Configure tax in Quebec and Canada

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 2 weeks ago #48934

I really managed to screw things up.

No matter what I do, the tax is not showing up.

Here's what I have currently after trying to get some indication that the tax is applied:
- under System/Configuration: Main tax zone: 38 Canada (this should be Ontario really).
- under Tax category: Default tax category (no sub-categories)
- under Tax rates I have the following
Zone Tax category Rate
Canada Default tax category ON HST (13%)

(for the above I assume is the main tax zone is Ontario, the tax rate zone should also be Ontario)
This rate never showed up regardless of selecting Cumulative tax or not and yes, it is published.

What am I missing or doing wrong? Is there some other place where I have to change the configuration to make HS pickup the correct tax?

Thanks for your help.

D.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13096
12 years 2 weeks ago #48989

Can you do a screenshot of the listing in menu System->Tax ? Normally, you should have there your tax rules which link the tax rates, the tax categories and the zones together.

12 years 1 week ago #49045

Here you go.

Switching between Cumulative tax: No - Yes, did not make a difference.

I'm sure HS is fine, it's just me screwing up.

Thanks for looking into this.

Attachments:

12 years 1 week ago #49129

That is fine. It should display a 13% tax on product prices on your front end for users not logged in or with their address in Canada if the "prices with tax" in the Display tab of the configuration and the same option in your products listings menus/modules (via the menus Display->Content menus/modules) are turned on.

The cumulative option won't change anything with your configuration. You have only one tax rule published so there is no need to cumulate the tax rates.

12 years 1 week ago #49163

As far as I can tell, everything look like it should.

See attached, maybe I'm missing something.

Screenshot are for Display/Content Menus, Display/Content Modules and Zones (Canada).

Thanks

12 years 1 week ago #49254

Ok that is fine too.
Did you select " Default tax category" in the tax category option of your products ?
Do you see the taxes being applied to the prices on the back end when you edit a product ?
Could you give a link to your shop so that we can look at that ?

12 years 1 week ago #49259

Nicolas, you are the best. The site is under development, I only had one product to play with and guess what... there was no Tax Category selected.

I think I know what happened. When I was experimenting, I created a tax category, later when I created the product, I assigned that category to it. I think the problem stared when I deleted the test category and the product might have defaulted to None.
I have no evidence to support this but letter today or this weekend I'll try to repeat the steps above and see what happens with the tax category. I'll let you know.

Looking at the FAQs for taxes ( Tax Rules FAQs ), product tax category selection is the last thing suggested. I guess I didn't clue in on that.

Thanks again for your help with this.

12 years 1 week ago #49268

Yeap, that's what happened. If a product is assigned a tax category which is latter delete, the Tax Category for the product defaults to None.

Now I know.

Learn something new every day.

• Thank you received: 4
11 years 6 months ago #72784

Thanks to the other HikaShop users in Canada for sorting out this taxation stuff. I too am just starting to set up a retail website and the forum has been very useful.

Just one note about out-of-province PST which may make things simpler with HikaShop: when shipping to another province that has separate GST/PST, you are generally not required to charge the PST, provided you do not have an "active business presence" (which means representatives or physical advertising in that province). For shipments to PEI and Saskatchewan, you have the option of registering and remitting PST as a convenience to the customer, otherwise the recipient is responsible for dealing with the taxman.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not a tax expert, but this is my current understanding of the situation. Please check if you're not sure.

11 years 6 months ago #73118

Thank you for your feedback !

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds