• Thank you received: 6
7 years 9 months ago #244231

-- HikaShop version -- : 3.6.3
-- Joomla version -- : 3.5.8
-- PHP version -- : 5.4
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : all
-- Error-message(debug-mod must be tuned on) -- : n/a

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to display a variant of a product and its corresponding image/details within a product listing? For example, Zappos - a popular US online shoe store has:

Scenerio: Slipper A made by Brand A in five colors.

When you click on the product in red, you are brought to the product page and shown the detail picks and the option to select another color.

When you are in the product listing, you see all five colors listed as individual "products" - each links to the listing above with the ability to change the color/variant.

Is this possible in Hikashop (please say yes).

Best,

Dawn

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by artisanwebandprint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
7 years 9 months ago #244276

Hi,

There is no option to do that.
You can have variants with the dropdown/image selection on the product page but you'll only have one main product listed on the products listing.
Or you can also have different products, one for each color.

Now, it's possible to cheat and do something like that but it will be more complex to handle:
- turn on the force canonical URL on listings setting.
- create your main product with the different colors as variants of the product
- create additional products, one per color, and in the canonical URL of these products, enter the URL of the variant of your main product corresponding to the color of the product (you can get it from the checkout cart when you add the main product with that color selected to the cart).
That way, the different color products will show on the listings, and will redirect to that same product with the corresponding variant preselected and you'll still have the variants selector available.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PolishedGeek, alin

• Thank you received: 6
7 years 9 months ago #244801

Hello,

Thank you for the idea! This is working as a "cheat" however there are two concerns:

1. I was planning to have the "add to basket" feature right on the products listing. I'm guessing this is not possible if we want to do this as the quantity for both won't update since they are not linked.

2. I want the variant to be pre-selected within the main product that I'm linking to with the canonical URL from the "fake product". Right now, there is no URL differential for each variant so I only have the option to link to the main product URL which then serves me the default variant for that product. This doesn't make much sense for a user. For this idea to work seamlessly, I would need a unique URL for each variant that I could link to from the "second clone product". This way when I click on the product in the listing, it will go to the "main product" and the correct variant would be selected.

Here's the screenshot:
Products Listing - Clone Product

Main Product Page - Wrong Variant Selected

I appreciate your assistance.

Best,

Dawn

7 years 9 months ago #244805

Hi,

1. That's right.
It would require a custom product field where you would enter the id of the variant and the customization of the "add_to_cart_listing" view file to use the value of the custom field instead of the id of the product.

2. There is a unique URL for each variant. That's what I was talking in my previous message:

enter the URL of the variant of your main product corresponding to the color of the product (you can get it from the checkout cart when you add the main product with that color selected to the cart).
That way, the different color products will show on the listings, and will redirect to that same product with the corresponding variant preselected and you'll still have the variants selector available.

• Thank you received: 92
7 years 9 months ago #244839

HI
whe nwrite id does it mean cid ?

1) study demo product/variant
for a main product if we study the html code attach to one variant that has one characteristique and 2 values ( 7 and 8 "id")
--backend editor : from the tab we can discover the value and so the url

<tr class="row1" id="hikashop_product_variant_line_7">
      <!--style="cursor:pointer" onclick="return window.productMgr.editVariant(7);">-->

-frontend viewer ( browser) : after seelcted this variant in the checkout card
<tr class="row0">
	<td class="hikashop_cart_module_product_name_value hikashop_cart_value">
	 <a href="/index.php/en/buyproduc/product/7-">		
        <a href="index.php?option=com_hikashop&amp;ctrl=product&amp;task=show&amp;cid=7&amp;name=&amp;Itemid=473&amp;lang=en">
buyproduct is the menuname link in FE
7 is the value id ( cid) of the variant for this product
473 is the value for hikashop default menu
...so best is to look at html source code instead have a go to the Frontend hikashop module cart !!

2 ) Can i have more information about this 473 value ,
---howto create generate delete it ?
---it seem it appear imlplicitly after create a explicit other menu or sub menu !!
---option parameter are categorylisting => index.php?option=com_hikashop&view=category&layout=listing

3 ) With the informations here about this variant (cid=7) and main product (id=6) ,
-what is the value of the canonical url for the variant create as main product ?
-what kind of information i need to write in the variant product ? or another it to ask/write this : how must differ the parameters beetween the main product ( of this variant ) and a product that use the parameters of the main product and variant attach to this product ?
-Does enter value in the name and canonical url is efficient to resolve the issue ? no others parameters, value to change in varaint product page ?

NB This post is interesting to read because give more information about how hikashop manage automatic creation of canonical url ( routing) ...but use friendly SEO url so not usefull if we want to no the routing syntax !

4 ) name of field for product
what should be ( or not) the name of the product id field for manage the variant ( main product) ?
Does the name of the characteristic can be use ( not already us in hikashop table ?)
what is the best setting to do that ? ...some recommandation about type field ?

5 ) turn on the force canonical URL on listings setting in hikashop configuration SEO ?
see this post and this post about context settings .

6) about the first capture
I see i nthe cleft column that there is many way to filter the product . Does it mean we create for each item a characteristic field !!! Enter each product manually should be really a long work . Is there a way to use excel and import value ( image link , text value ...) using mass action ? after webdesigner , webmaster , integrator , fullstack dev , front end dev , SEO , there must be a ETL/data manager job !!!

regard's

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by lionel75.

• Thank you received: 94
7 years 8 months ago #247668

nicolas wrote:
2. There is a unique URL for each variant. That's what I was talking in my previous message:
enter the URL of the variant of your main product corresponding to the color of the product (you can get it from the checkout cart when you add the main product with that color selected to the cart).

I've been looking for a way to find these individual variant URLs to use in a marketing email. I noticed this comment, but on multiple HikaShop sites we manage, when a variant is added to the cart, the linked URL is just the canonical main product URL, NOT a direct link to the variant. Are there some settings we should try switching to reveal the variant URLs? Just need to grab some of them for a marketing newsletter.

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

Polished Geek: more with monday․com
eCommerce Business Process Automation Experts

7 years 8 months ago #247673

Hi,

Well, it's basically the same URL than the product page URL, but with the id of the product replaced by the id of the variant. And if you don't have the id of the product in the URL, just add it before the alias of the product with a dash separating them.

The URL on the cart is indeed the canonical URL if you have the "force canonical URLs on listing" setting activated and that you provided canonical URLs in your product. Remove temporarily the canonical URL from the product, or turn off that setting temporarily if you want to reveal the variant URL in the cart.
But since you know what you're doing, you should have no problem changing the URLs based on the product page URLs you already have on your website without having to resort to changing the settings temporarily.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PolishedGeek

• Thank you received: 13
7 years 5 months ago #254840

I have done this on a site that is under development and all works fine as far as the listing is concerned.
www.halare-test.co.uk/shop/dresses - products SILK AND JERSEY TULIP DRESS

But the problem is that when you go to the product page via the dummy product, then the selection of other colours do not work. They work fine on the master product but not on the dummy product.

7 years 5 months ago #254842

Hi,

It works fine on a test server on our end. So all I can think is that it is somewhat related to some customization of the product page on your website.
Try renaming the folder templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/html/com_hikashop/product/ temporarily and see if that works properly that way.

• Thank you received: 3
5 years 11 months ago #292428

Would love to see display Variants as Individual Products and I am sure it would be very useful for many people.
We were looking at using Hikashop as a product order webapp but decided against it because for people placing their orders, if they have to go into each product to select the variant it would take too long (too many clicks). We tried setting up product listing table menu but if the product had a variant there was always the button "Choose Options". So even if it is too complicated to list variants as "single products", which was the original topic of the this thread, it would be great to be able to select the variant from the product layout listing and add to the cart/order without having to click into the product select the variant then use the back button to get back to the product layout listing again.

Perhaps we had missed something so comments welcome!

• Thank you received: 13
5 years 11 months ago #292432

Hi James

It is possible to do what you are asking, as I have done on this site: www.haruka.co.uk/shop

There is a little work involved, but it works well IMO. It is a little easier for the site that you see, as the data is injected from their stock database which I worked on and wrote the routines to manage HikasShop.

The area to understand is the 'Canonical URL'. If you populate this, then this is what HikasHop will use as the address for your variant. So to use this:
1) you set up your main product as normal, with all the variants.
2) select one of the colours as the primary (default) variant.
3) create one product for every other colour that the product has (you only need the main image on these)
4) set the Canonical URL for these additional products to be the URL for the master product, adding them to the same categories

example: you have a shirt that comes in blue, green and white in sizes of S, M, L
Your main product will have 9 variants (blue S, blue M, blue L, green S, green M, green L, white S, white M, white L)
You select blue M as your default, and your product has the URL mydomain.com/shop/nice-shirt.
You create 2 additional product records (with only one image) which are nice-shirt-green (S, M, L) and nice-shirt-white (S, M, L). In the Canonical URL for both of these you put shop/nice-shirt.
and voila ... you should now have three products showing and all going to the main product when clicked.

There was an additional modification to make the product clicked to display instead of the default item, but I can not remember it off the top of my head. See if you can get on with the above and let me know if you want me to look up that bit of information.

You can also kill off the 'Choose Options' and select from the main page if you wish, by editing the product listing views (you will need a basic understanding of PHP). This is accessible from with Hikashop under 'Displays/Views'.

Good luck

The following user(s) said Thank You: nicolas, jameswadsworth

5 years 11 months ago #292430

Hi,

Being able to select the variant directly on the products listing is something we're looking at for a future improvement.
In order to do that, we first want to redo/expend the characteristic selection system on the product page in order to support AJAX (instead of javascript replacing with all the content already on the page). Then, we can base the charactersistic/variant selection on the listings on that AJAX system.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jameswadsworth

5 years 11 months ago #292462

Hi Esotechie,

thank you for your explanation. All is clear. However that is quite a lot of additional configuration if you have a few hundred products plus the different variants.

We will test you configuration and let you know how we get on.

Kind regards, James

5 years 11 months ago #292463

Hi Nicolas,

selecting the variant directly on the product listing would make a fantastic product that so much better. I am sure lots of people would be interested in this functionality because it would make the creation of large orders so much easier and seriously reduce the amounts of clicks required.

We look forward to this improvement hopefully not too far in the future!!

Thanks,

5 years 5 months ago #300779

Just wondered if there was any update on being able put an add to cart button when viewing products with varients in a category listing?

Thanks

• Thank you received: 4004
5 years 5 months ago #300803

Hello,

There is no update on that part.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds