Skip to main content

US-based site having tax problems

More
15 years 2 days ago #26113 by syghefish
I have two tax-related issues that I can't seem to figure out. Firstly, tax is being calculated per item instead of per order. For example I have an order of three items which each say:

$4.50 +$0.23 of VAT

Instead of having three 4.50 items totaled up, then taxed. The differences this makes in the total tax is subtle, but still wrong. I am overcharging customers on state tax, which is illegal, so I need to fix that. Secondly, despite having clicked the "Apply Discounts Before Taxes" option, it still takes the tax percentage from the pre-discount amount. Again, because of this I am overcharging on state tax.

Any suggestions? I have HikaShop Essential. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 days ago #26114 by syghefish
I just tried checking out with the Apply Discounts After Taxes option and nothing changes. I think this option may be broken?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 days ago #26128 by nicolas
Taxes are indeed calculated before summing products prices as it is common practice in Europe AFAIK and that it is more logical for users ( some customers will refrain from buying because if they buy 5 items at €5 and they are charged €25.02 they will think that your website is not serious enough ).

If you want to calculate that differently, you can build a product quantity calculation override plugin using the explanation there:
www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...tation.html#override

For the Apply Discounts After Taxes option, I recall that there was indeed a problem with previous versions of HikaShop. Do you have the latest version ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 days ago #26144 by syghefish
I should be, I'm running 1.5.3.

I'm not terribly qualified to create my own override plugin. If it's just a matter of copying a file and changing a line or two of code, then I could handle it, but from the description you linked it seems like quite a bit of work. Do you know of anyone who has already done this that can provide a file for me to download?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 days ago #26159 by nicolas
No one has done such plugin yet.

I've made a plugin for you for that but it's not tested so it might not work. Let me know if you get errors.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 days ago #26188 by syghefish
Thanks so much! I dropped these files into plugins/hikashop, then navigated on the Joomla back end to Hikashop > System > Configuration > Plugins and it wasn't there. I also tried checking out and it doesn't seem to be implemented. Did I install incorrectly?

Thanks again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 day ago #26201 by nicolas
You need to install that plugin via the joomla installer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 day ago #26202 by syghefish
I tried that as well, but I figured it was the wrong thing to do because I got this error:

JInstaller::install: File '/home/parsonage/parsonagesoap.com/tmp/install_4e824fc86ef49/custom_quantity_weight.php' does not exist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 day ago #26210 by nicolas
Indeed, the xml was not correct. Here is a new package with the xml file corrected.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 day ago #26212 by syghefish
Great! That installed correctly, but now no taxes are being charged. Can I move this issue to email? I believe I still have the address.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 day ago #26213 by nicolas
I just saw that I mixed the packages I had. Please try with that one

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 day ago #26301 by syghefish
An error on install:

JInstaller::install: There is already a folder called '/xxx/xxx/xxx.com/plugins/system/custom_quantity_tax.php'. Please initially check whether:
• the Extension is already installed
• the file names in the XML file are spelled correctly
• there are no XML files listed inside the extension.xml file
• all of the files (not including XML files) are correctly listed in the extension.xml file and there are no duplicate entries
• there is an empty folder listed from a previous installation attempt


So I unzipped your zip file and replaced the two files in the plugins/system folder, but that didn't work. Is there something else I need to delete before I install this updated version?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 19 hours ago #26314 by nicolas
You should uninstall the plugin before installing it again. Also, make sure that you don't have the files /xxx/xxx/xxx.com/plugins/system/custom_quantity_tax* before installing it. then, you should not have the error when installing via joomla.

You say that it didn't work. What do you mean by that ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 13 hours ago - 15 years 13 hours ago #26325 by syghefish
It said the plugin was already installed, even after I deleted the files. The exact error is:

Plugin Install: Plugin "custom_quantity_tax" Already Exists!
Last edit: 15 years 13 hours ago by syghefish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 hours ago #26340 by nicolas
It's because you still have the plugin registered in the database of joomla. You need to uninstall the plugin not just remove the files.

Anyway, here is a version of the plugin which handles the install over an existing version of the plugin without uninstalling the previous version. That should solve that install problem...

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #26362 by syghefish
I emailed you with some more details about the situation. Sorry for the trouble, thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #26364 by nicolas
For everyone else, here is the latest version of that plugin which is working.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #30815 by alansunderland
Hi Nicolas,
Is this plugin for all versions - I currently have Hikashop Business and having the same issues of the taxes being slightly off.

many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #30840 by nicolas
Yes, it works for all the versions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago - 14 years 5 months ago #45475 by palmaid
I have a same problem. I dont want that the webshop round the unit tax. I'd like to round only the sum tax.

Thanks

(Sorry, I wanted to write this here: www.hikashop.com/en/forum/3-bug-report/3...lculation-error.html )
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by palmaid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum