Category Listings Menu item is empty after Joomla 3.8.9/.10 upgrade

• Thank you received: 13036
5 years 8 months ago #294941

Hi,

@ron.janssen@opreij.nl:
We got the access.
As far as I could see however, your problem is not linked to the update.
The issue is that in the settings of your "webshop" menu item, you've configured the "main category" to be "product category" and the "sub elements filter" to be "direct sub elements":
monosnap.com/file/ZEJ34OqZRn2iOSOAIEyrSAnEx9a3x4
However, you don't have any published products directly under the "product category" category:
monosnap.com/file/HTmmCbmq2erHrRJzvqRDK0AYyscTem
So either change the "sub elements fitler" setting of your menu item to "all sub elements" or change the type of your menu item to a listing of categories instead of a listing of products and it will display something.
Also, note that when I tried to edit your menu item, I got a 500 HTTP error.
I had to activate the "error reporting" and "debug mode" settings of your Joomla configuration in order to get the real error message:
Fatal error: Cannot use object of type stdClass as array in /public_html/plugins/system/helix3/helix3.php on line 31
Then, in order to access the settings of the menu item, I had to temporarily disable the system helix3 plugin.
I would recommend to check about that error with your template provider.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ron.janssen@opreij.nl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 94
5 years 8 months ago #294956

There is a known issue with Helix in Joomla 3.8.9 / 3.8.10 - github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/issues/20879

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

Polished Geek: more with monday․com
eCommerce Business Process Automation Experts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerome

• Thank you received: 11
  • Hikashop Business
5 years 8 months ago #295364

I just upgraded to Joomla 3.8.10 and I'm having this problem. Will the patch work for this version? www.hikashop.com/forum/install-update/89...-upgrade.html#294471

Hikashop 3.5.0

Thanks!

• Hikashop Business
5 years 8 months ago #295365

In your note you said that the patches have been added into HikaShop 3.4.1 release. I have versions 3.5.0 and I checked the files and they appear to be correct but my products are still not showing.

The only file that I updated is my override category > listing file but the products are still not showing.

Thanks!

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by MyWorld.

• Hikashop Business
5 years 8 months ago #295366

Looks like my browser was the issue. I cleared my cache and all appears ok now.

Thanks!

• Thank you received: 0
5 years 8 months ago #295594

nicolas wrote: Hi,

@umek:
HikaShop 2.6.3 is not supposed to be compatible with Joomla 3.8. It's already a miracle that you're able to use it without it crashing everywhere.
Update your HikaShop to the 3.4.1, that should help.

we where running 2.6.4 fine 'till the last joomla update came . well i guess it's time for an update. that scares me.

5 years 8 months ago #295596

Hi,

The best is to first do a copy of your website and test the update on the copy. That way, if you see any issue, you can contact the appropriate parties for help so that when you do the update on the live website, you know what to do so that it works like before after the update.

• Thank you received: 7
5 years 6 months ago #297814

I thought the whole point of template over rides was to isolate any display customisations from changes in the core, the idea being that you don't have to hack core files every time you get a functional update. This isn't the first time I've had to go in and hack a template overide because an update breaks one of my sites. Fortunately this wasn't on a live site but to have a site broken in this way after an update is not very good.

Please review the way you implement templates and remove functional code so that the templates handle presentation only.

Thanks,

Ian

5 years 6 months ago #297817

Hi,

This issue arrose from the code displaying the listing of the products inside a listing of categories. The way to access the settings of menu items was changed by Joomla.
While the code to load these settings could be moved outside of the view file, the real issue is that template providers often do overrides of files that they actually don't change. The listing_div view file which was impacted here is a good example. Most of the time (each time I had to do it for someone in the past 8 years), if you rename that override provided by your template, you'll find that the display of the categories listing doesn't change at all.
So while using view overrides to do customization reduces the risk of an issue after an update, it would be even better if you can reduce the view overrides themselves. In many cases, view overrides are done for things that could be do in pure CSS or a plugin or with a better override (still load the original file after changing the data or do some str_replace of the HTML after loading the original file) which would again greatly reduce the probability of something breaking with an update. And sometimes, people even do overrides of things that don't change at all. It oftn happens with the Joomla view overrides creator which generates the overrides of all the files in a view instead of only doing it for the ones you would need to modify.

• Thank you received: 7
5 years 6 months ago #297863

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for the reply.

In this case the template over-ride was one I wrote myself ( along with additional css ) to get a very specific layout, and personally I find the over ride system is generally a much simpler way of doing things than writing plug-ins or odd bits of php code, and simpler for anyone who has to work on the site after me to understand as it's a universally standard way of doing things.

If this had been a live site in which, after a seemingly insignificant update, all the products disappeared I and my client would have been very unhappy. I do take backups just before doing updates but it takes a while to restore them and then it took me a couple of hours to figure out what was going on. I just don't need that kind of hassle and it puts me in fear every time I install a Hikashop update, so my plea to you is, please stick to the accepted way of doing things and don't put potential site breakers in templates!

Many thanks,

Ian

5 years 6 months ago #297869

Hi,

We try as much as possible.

The following user(s) said Thank You: iedwards

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds