- Posts: 17
- Thank you received: 0
Product custom fields and shipping methods
10 years 1 month ago #247278
by Saunders
Product custom fields and shipping methods was created by Saunders
-- Joomla version -- : up to date
-- PHP version -- : 5.2.5
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome
My shop has about 500 products and it is still under construction.
Many of my products contain solvents and other materials which must be treated differently for shipping purposes (i.e. some products cannot be sent overseas, some must go via courier etc). There are 6 variants for shipping, and I have created a custom field in products which shows which of the 6 'shipping categories' the product falls into. This category shows up in the front end (product page) and in the cart. So good so far.
I am confused how I now go about configuring the shipping methods to reflect the 'shipping category' of the products. For example, a Shipping Category 'D' product means that the shipping to EU countries is by Courier only. Naturally, I want it to be clear on the checkout that as this is a category D product, shipping to the EU for this product is by courier only.
I have read the shipping tutorials, but cannot find any way to configure this. Please can you advise the way forward?
-- PHP version -- : 5.2.5
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome
My shop has about 500 products and it is still under construction.
Many of my products contain solvents and other materials which must be treated differently for shipping purposes (i.e. some products cannot be sent overseas, some must go via courier etc). There are 6 variants for shipping, and I have created a custom field in products which shows which of the 6 'shipping categories' the product falls into. This category shows up in the front end (product page) and in the cart. So good so far.
I am confused how I now go about configuring the shipping methods to reflect the 'shipping category' of the products. For example, a Shipping Category 'D' product means that the shipping to EU countries is by Courier only. Naturally, I want it to be clear on the checkout that as this is a category D product, shipping to the EU for this product is by courier only.
I have read the shipping tutorials, but cannot find any way to configure this. Please can you advise the way forward?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 1 month ago #247280
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Product custom fields and shipping methods
Hi,
You'll have to use the warehouse system of HikaShop.
So in the menu System>Warehouses, you configure the different warehouses you want, one per type of product, you assign the products to the warehouses on the product edition page. Or you can also do it automatically with mass actions you can configure via the menu System>Mass actions:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/167-massaction-form.html
And then, you configure the shipping methods for each warehouse.
On the checkout, the system will group the products per warehouse and will display the shipping methods available for each group.
If one group doesn't have any shipping method available, then an appropriate message will be displayed and the customer won't be able to finish the checkout.
You'll have to use the warehouse system of HikaShop.
So in the menu System>Warehouses, you configure the different warehouses you want, one per type of product, you assign the products to the warehouses on the product edition page. Or you can also do it automatically with mass actions you can configure via the menu System>Mass actions:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/167-massaction-form.html
And then, you configure the shipping methods for each warehouse.
On the checkout, the system will group the products per warehouse and will display the shipping methods available for each group.
If one group doesn't have any shipping method available, then an appropriate message will be displayed and the customer won't be able to finish the checkout.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 1 month ago #247351
by Saunders
Replied by Saunders on topic Product custom fields and shipping methods
Thanks. This looks like it will work.
Can I just check that the cart module automatically detects your delivery address and thus presents shipping options based on where your post code is located around the world?
Can I just check that the cart module automatically detects your delivery address and thus presents shipping options based on where your post code is located around the world?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 1 month ago #247354
by nicolas
Replied by nicolas on topic Product custom fields and shipping methods
Hi,
You sure can check since the system is able to do that.
But note that it's not based on the post code, but on the state/country selected by the customer in his address. The post code won't allow you to know the country of the customer since countries have overlapping post code formats.
You sure can check since the system is able to do that.
But note that it's not based on the post code, but on the state/country selected by the customer in his address. The post code won't allow you to know the country of the customer since countries have overlapping post code formats.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #247650
by cubewebdesigns
Regards,
Bill
Replied by cubewebdesigns on topic Product custom fields and shipping methods
Greetings,
I am trying to do this same thing with a product. I have created the "Warehouse", assigned it to the Product and now I'm at the create manual shipping step. In my setup, the option to add a warehouse is greyed out. See my attached screenshot.
What have I done wrong?
Thanks,
Bill
I am trying to do this same thing with a product. I have created the "Warehouse", assigned it to the Product and now I'm at the create manual shipping step. In my setup, the option to add a warehouse is greyed out. See my attached screenshot.
What have I done wrong?
Thanks,
Bill
Regards,
Bill
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by cubewebdesigns.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 1 month ago #247654
by lousyfool
Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )
Replied by lousyfool on topic Product custom fields and shipping methods
@cubewebdesigns:
Hi,
What do you mean by "greyed out"? What happens if you click on the "edit" pencil icon?
(If you click on it but then can't select your warehouse, you should start a new thread... it wouldn't be "this same thing" then.)
Hi,
What do you mean by "greyed out"? What happens if you click on the "edit" pencil icon?
(If you click on it but then can't select your warehouse, you should start a new thread... it wouldn't be "this same thing" then.)
Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 1 month ago #247658
by cubewebdesigns
Regards,
Bill
Replied by cubewebdesigns on topic Product custom fields and shipping methods
Greetings and thanks for the rapid response...
absolutely nothing happens, the 'pencil' and 'trash can' are un-clickable, which is why I assumed they were greyed out.
Bill
absolutely nothing happens, the 'pencil' and 'trash can' are un-clickable, which is why I assumed they were greyed out.
Bill
Regards,
Bill
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 1 month ago #247663
by Jerome
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Replied by Jerome on topic Product custom fields and shipping methods
Hi,
Please change your popup system in order to use "vex".
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/3...-hikashop-2-6-1.html
Regards,
Please change your popup system in order to use "vex".
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/3...-hikashop-2-6-1.html
Regards,
Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.
Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
10 years 1 month ago #247695
by cubewebdesigns
Regards,
Bill
Replied by cubewebdesigns on topic Product custom fields and shipping methods
Thanks Jerome, that did the trick. How the heck did I miss that.... LOL
Bill
Bill
Regards,
Bill
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds