pre-sales question for HikaSerial

• Thank you received: 3
11 years 7 months ago #66772

Hi,

I sell an add-package X for a program named Y using HikaShop on my website. For some time I've been looking for a better way to tie activations my software to HikaShop orders and HikaSerial looks interesting. Before I buy it I would like to confirm that it can support my workflow.

The licencing works like this. Each Y installation has a 6-char seat number, and each X licence allows the user to upgrade the facilities of a particular Y seat. Experience has shown that it is more convenient to make this assignment during the installation of X on Y, because often the person buying hasn't decided exactly which workstation(s) in their office will upgraded.

So right now my installer script tells my site the seat number and my site returns a licence file that locks my software to that seat. This allows activations to be monitored per registered user but not restricted. There is no tie-up between activation and a paid-up order. This is mildly unsatisfactory although in practice there are very few problems.

Ideally I would like each licence purchased to deliver a unique token that can be exchanged for one and only one licence file per seat. Hope I've explained this well - my question is can HikaSerial help do this? and how?

Conrad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
11 years 7 months ago #66802

Hi,

The main goal of HikaSerial is to generate unique data.
You can generate your serial using a specific algorithm. The algorithm could create key which would depend on the "6-char seat number".
You can generate random serials and associate extra data during the order.
With HikaSerial web-services, the software could check (and consume) the serial.
HikaSerial could generate more than a simple text serial, it could create files too and update the HikaShop order (in order to add a downloadable file for example).

So yes, HikaSerial can help you to do this, I see several possible implementations but I am not sure which one would be the best for you and your current software implementation.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

• Thank you received: 3
11 years 7 months ago #66804

Sounds interesting but I'm still not quite clear about how this is going to work. The major issue with HikaShop is that for example if someone buys 2 licences this order appears as one line in the database with quantity 2, so you cannot allocate a seat number to the order since there may be more than one. And the seat number is allocated typically during installation not at the time of purchase.

If I decide to buy HikaSerial are you willing to assist in implementing the solution?

• Thank you received: 4004
11 years 7 months ago #66807

Hi,

Two products in one order would generate two different serials.
So buying two products in the same order or in two different order would generate the same content : two serials.
Each serial would be "stand alone", it would have it own "extra data", it own status, etc.

HikaSerial license came with a one year free support.
But the free support does not include development. So we can answer your development questions, but we won't do it for you as that would be an extra.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

Moderators: Obsidev
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds