Changing 'Free' text when item has no price

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 1 month ago #9685

I just though I'd share a handy hint. Aside from being able to change the text displayed from 'free' to anything you like, I've just changed mine to

<a href="mailto:email@yoursite.com?subject=Price Enquiry">Email us for pricing</a>

so that a visitor can easily email us if we do not have a price available.

Now I'm curious whether you could insert a script to include the product they clicked from to the subject?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
13 years 1 month ago #9691

Actually, there is the option "Display a contact button on the product page" in the config to activate a contact form which will send you the name of the product in the email received. You can activate it only fo some products regardless of the price of th product or for all the products. It is also compatible with our recaptcha plugin to avoid spam.
This option is only available in our commercial editions.

13 years 1 month ago #9693

Ahh, I see that is from 1.4.5 onwards and I haven't yet updated our business version site from 1.4.4.

13 years 1 month ago #9699

Hmm, this is where I suspect the tweaks are going to start to become a problem...

I assume the code for displaying the contact button is in the product/show view but because we have modified it to include extra bits, our product/show file remains at ver 1.4.3.

Now obviously the responsibility falls back onto me to maintain the site if I wish to make customisations, but do you have anything in mind such as publishing code changes for each revision? Also I was going to read through the change list that is display prior to update but after updating but couldn't find it, is it published anywhere?

13 years 1 month ago #9717

Indeed, you won't have that button if you edited the file show of the view product. You can however quite easily copy the contact code from the new view to your modified view or copy your modifications to the new view.
There is no list of modifications for each version. We just have a change log:
www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...ashop-changelog.html

12 years 3 weeks ago #45519

Thanks for this - another handy tip!

It's pretty helpful to use a language override to change the default "free" text, so I'll post the steps here in case anyone needs the info.

Back end admin / Extensions / Language Manager / Overrides / New
Set the search box to "constant" and search for "free".
Click on "FREE_PRICE", and then change the text to whatever you like and hit save.
Reload your page in the front end and all should be well.

Quick and clean method of editing certain elements of plugins, components etc. and as it also keeps your original files intact the changes won't be lost during an upgrade.

ps - I'm using Joomla 2.5 so I'm not sure if this will work in earlier versions.

Ramble over and thanks again :)

12 years 3 weeks ago #45620

For all the versions of HikaShop, you can also do language overrides like that:
www.hikashop.com/en/download/languages.html#modify

9 years 10 months ago #159308

This is all great information as it applies specifically to what I need to do. However Nicolas did not identify the specific commercial version that has the feature. I need for all my products to not have prices and to simply have ability to request a quote. It looks like the discussion you had here will handle that. That specific feature is not listed in the product comparisons on the hikashop website. So if you could tell which version to purchase that would be great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 years 10 months ago #159331

Hi,

When we say that a feature is available in our commercial editions, it means that both the Essential and the Business edition have it.
So I guess that you'll want to go for the Essential edition as it is cheaper than the Business edition.

9 years 10 months ago #160488

I bought the commercial version and it displays the buttion for contact , but I still have the "FREE" on each product. How to I get rid of that or do I just have to edit that variable?

Thanks,
Wendell

• Thank you received: 747
9 years 10 months ago #160491

wendell01,

As mentioned multiple times earlier here in the thread, you use a language override. It's a basic Joomla feature, and you'll find the "how-to" here depending on your Joomla version: docs.joomla.org/Language_Overrides_in_Joomla , and even here in the HikaShop documentation: hikashop.com/download/languages.html#modify

Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mohamed Thelji

9 years 10 months ago #160672

Sorry, but I did realize that particular method had been covered, I just wondered if the commercial version had something additional including the form.
Thanks,
Wendell

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds