Zones incorrect for Malta

• Thank you received: 1
12 years 2 months ago #39110

Hi, For Malta, the States are not technically correct. Villages and Towns have been used as States. There are two Islands:
Malta and Gozo. Country is Malta, but Gozo is a Region - also important as there are a few town names in each island which are identical. e.g. Rabat, Malta and Rabat Gozo, Mgarr Malta, Mgarr Gozo, Zebbug, Malta, Zebbug, Gozo

So, either the States need to be reduced simply to:
Malta
Gozo

Or

The Gozo town names are suffixed as follows:

Gharb, Gozo
San Lawrenz, Gozo
Ghasri, Gozo
Zebbug, Gozo
Marsalforn, Gozo
Victoria, Gozo (also known as Rabat, Gozo)
Fontana, Gozo
Xaghra, Gozo
Nadur, Gozo
Qala, Gozo
Ghajnsielem, Gozo
Mgarr, Gozo
Sannat, Gozo
Munxar,Gozo
Xlendi, Gozo

I think that's all the entries. The ones in bold are the biggest issue as they are towns in both islands.

However, surely it would be simpler to have 3 tables: Countries, States, Cities, linked with country code and country-state codes respectively? then the states for Malta can simply be: Malta and Gozo

Also, some names with incorrect spelling:

Gaxaq - should be Ghaxaq
Xagra - should be Xaghra
Melliea - should be Mellieha
Xgajra - should be Xghajra

These would need to be changed in the product. Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 2 months ago #39206

Hi,

I think that the malta "states" are based on the local councils list:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_councils_of_Malta

The real question is:
Is that useful to anyone ?
Can the taxes vary based on the council of the buyer ?
Can the shipping vary based on the council of the buyer ?
Is the council useful in malta addresses or not (if the city field is fine to define the location of someone, then it wouldn't be necessary) ?

If the answer to all three questions is no, then we would indeed remove all the states of malta and maybe only have the two islands as "states" or nothing like it's the case for other "small" countries.

Let me know what you think.

(in any case, you can change the zones to what you need them to be via the menu System->Zones).

• Thank you received: 1
12 years 2 months ago #39207

Hi Nicolas,
Each council in Malta and Gozo is essentially representing a Town or Village. There are no Council taxes in Malta. So essentially the answer is No to all 3 points. The primary issue is GOZO, which is a separate Island, which 'Could' affect shipping costs, not in my clients case, but certainly for others, particularly abroad. So on that basis, I suggest you use GOZO and MALTA as the States.

Ideally, someone would either select a Blank State (i.e. their address is in Malta), or Select GOZO (their address is in Gozo) as this better reflects the real situation, otherwise 'Malta' gets repeated twice in an address. Is this possible? It would need to be optional.

Have you thought of implementing Cities as being selectable in future? Or is the intention to let people type these into a text field on registration (as currently)?

I know I can change the zones myself for now, but these would get wiped with upgrades, etc, so the changes would need to be implemented in the product as standard.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 2 months ago #39208

Indeed, if we put malta and gozo as states, malta would appear twice in the address, once for the country and once for the state.
Having a blank state is possible. It's a bit strange for the customers but I don't see a problem with that.
Not having that selection would be just a matter of unpublishing the zone, so not really a problem.
I think that we're gonna go with that.

You can unpublish the current states and create new states for what you need.
As long as you don't delete the states, they won't be inserted back during the update and the update doesn't remove any state. So you can do this and update without any problems.

The following user(s) said Thank You: paced

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds