Selling e-books and webinars

• Thank you received: 20
  • Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #88870

We have a client who sells DRM-protected e-books and webinars. I love Hikashop but have used it strictly for selling merchandise. How do I set it up for selling digital products? This is a very rapidly growing field. I did see that Serial has an e-books plugin. www.hikashop.com/en/hikashop/155-hikaser...ecureebook-form.html . Where can I see a demonstration; and is there a similar plugin for webinars? Hikashop has so many other friendly features, I hope to make it the hub of this solution. To have it in our toolkit would be invaluable.
Thanks,
-jgribble
Javelin Communications

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
11 years 1 month ago #88898

Hi,

The secure-ebook plugin works with the secure-ebook platform. You can read more about the plugin in the HikaSerial documentation.
HikaShop have a good digital download system. For sure, we use it for this website to sell our products.

After that, in HikaSerial you have the consume system which would allow you to create consumable serials.
With a consuming plugin, you can execute special action when a specific serial is consumed (for a specific pack, of for all packs).
Our example plugin is a "group association" plugin. You can create serials which would allow user to join a specific joomla group by entering the serial.
But you can imagine a lot of thing, like an access to a private section of the website for example.

Downloading files after purchase is already implemented in HikaShop with all required features (limitation on number and duration) so HikaSerial would not be needed for this.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

• Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #88988

Thanks for reassuring me that all of this is possible! However, how to actually do it is not obvious from the documentation. Would you consider doing a tutorial on setting up Hikashop as a download system for DRM-protected files? And how to use Serial as a system for streaming subscription videos? These are two increasingly common needs. I anticipate that more clients in the near future will become Hikashop customers if we can offer these two out-of-the-box solutions. We have an imminent need for a Business subscription, with more to follow in the coming months, based on new-client inquiries to us. We already recommend Hikashop for selling hard goods online. We want to expand that quickly to digital products, namely the two above: ebooks and webinars.
Thanks,
-jgribble
Javelin Communications

11 years 1 month ago #88993

Hi,

Selling digital products is not complicated.
There is a section "files" in the product editing page where you can specify the downloadable files.
A "free" file could be download even if the user did not bough the product, other would required it.
www.hikashop.com/en/support/documentatio...duct-form.html#files

About HikaSerial and streaming subscription videos, there is not such "out-of-the-box" feature, it's something which has to be implemented/integrated with your streaming video extension.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

• Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #89000

Thanks, Jerome. I will look at that documentation relative to downloading files. What about adding DRM? The client doesn't want the books to be passed around for free, especially among the many members who are college students. We were thinking of using this: community.haihaisoft.com/node/46 . Also, can you recommend a streaming video utility that has worked successfully with Hikashop?
-jgribble
Javelin Communications

11 years 1 month ago #89124

Hi,

HikaShop does not have a DRM system, we just provide a secure download section.
Customer would not be able to download the secured files without having bough the product. The download file is "just" a file but thanks to a plugin, you can create dynamic content files (like HikaSerial does with some of his plugins).

I could not recommend a streaming video utility because I don't know them.
The only thing that I could recommend you is the joomla extension directory : extensions.joomla.org

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Jerome.

• Hikashop Business
11 years 1 month ago #89217

Jerome,
Would I have to write my own plugin? Would rather not be forced to. While this is great for open-source products, the commercial world is all about copyrighted products. I already explored Joomla extensions for possible video feed tools. To make these things easier to do with Hikashop would greatly enhance your product, if I may suggest.
If anyone out there in the community already has overcome these challenges, please contact me. There would be a market for a plug-and-play Joomla system for selling DRM-protected e-books and webinar subscriptions.
-jgribble
Javelin Communications

11 years 1 month ago #89266

Hi,

It's a good idea and I think you would be able to found someone thanks to our "commercial jobs" section.
Plugins that I have included in HikaSerial are all open-source and I made some in order to provide examples.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com

Moderators: Obsidev
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds