HikaShop vs. j2 Store

• Thank you received: 35
6 years 3 months ago #285470

-- HikaShop version -- : 3.2.2
-- Joomla version -- : 3.8.3
-- PHP version -- : 7.1.12

Hi guys,
as we know some of the mains difference from HikaShop to j2 Store are:

1 - j2 Store uses the default Joomla articles as its products . It can also be integrated with other content construction kits (CCK) like Sebold K2, Zoo and SobiPro.
In HikaShop the only why is to add an HikaShop product to a joomla article . But now, we know that Hika team is working hard on new Hika API and its own REST API.
Will it means that we can expext any good news about this integration point ?

2 - The j2 Store Bookings and Reservations App is something that real missing in HikaShop.
Do you have any suggestment to optain the same result ?
Do you have any on your RoadMap ?
Do you have any suggestments on How to develop / add something similar for HikaShop ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13075
6 years 3 months ago #285472

Hi,

1. You can integrate HikaShop with most CCKs and not only Joomla articles with the www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/1...-product-insert.html system.
www.hikashop.com/support/forum/product-c...nd-zoo-yootheme.html
We're indeed working on a REST API but it's not linked to integrations with other CCKs. What a REST API will allow is for advanced integrations with mobile apps, third party software and services (accounting, ERPs, etc).

2. A booking system is indeed not something we have or we plan to have in the short/middle term.
You can have a reservation system with the integration of RSVP Pro from JEvents (for fixed date reservations and not hotel/trips bookings).
We did look at what could be done on that end a few years back but we choose to develop other things (HikaAuction, HikaSubscription) first. So we don't have an roadmap yet for that. It's something we would like to see in the long term but if someone does it before us, then even better.
HikaShop has already all the necessary triggers to be able to develop an extension which would integrate with HikaShop to support similar functions than the j2Store app and even more. It's just a big project that would require months of development but it's totally possible for any third party developer to create such extension for HikaShop.
The simplest way to do it as a custom development for your own needs would be to add custom product fields to configure the different booking settings in the products, a customization of the product page to add the calendar selection system based on these settings, and a plugin to control that what is added to the cart is valid and properly calculate the price of the product in the cart with the data entered by the customer on the product page and to store the data in a custom table in the database for the "booking inventory" of the product. Doing it like that would be possible in a few weeks for a developer.

• Thank you received: 35
6 years 3 months ago #285482

Hi Nicolas (always thanks for your detailed answers),

2 - Many Thanks, I have to investigate and test a little bit more before to reply to you. I'm too interested on it and you know I'm collaborative.

1 - Thanks for the API Rest explanation, I know that, but I also red somewhere here about a new HikaShop API. This is why I asked.
Right now what I'm looking for is How to create content. Let me explain thinking on a front-end product create/edit and with the intention to find a good solution / compromise having from you any suggestment:

- Let me say that what you suggest me is how to Display HikaShop fields into Joomla Articles (and CCKs): User should create a HikaShop product, then create the Joomla Article (and/or Seblod Article) adding HikaShop tags.

- User need to create the HikaShop (hidden) product directly during its Joomla Article / Seblod Article creation.
As you can see on the j2 Store / Seblod guide (the method do not change from the standard Joomla Article), j2 Store solve it adding a selector to each Joomla Article / Seblod Article: Do you want treat article as a product ? Selecting yes all the j2 Store product fields creation are shown to be configured in the same page. In this way, all that are related to the product are organised in one page. When filled the user save the page and the connection is yet made.
For this point I asked you about an API. Create a Joomla plugin and /or a new Seblod Field to add to Articles the "Do you want treat article as a product ?" selector is not a "problem", the problem is to be sure to add the HikaShop Product creation fields in the right and simple way (thinking also in HikaSerial, HikaSubscription and/or HikaMarket solutions).

I think that this feature will improve too much the HikaShop potential. If an "API" is not available, Please, Do you have any suggestment on How to obtain the "same result" (also with temporally hibryd solutions like a link that open a new window, adding an iFrame to the page etc.) ?

PS I sent you an email

Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by joomleb.

• Thank you received: 13075
6 years 3 months ago #285500

Hi,

1. My answer was only to say that the rpoduct tags can be used everywhere, not only on Joomla articles.
But yes, it's a simplistic system and you still need to create a the product and the entrye in Joomla/Seblod/K2/etc separately.
Doing that would be possible with the development of a plugin for seblod/K2/etc to add basically the same function than j2store is doing.
We've had that on our todo list since a while now. You don't need any specific API if you want to do that yourself. You just need to develop a plugin similar to the integration plugin j2store has for seblod/K2/etc and change all the code relative to j2store in it to the code which does the same thing for HikaShop.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds