Connection reset errors

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 1 month ago #42084

Hi there, today I thought I'd try out Hikashop because of all the good reviews :)
Unfortunately there are some issues after a clean install, all giving connection reset errors:

Administration interface:
- no flyout menus from components > hikashop
- components > hikashop > configuration
- components > hikashop > categories > new

Frontend:
- link to product list

Clean Joomla 2.5.2 installation, no other components installed
Hikashop starter 1.5.6 (6 march 2012)

Apache/2.2.22 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.3.10 with Suhosin-Patch DAV/2

PHP error set to E_ALL, but nothing displays except "The connection to the server was reset"

Tested with IE8, IE9, Firefox 10.0.2, Opera 11.61, Safari 5.1.2

Hope you can help...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #42123

Some additional information:

Tried on Vista and XP, both with network cable and wireless connection, also with Chrome 17.0.963.56 m.
Same result: "Connection reset" on the above mentioned.

I suspected session save path issues, but that is set to standard /tmp and writeable.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 1 month ago #42210

I've never heard of such errors with HikaShop.
Could you give a link to your website so that we can see the problem ?

12 years 1 month ago #42250

?You heard of this problem from me ;)
Unfortunately the server is not live, this is a development server in my home, so I cannot give you access to it at the moment.

The problem is as described above: a totally clean installation of Joomla 2.5.2 with only the latest Hikashop starter.
I have replicated the same same problem on 3 new clean installations now.
If you need more information on my setup I can provide whatever you need (Joomla, PHP, etc. settings)

However, I also discovered some serious issues during testing, probably all to do with the way Hikashop handels itemIDs...
Issues related to this can be found throughout the forum, as itemIDs affect all of the following:
- Component
- Modules
- Template
- Access Control (ACL)
- sef URL

Missing itemIDs means Joomla starts guessing for it. This is serious and needs to be looked into, because it messes up a site completely.
Example:
After completely uninstalling EVERYTHING from Hikashop (component, modules, plugins), the way Hikashop has "hijacked" itemIDs remains visible with standard Joomla SEF urls (remember this is after uninstalling everthing):
{root}/index.php/hikashop/home-start/joomla/hikashop/joomla-tips

In other words: ALL exisiting URLs on the site (not related to Hikashop) now permanently have hikashop inserted somewhere. BAD...
So I hope this gets fixed, because the product looks very good otherwise.

Thank you in advance for your attention and help.

Thanks in advance.

12 years 1 month ago #42406

Without looking directly to the website, we won't be able to help much with your first problem.

Regarding your second problem with itemids, if you're missing them, it can happen when you create hikashop content modules without specifying a menu in the "menu" option of the module. In that case, the itemid will be missing and URLs won't work properly on Joomla 1.6 or greater with SEF turned on. But if you configure that properly, it will work.

Regarding, menus after you uninstall HikaShop, of course, you should not use anymore the menus created for HikaShop once you deleted HikaShop. HikaShop does not hijack anything in Joomla. If you have HikaShop mentioned in the URLs, it's probably that you're still using menus made for HikaShop.

12 years 1 month ago #42446

That's a pity, because there would be nothing to see there anyway apart from what I see :-)
This is a very clean install of latest Joomla with latest Hikashop.
Everything else works fine inside Joomla, apart from the issues with server connection rest in the few menus.

Regarding the url issue: I did not create modules from Hikashop, just one menu link to products.
The menus with the hikashop insertion were not Hikashop menus, but existing before the Hikashop installation.
What I meant was this: if MENU ItemIDs are missing somewhere in the code (not specifically added), then Joomla starts guessing leading to the sef urls as mentioned.
BTW, I wrote "hijacked" in quotes, meaning it was not a serious accusation or something... :)

PS
After uninstalling all Hikashop parts there remain a lot of Hikashop tables. Maybe a good idea to remove these with component uninstall?

I will do some more testing on other Joomla 1.7 and 1.5 sites and with different settings to see if I can find out more.
I hope to see a solution, like I said, as Hikashop looks very good and promising.

Can you let me know if a clean install on the latest Joomla version renders anything strange for you?

12 years 1 month ago #42604

Hi Nicolas, good news, connection reset problems described above solved!

After trying everything I could think of without good results, today I installed the newest versions of Perl, Apache and PHP on my FreeBSD server, restarted Apache...and presto, all menus are now working perfectly in Hikashop and the problems described above with connection resets disappeared.

As it can maybe help others with FreeBSD servers, below the version numbers:

Problems with connection reset on config & new category:
FreeBSD 8.1
Apache 2.2.22_4
Perl 5.10.1_7
PHP 5.3.10_0.9

Problems solved with:
FreeBSD 8.1
Apache 2.2.22_5
Perl 5.12.4_4
PHP 5.3.10_1

I still don't understand why the 3 menus in Hikashop were specifically affected, but I'm glad it is solved.
Looking forward to working with Hikashop. Thanks for your hard work and compliments on the quality of your code!

Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by rob2701.

12 years 1 month ago #42748

That's great !

PS: You should never ever remove the tables of the components your build for joomla in the uninstall script. Imagine if a user uninstall the component in order to install the new version (yes you don't need to but not everyone knows that) and then all his orders, products, etc are all removed... The user will certainly not be happy. Keeping the tables in the database doesn't damage anything, and if you want to can always remove them manually via phpmyadmin.

12 years 1 month ago #42753

Thanks for your time. Looks like the whole problem was caused by a bug in the PHP version, not by Hikashop.
And yes, you are right about the tables B)

11 years 11 months ago #49388

Hi there,

I'm sorry to say that the problem seems to be back...
Tried today on a clean install of Joomla, connection reset error is back, this time ONLY when trying to access Hikashop configuration page. All other menu options work fine.

com_hikashop_starter_1.5.7_2012-05-06.zip

PHP Built On FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Database Version MySQL 5.5.23-log
Database Collation utf8_general_ci
PHP Version 5.3.11
Web Server Apache/2.2.22 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.3.11 with Suhosin-Patch DAV/2
WebServer to PHP Interface apache2handler
Joomla! Version Joomla! 2.5.4 Stable [ Ember ] 2-April-2012 14:00 GMT
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0

Same with Chrome, Opera, Safari, IE9, IE8

The only thing I have different from a standard setup is Apache virtual host.
Could this be something related to the way Hikashop uses session cookies?
So far Hikashop is the only component which shows these problems, all others work fine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by rob2701.

11 years 11 months ago #49430

Hi,

HikaShop doesn't do anything with the cookies and not much with the session. I doubt that it comes from that.
The configuration page of HikaShop is quite big. It could from a resource restriction of the hosting.
For example, since you use suhosin, it is limited to 200 variables in the POST by default. However, there are more than 200 options in the configuration. So it won't save the configuration unless that suhosin.post.max_vars option is set to 500.

11 years 11 months ago #49447

Thanks for your reply. I have set (in php.ini):

suhosin.post.max_vars=5000
suhosin.request.max_vars=5000

and restarted apache. No change, still "connection reset error" when I try to access Configuration or create a new Category.

I even took it up to vars=10000 but no luck, same result.
Do yo have any ideas?

11 years 11 months ago #49502

I didn't say that it was this option specifically which was causing that problem, but that this option can cause problems when saving the configuration.

Regarding your specific case, I don't know what it could, but I suppose that it's something specific to your server.

11 years 11 months ago #49520

Okay, thanks. Still wondering why the opening of _only_ these two particular menu pages gives the errors.
If I find out what the reason is I will post it here, and I will also try on a a local xampp installation.

11 years 11 months ago #49816

SOLVED, but still do not understand why :-)

Local XAMPP (PHP 5.3.8) = all working perfectly

My server php.ini all reset to default >> still the same problems

After reshuffling the loading of the PHP extensions in alphabetical order (in extensions.ini on FreeBSD) and restarting Apache >> everything working perfectly in Hikashop.

I'm happy, although I still do not understand why the random loading order of php extensions (they were not arranged in order originally on my server) would produce the connection reset errors. But this seems to have resolved it.
Also happy to let you know that teh errors were not Hikashop related.

Thanks again for your help so far, and keep up the good work.

11 years 11 months ago #49913

Thank you for your feedback !

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds