Scottish Addresses - "State"

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 3 days ago #49165

Hi. I've set up a small shop selling club merchandise to members mostly all in Scotland. Unfortunately the drop down list when registering customer address does not contain all the right counties. In reality the Post Office only use the postcode and the rest is obsolete - but customers are keen to have their address "right".

Is it possible to fix or is there a text work-around so they just type in that field ?

Thanks

Gene.

Last edit: 12 years 3 days ago by genem. Reason: Speelling mistooks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13083
12 years 2 days ago #49260

Hi,

You can :
1. Configure the zones the way you want via the menu System->Zones.
2. Change that field via the menu Display>Custom fields and transform it into an input box. However, note that it might be a problem for PayPal with the USA. Because they want a standardized state. So you would have to create another custom field instead, unpublish that one, and change the "address_template" files via the menu Display->Views.

The following user(s) said Thank You: genem

11 years 11 months ago #49737

Thanks Nicolas. That has worked very well. I unpublished "Address-State" and created "Address-County" as a user input text field. I then re-arranged the order of the fields to better suit the UK style of writing an address.

...advance warning... With luck we will need "Scotland" as a Country after the referendum in 2014 !

Cheers,

Gene.

11 years 11 months ago #51308

I think this will help and satisfy all the needs of PayPal too!

A client of mine wanted to have this fixed so I created a pair of CSV files that you can import into the database from phpMyAdmin. They are attached.

The file STATES.csv should be imported to #__hikashop_zones and the file X_REF.csv should be imported to #__hikashop_zone_link when all the missing postal areas will now be included.

This is not guaranteed to work for ever because I have installed it on release 1.5.7 and used the numbers higher than indexed so far, which may conflict with later releases. Maybe the good people here will include the data in subsequent releases for their British users?

Kind regards,
Alex Barrett
Wick IT Services

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by wickitservices.

11 years 11 months ago #51361

I don't know much about the entity divisions from UK. I know that scotland is part of the UK.
We had a use providing a list of the UK counties a year ago:
www.hikashop.com/forum/3-bug-report/1279...t.html?lang=fr#12850
So we changed the list of the counties to that.
7Could you explain what is that list ?
Does it means that only great britain states are in the states of the UK at the moment ?

11 years 11 months ago #51388

nicolas wrote: I don't know much about the entity divisions from UK. I know that scotland is part of the UK.
We had a use providing a list of the UK counties a year ago:
www.hikashop.com/forum/3-bug-report/1279...t.html?lang=fr#12850
So we changed the list of the counties to that.
7Could you explain what is that list ?
Does it means that only great britain states are in the states of the UK at the moment ?

Hi Nicolas,
I am not surprised you are confused by British counties. There have been many different systems of naming and border changes over recent years due to politics. The list above includes the historical "Postal Counties" that British people are familiar with and use even though they may not be official. Together with the list already included (which is political constituencies) it gives a more complete list.

Technically at present the UK is country with the following states England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. The long list is just local regions/counties.

However, I recommend you integrate it together with your current list as it provides users with what they expect to see and makes absolutely no difference to the postal delivery services who ignore the information and just use street and postal code.

Britain is a very confusing place...
Alex

Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by wickitservices. Reason: clarification

11 years 11 months ago #51422

Hi,

Thank you for the information.

Then, we'll add that to the next release.

11 years 11 months ago #51426

I'm glad to be of a little help on this excellent addition to Joomla.
Alex

• Thank you received: 12
11 years 11 months ago #51646

wickitservices wrote:

nicolas wrote: Technically at present the UK is country with the following states England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man.
Alex

Actually the Channel Islands nor the Isle of Man are part of the United Kingdom. They are part of the British Isles and have their own legislature.

But you were correct to say this is confusing :-)

Tony

11 years 11 months ago #51647

Of course, you are quite correct Tony ;) they are "protectorates" like Ascension Island and the Falklands etcetera. But for postal purposes the Royal Mail charges as though they are part of the UK.

I think the British purposely want to confuse everybody else...

"Put the rough dough in the trough!" - for all you non-English speakers

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds