Through the last version of Hikashop the USPS shipping method, Product are automatically grouped on ONE package by using a special algorithm.
The algorithm is what I am trying to get more information. Not looking for specifics, but trying to set the configuration up to use the Flat Rate packages as much as possible.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
2. The algorithm is simple, you have for example 3 products, p1(10x20x30), p2(15x25x35), p3(20x30x40).
Then we'll take the sum of the minimum of each product for the width, and the maximum for the height and length :
width : 10+15+20 = 45
length : 30
height : 40
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
</quote>
When you say "sum of the minimum", do you just mean sum of the widths? If not, I am unsure I understand the statement "take the sum of the minimum of each product for the width"
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Basically, as a human being, the system tries to arrange the product as best as possible in order to fit them in a package as small as possible.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
My prior example, if I put the product dimensions as 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet, but I put the "Container" setting as Small Flat Rate box, what happens? Obvious the dimensions are too big for the Container, does the Dimension override the container?
If so, I am not sure I understand why I need to use the container field. It would seem that Dimension and weight is what drives USPS pricing.
Am I missing a core concept or am I just confused?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Posts: 12953
- Thank you received: 1778
In that case the USPS will just test if the dimensions fit on the "small flat rate" box, if not, the USPS will probably tell you that the container is too small for the container.My prior example, if I put the product dimensions as 10 feet x 10 feet x 10 feet, but I put the "Container" setting as Small Flat Rate box, what happens? Obvious the dimensions are too big for the Container, does the Dimension override the container?
Also, note that the best solution will be to directly ask it to USPS
Not totally, If you want your order dimension to be the only parameter to be taken into account, you'll have to set the "Container" option to "Variable".If so, I am not sure I understand why I need to use the container field. It would seem that Dimension and weight is what drives USPS pricing.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Not totally,
When you say Not Totally, what is not totally? Can you help me understand how Container affects the parameters?
Is it only the answer you gave below?
In that case the USPS will just test if the dimensions fit on the "small flat rate" box, if not, the USPS will probably tell you that the container is too small for the container.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
As Mohamed said if the posting format is not fixed, so can have different sizes so select "variable" else you can select a fixed dimension. If you select, for example, Small Flat Rate and the dimensions are not correct so a message will be displayed to the customer to say that there is no valid shipping for his order. Unless you add more USPS instances with different container values.
We recommend to use "Variable", this way you are sure that there will be a valid container for each orders.
If you have more questions about usps containers, please contact them directly
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.