Description disappears when updating variants

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 2 months ago #38163

I have run into a problem whenever variants are use and updated for a product.
I think I have narrowed it down to a series of steps, but am unsure if this is a feature or a bug (possibly introduced in 1.5.6).

Steps followed:
New product created with description
Assign 1 set of characteristics (3 choices)
Variants generated automatically - product still shows description in front end properly but since no customization has been done to the variants, my different pricing does not show.
Modify one variant via "Manage Variants" to assign a price to variant (no other change).
Revisit product.
Product description disappears for that variant selection.
Only variant description will show if one is entered for that variant.
I believe I upgraded from 1.5.3 before 1.5.6 and it did not do this in that version.

Is it now required to enter a description in every variant so that something shows in the product page?
Can it not be set to default to show the general product description and additionally show the variant description if one is entered?

Thank you,
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13075
12 years 2 months ago #38271

That's indeed how it should behave.
We don't have that problem on our end with the latest version.

Did you modify some of the view files of the view "product" via the menu Display->Views ?
That might explain why you have such problem: there were modifications to these view files in recent versions of HikaShop and because you made the modifications on an old version of the files, you didn't get the new changes.

If that's not the case, then, could you provide a link to that page so that we can see the problem ?

12 years 2 months ago #38449

Just to be sure I understand:

Can you please confirm which is the correct (designed) behavior for this?

__ 1. Only variant specific descriptions will appear for a product once variants have been saved.

__ 2. The main product description should appear in addition to any description entered for a variant of a product.

Thank you

12 years 2 months ago #38630

It's number 1.

12 years 2 months ago #38639

Thanks for the clarification.

Is there a way I can modify the product/show view so that it will display both?
I tried, but I couldn't find which attribute of the view or variant would let me access the main description.

Thanks

12 years 2 months ago #38768

Yes. If you use the latest version, it's actually the file "show_default" that you should edit and change the code:

<div id="hikashop_product_description_main" class="hikashop_product_description_main">
		<?php
		echo JHTML::_('content.prepare',preg_replace('#<hr *id="system-readmore" */>#i','',$this->element->product_description));
		?>
	</div>

by:
<?php
		echo JHTML::_('content.prepare',preg_replace('#<hr *id="system-readmore" */>#i','',$this->element->product_description));
		?>
	<div id="hikashop_product_description_main" class="hikashop_product_description_main">

</div>

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds